Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2018, 12:49 PM

ee brakes - better braking?

I've had ee brakes on my Moots for about 3 months and I gotta say, I am not really impressed with them. Shortly after, I got the new Mavic Ksyrium Pro UST wheels (aluminum) and was using Shimano Dura Ace pads. Braking was weak.

I recently changed to SwissStop FlashPro, which were recommended from Mavic, and I am still not impressed.

Any advice or thoughts?
Old 04-03-2018, 12:54 PM

They set up properly?

Cuz both sets I have were the equal of the Mavic or Campagnolo Record skeletons I was using previously in stopping power.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:00 PM
aka RAEKWON

to me they don't brake better than any of the big players but equally... however they are much lighter, look cool, and the pad mechanism amazing (so easy to replace).

you have to set em up properly, the distance of the begining of the folding arm and the end has to be right or they won't brake very well
Old 04-03-2018, 01:16 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
They set up properly?

Cuz both sets I have were the equal of the Mavic or Campagnolo Record skeletons I was using previously in stopping power.
yes the setup is crucial. I had my front set up properly, proper compression distance on the pivot arm and was great, back was not good, mushy and then I looked at it and that the manual and figured out I set it up wrong.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:20 PM

I agree with the comments above about setup. I have the direct-mount version and they work great. The true test for me was descending Tuna Canyon in LA at warp speed and they did their job on par with anything I've had from the big manufacturers.

Last edited by earlfoss; 04-03-2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: I can't spell "warp" I guess...
Old 04-03-2018, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
descending Tuna Canyon in LA
awesome, fun descent!
Old 04-03-2018, 01:25 PM

The whole point of the EE brake caliper, was to offer comparable braking performance as the big brands, but in a lighter package. If you're looking for the best braking, then disc brakes are what you seek. My EE brakes are stronger and lighter than my Super Record brakes, and changing the pads is something I can do with my fingers...
Old 04-03-2018, 01:54 PM

I've had ee brakes for the better part of 3 seasons. Set up is important as mentioned.

They feel different than Shimano brakes. While just about everyone universally loves Ultegra and DA brakes, I personally find the feel to be very much like slightly overboosted power brakes in a car-there is lots of initial bite but difficult to modulate. EE is more of a linear feel, substantially less initial bite, but plenty of stopping power without a ton of lever effort.

If you like the Shimano feel, then yeah, you might be unimpressed.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:17 PM
Vendor

I’ve had EEs for a few years. It took me a few tries to get the housing cut to the proper length but since then they’ve been great. I recently put in some Kool Stop dual compound pads and they’re now my favorite pad.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:21 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
I’ve had EEs for a few years. It took me a few tries to get the housing cut to the proper length but since then they’ve been great. I recently put in some Kool Stop dual compound pads and they’re now my favorite pad.
yes, the cable length, specially on the rear brake is VERY important.

The way the cable bike on my bike was, made for the rear brake to be kind of crazy (cable came straight out of the isp on the back, looked cool but a PITA to set up the brake. Now its changed to good ole normal routing and its great.

To me, the 2 downsides of EE brakes. 1. price, 2. a pain to clean.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
yes, the cable length, specially on the rear brake is VERY important.

The way the cable bike on my bike was, made for the rear brake to be kind of crazy (cable came straight out of the isp on the back, looked cool but a PITA to set up the brake. Now its changed to good ole normal routing and its great.

To me, the 2 downsides of EE brakes. 1. price, 2. a pain to clean.
This, I found the front a breeze to setup, and stopping power is similar to record calipers (i refuse to say its better, because i doubt its better).

the rear i had to re cut the housing, added a bit more, the cable pull really matters for the rear, luckily the rear brakes hardly matter.

once i got it figured out it works nearly as well as a record caliper in the back.

they are half as light, if not lighter, so thats cool, but im nto sure they are worth the price of admission unless your goal is fully weight weenie
Old 04-03-2018, 05:19 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
This, I found the front a breeze to setup, and stopping power is similar to record calipers (i refuse to say its better, because i doubt its better).

the rear i had to re cut the housing, added a bit more, the cable pull really matters for the rear, luckily the rear brakes hardly matter.

once i got it figured out it works nearly as well as a record caliper in the back.

they are half as light, if not lighter, so thats cool, but im nto sure they are worth the price of admission unless your goal is fully weight weenie
I agree with this statement. They are super cool and if I had the money I would buy them again but unless you are a crazy weight weenie, a chorus/record/srecord will brake the same. I don't think ee brakes better but equally for sure. I got my set for a crazy deal and only reason I have them but I am really glad I have them, I really enjoy them.

Oh modulation is great as someone said, on that I think might be better than campy
Old 04-03-2018, 05:43 PM

I prefer the modulation, the weight's a no brainer, and the clearance is superior to other brakes.

And they look cool. But yes, butt puckeringly expensive.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:17 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
I've had ee brakes on my Moots for about 3 months and I gotta say, I am not really impressed with them. Shortly after, I got the new Mavic Ksyrium Pro UST wheels (aluminum) and was using Shimano Dura Ace pads. Braking was weak.

I recently changed to SwissStop FlashPro, which were recommended from Mavic, and I am still not impressed.

Any advice or thoughts?
Shimano or Campagnolo brake calipers...
Old 04-03-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
The whole point of the EE brake caliper, was to offer comparable braking performance as the big brands, but in a lighter package. If you're looking for the best braking, then disc brakes are what you seek. My EE brakes are stronger and lighter than my Super Record brakes, and changing the pads is something I can do with my fingers...
I don't even think disc brakes will brake better unless you count riding in the rain. I'm really not sure why people think powerful brakes are so important unless you're riding in traffic. Okay, I'm not racing and I'm not looking to push the limits on descents...just about all modern dual pivot brakes are pretty darn good with decent pads...just add some skills.