Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2018, 08:49 AM

I did an Advanced Gold series battery. It has a three year warranty where they'll just replace it if there's a problem.

I bought one several years ago, it worked flawlessly. One day car wouldn't start, push started my way to there to get the battery tested - it tested "OK" but they replaced it anyway since the car wouldn't start.

I then replaced ignition coils on my car, which fixed the actual problem. Wound up with a new battery even though it probably didn't need one. Which was nice.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Remember these? Sears Allstate m/c. Some from 'Monkey ward' too
I think the one on the left was made by Gilera (Italy) and the one on the right, Puch (Austria). Some of the better Sears bicycles were also made by Puch.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
My dad used to love all things Sears. boots, diehard batteries, snow blowers, craftsman tools, etc.
The Sears we went to in the early 70s had the most amazing candy counter. All the good stuff on the first floor - candy, tools, hardware, sporting goods. Toughskins on the second floor.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:06 PM

I have no idea what battery i have but i was pleasently suprised when i started the car today after storing it 6 months ago. Im sure this is not that uncommon but i had prepared for the worst. It looked so neglected and filthy :/
But it started with a second of turning the key

Now for the spill under the car... hopefully just a loose coolant hose or similar :/
Old 04-24-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
I think that all the American made batteries are pretty much crap--the OEM batteries from Europe/Japan seem much better, but as has been said, there are only a couple of US makers, and even premium brands like Interstate are not what they used to be.
When the battery gave out on my Mercedes wagon, it turned out it was the original with 13 years and 160K miles. So I replaced with another OEM battery.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:44 PM

used one off of craigslist
Old 04-24-2018, 06:52 PM

In SD AAA is a good supplier of batteries to members. They come to you, test your battery and charging system to see what is needed. If it's a battery they install a new one for about $130 and haul off the old one. The new battery is Guaranteed (not pro-rated replacement) for 3 years. I don't know what they might do for a non-member.
The funny thing is:the battery in my 2004 BMW lasted 10 years and my 11 year-old MINI still has its original battery. Our 2014 MAZDA battery died at 38 months. OTOH the MAZDA has a lot more electronics than the older cars so there is more demand on the battery.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
In SD AAA is a good supplier of batteries to members. They come to you, test your battery and charging system to see what is needed. If it's a battery they install a new one for about $130 and haul off the old one. The new battery is Guaranteed (not pro-rated replacement) for 3 years. I don't know what they might do for a non-member.
The funny thing is:the battery in my 2004 BMW lasted 10 years and my 11 year-old MINI still has its original battery. Our 2014 MAZDA battery died at 38 months. OTOH the MAZDA has a lot more electronics than the older cars so there is more demand on the battery.
my guess is a battery (and a cyclist...) has quite a bit of an easier life in la jolla then Lincoln NE, where the OP lives. Not too many COLD starts down your way Ken!
Old 04-24-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
When the battery gave out on my Mercedes wagon, it turned out it was the original with 13 years and 160K miles. So I replaced with another OEM battery.
My pal has a BMW repair facility and he says the original German batteries are amazingly long-lived but the ones sold in the USA are made in the USA and not nearly as good. He sells Interstate batteries instead because he thinks they are a better value than so-called OEM from BMW.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:21 PM

Walmart has batteries-
Old 04-24-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
My pal has a BMW repair facility and he says the original German batteries are amazingly long-lived but the ones sold in the USA are made in the USA and not nearly as good. He sells Interstate batteries instead because he thinks they are a better value than so-called OEM from BMW.
In my case it was a Varta battery made in Germany, installed by MB roadside tech, looked identical to the original battery.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
most car batteries manufactured in the usa are made by just three companies, johnson controls, exide and delphi (formerly delco). the last battery i bought at walmart (johnson controls). free installation. still going strong three years later. also they put anticorrosive on the terminals at no extra charge. very satisfied.
True.....just get one cheapest. On a new car, I like to get one that matches the rest of the engine compartment. There is probably a difference in a battery advertised for 6 years instead of a 3 year......but otherwise, I don't think there is a difference. Going by above posts....some of their advertisements are quite effective.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
I think the one on the left was made by Gilera (Italy) and the one on the right, Puch (Austria). Some of the better Sears bicycles were also made by Puch.
Ooh la la, beautiful motorcycles those two!
This was the lower of their two Steyr/Puch-built road models from 1968.
The better one was "Ted Williams" branded, just like my barbell set Circa '68.
It's a great-riding bike, even with steel rims. I took this picture after swapping out the bar and stem:

Last edited by dddd; 04-24-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
In my case it was a Varta battery made in Germany, installed by MB roadside tech, looked identical to the original battery.
Probably was a good German battery if it said "Varta". OTOH if you already have 160,000 miles on the car how many more will it go for you? 3 years might be plenty? How much did the Varta cost?
Old 04-24-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
my guess is a battery (and a cyclist...) has quite a bit of an easier life in la jolla then Lincoln NE, where the OP lives. Not too many COLD starts down your way Ken!
Hey, I've seen ice in the canyons before 7am on a few mornings. Of course heat is a battery killer too.