Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Rotor..some propaganda here.

https://rotorbike.com/5-advantages-o...gear-shifting/

The FSA is another that just can't seem to come to market. 'Wireless' light..ders are hard wired to battery(internal), shifters are wireless.

BUT I think a smart front der(no shifter), ala XTR, wireless RH shifter and rear der(maybe hard wired to a battery) is 'next'...

Been wrong before tho

Haha yeah this industry in not always easy to get ahead of. But yeah a self controlled fd makes sense from a user perspective.

In the xtr set up how does one drop say 4 cogs in the rear and go to small chainrings as fast as possible? Just hold and you can set the time frame for fd to drop or upshift when in hold or similar?

Yeah i have not tried rotor and i have little urge to do so either. Well would be fun to test ofc but im not really a potential customer so to say.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I hear you. What prompts this question is the customs I see for sale in the Classified here that have barely been ridden. There is one there now that is tempting to me, but it's electronic-only, and I'm not personally interested in electronic shifting, so I'm out of the pool for that frame.
Marc,

Don't be put off by the electronic-only issue. Just get the Di2 parts you need and go with the flow if it's a bike you'd truly enjoy. I bought a Di2 carbon Serotta HSG a few years ago and it's been great. Ultegra Di2 is fantastic and simple to operate. I think an MIT engineering grad might be able to figure it out. Maybe.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:21 PM

I’ll be that guy that’s says, “You should think of resale when getting a custom frame”. My Built goes one step worse, it has now cable guides or ports. You can only use a wireless drivetrain. This makes the bike look as clean as possible. I was more concerned with that than resale. In fact, I love to say it looks and if it had cable guides I think it would driven me nuts.

Regarding to value of custom frames with electronic only drivetrains. I just sold a Seven frame in a matter of hours with an electronic only drivetrain for the price I wanted. I didn’t discount the bike frame because of that.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I’ll be that guy that’s says, “You should think of resale when getting a custom frame”. My Built goes one step worse, it has now cable guides or ports. You can only use a wireless drivetrain. This makes the bike look as clean as possible. I was more concerned with that than resale. In fact, I love to say it looks and if it had cable guides I think it would driven me nuts.

Regarding to value of custom frames with electronic only drivetrains. I just sold a Seven frame in a matter of hours with an electronic only drivetrain for the price I wanted. I didn’t discount the bike frame because of that.
Hmm not sure your price example makes much sense as to draw conclusions from.

Its easier to sell something used for "what you want" when you only want a 5th of retail .)
Old 01-19-2020, 12:54 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Rotor..some propaganda here.

https://rotorbike.com/5-advantages-o...gear-shifting/

The FSA is another that just can't seem to come to market. 'Wireless' light..ders are hard wired to battery(internal), shifters are wireless.

BUT I think a smart front der(no shifter), ala XTR, wireless RH shifter and rear der(maybe hard wired to a battery) is 'next'...

Been wrong before tho

I've built 7 FSA WE bikes in the last year. The kits been on the market for a over a year and it works wonderfully. I have a disc WE build in the works for a mag/website review right now. Might have it at NAHBS.

I personally love it. I love the features it offers and the things they did to it. Everything is either stainless, alloy, titanium or composites. They offer two hand sizes for the levers. A lever if damaged is easily repaired/replaced. They offer small parts. It shifts perfectly and the lever shape is excellent. And the brake calipers, they fit shorter and long reach all in one caliper. It's a pretty slick kit.

No, it is not 100% wireless. And I am fine with that. It's a total of two wires. VS Shimano and Campy which are 4 or more. The lever batteries last 2 years. The seatpost battery gets 6,500 miles on a charge. That's pretty good. And the parts are light. As light as the big 3's highest end kits.

NOW, the Rotor UNO kit on the other hand, awful. The brake lever broke in shipping and I had to have a tech rep show up to repair it. It's not repairable by a shop. The piston is epoxied in the blade. The hoses are fragile. We had two damaged in shipping. The delta brake calipers, they rub and left metal shavings on the brake. There was a ton of drag on them and they didn't like retracting fully. The shifting was so bad, the reviewer never did a review of it. He didn't want it to take away from the frameset we sent. It's mentioned, but that's about it.

Before people say, well, you built it wrong or did a poor job installing it. The Rotor Tech Rep did the install. The bleed. The adjustments. I just cut up the frame to fit all the hosing. So it's not like I messed it up. I've done 2 UNO kits. One disc, one rim brake. Both had issues. I've been super disappointed with them.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:16 PM
aka RAEKWON

the fsa kit is cool but man, isnt it so FSA ugly.... Levers almost as ugly as GRX, the FD looks like a trash can and the RD is not much better. FSA actually has decent products, if only they could get a decent design team on it.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:21 PM

Ahh YOU were the one!

I was really trying to figure out how to fit that sweet frame. That geo looked sweet, nice & neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post

Old 01-19-2020, 02:23 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
the fsa kit is cool but man, isnt it so FSA ugly.... Levers almost as ugly as GRX, the FD looks like a trash can and the RD is not much better. FSA actually has decent products, if only they could get a decent design team on it.
I don't mind the looks of the levers and derailleurs. I'm not a fan of the crankset looks wise. I've told them so before.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:17 PM

I avoid buying custom anything no matter electronic or mechanic. If it´s made for someone else´s physiology/wishes/ eccentricities then it´s not made to fit me. When i buy a generic size in a brand´s line i know exactly what i am getting and any time i sell it the buyer knows exactly what he is getting.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:33 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
I avoid buying custom anything no matter electronic or mechanic. If it´s made for someone else´s physiology/wishes/ eccentricities then it´s not made to fit me. When i buy a generic size in a brand´s line i know exactly what i am getting and any time i sell it the buyer knows exactly what he is getting.
its true but there are a lot of custom bikes out there that are pretty generic as far tube sizing and geo.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
its true but there are a lot of custom bikes out there that are pretty generic as far tube sizing and geo.
What´s custom about it then?
Old 01-19-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Maybe just the paint. You can spend a lot on paint. That's one of my big complaints - if you want a frame only from a major brand it only comes in black.

I'm sick of black bikes.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Or the tube thickness and butting placement chosen to suit the riders weight and preferred riding style. There is more to custom than just size.

Tim
Old 01-19-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Or the tube thickness and butting placement chosen to suit the riders weight and preferred riding style. There is more to custom than just size.

Tim
Bike may be too stiff or too soft for someone else.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:04 PM

Build the custom YOU want, that's the whole point! You'll take a drubbing if you sell it regardless if mech or electronic..