Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2018, 10:33 AM
cnighbor2

Morgan Territory Road

​Deb's Diversions

Here is a GPC ride I did with Robert Freeman
It goes around the back side of Mt. Diablo CA We did an early in the week GPC ride with Mark
If every out here in the SF Bay area I suggest doing this ride
Charles Nighbor
..Hi All,​

On Wednesday, April 25, we will meet at 10:00 a.m. at Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek and ride a loop over Morgan Territory Road and back through Black Hawk. There should still be water running in the creek and bird song to distract us on the big climb. This is a great time of year for this ride!

Here is the ridewithgps route that the leaders favor: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21074890

The ride is about 53 miles with one big climb. The bulk of the climb up Morgan Territory Rd is about 1100 ft. in 4.5 miles with 800 ft. coming in the last two miles. We will eat lunch at the picnic tables in Morgan Territory Reserve Park near the summit (water and restrooms). On the way to Morgan Territory, We will regroup in Clayton, with restrooms and a store (with questionable food selection--bring your own lunch). On the way back, we will regroup in Blackhawk for further refreshments at Draeger's Market: TURN RIGHT where the Black Hawk Road (Crow Canyon on the left) intersects Camino Tassajara, and then turn right again into the shopping center.

To get to Heather Farm Park, take BART to Pleasant Hill, and follow http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1098258 to Heather Farm Park (Iron Horse Trail and Canal Trail). Co-leaders Pat Greene and Chris Witt plan to be on the train that arrives at PH BART at 9:35.

If you are driving take Ygnacio Valley Rd. east from Hwy 680. About 2 miles east of Hwy 680 turn left on San Carlos Dr. Meet in the second parking area on the left - across the road from the ball fields.

For more information contact Pat Greene pjgreene@sonic.net, cell 415 481 5469, or Chris Witt ctwitt@sonic.net
Old 04-24-2018, 03:20 PM

what a great lookin route! I don't live in the area but have done my fair share of riding there and wish I was around for this one!
Old 04-24-2018, 05:10 PM

This is a great ride, and headed up the Walnut creek side is not a really easy endeavor. Going up Diablo to the top from the Diablo side, then back down the saddle into Walnut creek and up the Morgan Territory road, back into Danville was about 70 miles and about 7300 ft if I remember correctly...

The decent from the top of Morgan Ter is one of the finest stretches of road I have flown down. It is barely a car and a half in width, its just gorgeous...

Thanks for bringing this grand memory back!

Stephen
Old 04-24-2018, 05:12 PM

Morgan Territory is so beautiful this time of year
Old 04-24-2018, 05:29 PM

Devil Mountain Double Century

Does Morgan, Diablo and Sierra road
19K feet of climbing
Smead did this fixed
I did it three times--once on a tandem--OUCH
Old 04-24-2018, 05:37 PM
Administrator

lucky devils you are who have easy access to this. looks great!

i'll add it to the list!
Old 04-24-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmojo View Post
Does Morgan, Diablo and Sierra road
19K feet of climbing
Smead did this fixed
I did it three times--once on a tandem--OUCH
DMD is this Saturday, it will be my 7th. No Mt Hamilton and no Sierra Rd in this edition due to road closures, it will be only 15.5K of climbing
Old 04-24-2018, 08:14 PM

too bad about road closures

where will it go instead?
BTW you ride everything don’t you?
how many Tams, Terribles, Mulhollands?
Old 04-25-2018, 09:44 AM

DMD is making a turn around at about the 125 mile mark as there is construction further up on HW 130.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26998610

I rode it 7 years in a row and got burnt out so I have taken the past couple of years off. Also have finished 5 TT's, 3 Alta Alpina 8 passes and I think 4 or 5 Mt. Tam's. Riding doubles can get expensive.

Fortunately Morgan Territory is not too far away to enjoy and it ticks all the boxes that I like about cycling. Only downside is the local residents that don't like cyclists.