Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund View Post
FYI
PedEx / Pedal Expresss is a courier operation in Oakland. I would avoid this name as the messenger world is pretty tight knit. One would feel pretty silly showing up to a CMWC (Cycle Messenger World Championships) representing a new company only to find out that name was taken 20+ years ago.
I agree, ideally u want a name that is not taken but there are a lot of small outfits around the world. For instance, Pedal was the first or maybe 2nd courier company to launch in stockholm in the 90s so its not only just taken, its actually allrdy copied as well

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 04-24-2018 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:43 AM

Thanks all who participated and came up with ideas and thoughts. Much appreciated. In the end we agreed upon naming ourself JOYRIDE. This came about as our 3rd customer asked what we were called and i again tried to come up with something, just anything to say really. I looked at his t-shirt and it said Joyride. I think he was in to motorcycles and this was somehow related to that.

I said well u know joyride is not such a bad name and pointed towards the logo on his chest.

I guess thats how these things work themselves out..

Cheers

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 05-03-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:51 AM

Just wanted to share a bit.

We have been running this company for about a year now. We are very small and currently only 4-5 riders daily. It only took 6 months or so for us to achieve the same salaries as the company we used to work for, even starting from scratch. In the next 6 month until today we have put another 50% on top of our previous salary so we are at 150% of what we left now i guess.

Now we are bike couriers so we are still under paid ofcourse. Not joking as we work really hard and are really good at our jobs.

Personally i was never in it for the money (really? lol) but its sort of been a mission of mine to provide better economics for couriers or at least for a few of us as ive been one for something like 17 years now. I really love doing my job but its always felt like it was way to hard to be a courier and have a normal life with bills to pay etc. Once you get older most ppl quit and start doing something else as the life-puzzle wasent really working out for most.

Not saying i or we have solved anything really but im real proud of what we have achieved thus far. We are doing what we love doing and now getting paid at least a decent amount for it that we can live off of.

We practically have no costs and we split the income. We take orders via whatsap and have free telephone boards and zello for communication etc. All the tech one could want for free.

We have set up a google sheet to do do all our invoicing for us, also for free at the touch of a button. Its amazing what one can do with abit of time (okay lots of time) and a lot of willingness. I dident even know google sheets existed before this..

For me who is not really a person that likes to look to far a head and to start things up as i tend to see problems everywhere (i tend to think further than most and im bit anal) and i need to know i can fix them before i jump onboard stuff.. It has been a great experience to see how far you can come by just doing stuff and getting started, really thats all it takes. I wish perhaps i have realized this earlier in life. Because it has also been so much fun to make this journey and continue to try and improve and get more customers and potentially get another rider to join us etc.

Not sure this is my dream but its something i really like doing, perhaps more so now than i have in the last decade at least. Live your dream ppl! even if its small

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 05-30-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Excellent news! Congrats and continued good luck!

William
Old 05-30-2019, 10:16 AM
Classics Fan

That makes me happy to hear, and I am proud of your for taking the risk, and happy it is working out. Does paceline get a share of revenues for coming up with the name??

I too wish I had taken more risk in the past, and maybe not been so conservative with certain choices.

Keep fighting the good fight.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:22 AM
needs adult supervision

Yay!!!!! Awesome to hear of your success and even better, your happiness. It's truly a beautiful thing. Can't think of a better way to earn a living than by your own guts, wits and sweat. You've created some just, honorable and bigger than yourself. Bravo!!
Old 05-30-2019, 11:45 AM

Thank you guys! I appreciate your kind words

Demonstration of the heart of the operations. Our own designed google worksheet.

So those who email their order to us it goes straight into our worksheet for the day. Info like from who and to whom and the times and addresses will be automatically filled in. Those who call us or use whatsapp to order our services we will fill in the data ourselves into the worksheet.

We have a despatch and a person in charge of the day but he is also riding as to minimize our expenses.

So in this pic we can see the assignments thus far for a day.
Now the despatch can choose to assign these jobs to a courier. By just using the drop down menu in the "cyclist" column and choose whoever is best for that particular job (in despatchs opinon at least

Here despatch have assigned a few jobs to some couriers. We see the names for each job in the cyclists column.

Now each courier and despatch who all see and work in this same document can go to the tab "cyklist" and see the below view. All jobs assigned to each of the cyclist in order by cyclist and then in the time it must be delivered. So more urgent are obviously further up. Each cyclist get a color as to not confuse their jobs with the other couriers. The beauty is we can all see each others jobs and help out pretty fast when someone is in a jam or when we think we are better suited for that job perhaps. We all split the cash so there are no egos involved here, common goal to deliver as many packages as nice and smooth as possible for us and our customers.

When a courier has made a delivery he just types in a name in the "pod" (proof of delivery) cell and that job will be assigned a time stamp and then it will disappear from the couriers worklist. We also have a tab "Ej despatchat" that we can check all work that is yet to be assigned to anyone so if somebody thinks it fits his path he can just assign it to himself.

I have worked in a lot of programs designed for couriers some very expensive even and this is my favourite by far and it was free! Gotta love the amazing possibilities of todays world. Well free if you are not counting the countless hours i spent on it. And it will do the billing for us as well at the end of the month. Pretty neat imo.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 05-30-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:49 AM
Vendor

Tip of the hat to you for going out and making your mark.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:04 PM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
As me and a few friends are braking out and opening our own messenger company im thinking of names. We are in Sweden but english names totally work here so was hoping you guys were up for dropping some names?

Please feel free to go wild or by all means be boring and appropriately corporate as well .)

Im thankful for all suggestions and or any inspiration.

Cheers

So late to this but Joyride would be dope. You can get Roxette to advertise for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCorJG9mubk
Old 05-30-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
So late to this but Joyride would be dope. You can get Roxette to advertise for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCorJG9mubk
Yes we play it from time to time .)

Id ask Per about that only rumours are he is cheap!
Old 05-30-2019, 12:11 PM

I was thinking to name it Specialized Courier Services or Epic Courier. The ensuing cease-and-desist letter would be good publicity for you.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:14 PM

Hahah not a bad idea actually
Old 05-30-2019, 01:52 PM

Congrats, this is awesome.
I can only imagine how happy and satisfied you and your team must be for pulling this off!

On a side note, is there really a "Woodstockholm"?
Old 05-30-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Congrats, this is awesome.
I can only imagine how happy and satisfied you and your team must be for pulling this off!

On a side note, is there really a "Woodstockholm"?
Thanks.

Yes there is (a restaurant) hmm maybe i should have used a "marker" on some data .)
Old 05-30-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post

For me who is not really a person that likes to look to far a head and to start things up as i tend to see problems everywhere (i tend to think further than most and im bit anal) and i need to know i can fix them before i jump onboard stuff.. It has been a great experience to see how far you can come by just doing stuff and getting started, really thats all it takes. I wish perhaps i have realized this earlier in life..........

Not sure this is my dream but its something i really like doing, perhaps more so now than i have in the last decade at least. Live your dream ppl! even if its small
Congrats and glad to hear its going very well.

Ive already sent the above excerpt around as inspiration to some friends who are suffering a bit from "analysis paralysis" in making similar changes.

Wishing you much success in the future.