Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 09:40 AM
needs adult supervision

Wow. Thanks for sharing. California is like New Zealand: feels like it has every climate and terrain within one border.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:27 AM

Sounds like a great trip. Hope to ride some of those places myself. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:57 AM

Awesome pics! Awesomer adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Last stop was Sonoma/Napa area.

Beautiful scenery, vistas, winding quiet back roads, but man....

the actual roads out in Sonoma county are a damn mess. terrible blacktop, lots of potholes. and yes, a couple of flats. my only two of the trip...
Definite proof that you did actually ride here. Our roads make gravel and dirt feel like a velodrome.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Awesome pics! Awesomer adventure!

Definite proof that you did actually ride here. Our roads make gravel and dirt feel like a velodrome.
you're not kidding. at one point too, i was forced deep into the shoulder of the road by a mercedes SUV and had no choice but to hit a square edge pothole bang on. pinch flatted immediately. ugh.

i wound up staying in Petaluma actually. Great little spot you've got over there.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:03 AM
mentholated

those tiny socks scream socal triathelete.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:11 AM

first, california is nothing like New Zealand. one is pristine, with ample water, and very few people. the other is crowded af, always building more, and always out of clean water.

second, awesome trip. looks like some amazing rides and fun
Old 04-23-2018, 11:30 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
first, california is nothing like New Zealand. one is pristine, with ample water, and very few people. the other is crowded af, always building more, and always out of clean water.

It’s posts like this that make this place a PIA. We each are entitled to our views. By all means, disagree, just don’t do it in such a jerk way. Having spent time in both places, I can see clearly how they’re alike and different. Respect that others differ from you.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
It’s posts like this that make this place a PIA. We each are entitled to our views. By all means, disagree, just don’t do it in such a jerk way. Having spent time in both places, I can see clearly how they’re alike and different. Respect that others differ from you.
whoa sorry brother, didn't know my post came off as anything beyond playful. downplaying my home state of California, while propping up my most favorite place on earth, New Zealand, not exactly political discussion as much as nonsensical completely inconsequential banter.

carry on folks, and pay no mind to my opinions, as they are whats wrong with this place.

and have a great week
Old 04-23-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post

unfortunately these oregoners are very salty about us california folks moving in and buying all their cheap real estate. it must be because every time i flick on the tap water nothing comes out, and when i leave my home all i see are cranes building skyscrapers and additional housing for everyone.

portland still my fav city in the us, can't wait to move in one day and trigger the natives

Last edited by cinema; 04-23-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Wow. Thanks for sharing. California is like New Zealand: feels like it has every climate and terrain within one border.
Heck, it has that within one county. Some years ago I went cross-country skiing on Palomar Mountain in the morning at body surfing in La Jolla in the afternoon. It was a little chilly in the ocean but I really wanted to be able to brag about doing it.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
unfortunately there oregoners are very salty about us california folks moving in and buying all their cheap real estate. it must be because every time i flick on the tap water nothing comes out, and when i leave my home all i see are cranes building skyscrapers and additional housing for everyone
I am a Californian, born and raised, UC Santa Barbara grad, who choose to move north. The playful exaggerations are yours to take as you like. I have a sense of humor about my home, perhpas others don't. bit of a case of the mondays in here it seems.

yes, California is a massive state with a lot of different things to offer. if my statements are offensive to anyone, sorry about that. and sorry to derail a nice ride report, i was not aware talking about a geographical region would be taken personally.

Last edited by Mzilliox; 04-23-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:17 PM

subscribing to this, putting it on bucket list.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:30 PM
Administrator

the northeast definitely has it's charms, and plenty of access to outdoor activities, but i find myself enamored with California, and the upper PNW also.

there is literally just a couple lifetimes worth of stuff to see, ride and explore.

even though california may be very crowded in parts, it's still very much possible to get lost an not see another soul for days. also, as some know i'm in the power business, and work often with the irrigation districts of various states and understand the water challenges facing the state.

anyway, to keep the positive vibes rolling in this thread, the great news is that Pliny IPA was on tap in lots of places, which is delicious. and! i bought this awesome water bottle at Mike's Bikes.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:35 PM

No one ever goes there because it's a huge drive from everywhere with no airport, but the North Coast region is pretty amazing too... Excited to be moving back up to Humboldt soon.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
... i wound up staying in Petaluma actually. Great little spot you've got over there.
... and you didn't drop by to say hi? Bad form.