Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2017, 09:22 AM

I probably have 8 sets. Zero problems.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:48 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I guess shouldn't pile on anymore but even in the ERA of Kry-For-Me-siriums..wonky FH body, unique, monthly changing, aluminum spoke lengths, frozen eyelets, barber-pole spokes(we had a nice collection)...and they weren't cheap..and don't forget the exploding R-Sys wheels('zis is not possible!')...I refuse to build with any mavic rim.
When Mavic first made wheels, they were excellent. Yes, the first Cosmic with the crazy freehub and it being alloy was silly. But once they switched to the 1st gen FTS, they were excellent. The first 3- Helium, Cosmic and Carbone wheels had wonderful internals. The wheels were solid. Standard spokes. Yes, the Helium had issues with the eyelet rings thing. But they were awesome.

When they switched 2 years later to the multiple versions with the cheaper German made hubs, things went down hill. The bearings weren't as good. They felt stiffer. Not as good as the French made wheels.

The change to the FTS-2 with the single bearing and bushing design was dumb. They didn't last compared to the double bearing ones. Toss in the alloy spokes, the alloy nipples, the carbon spokes. They just lost their way. I still love the older original wheels. But the new ones, yeah, cheap so lots of people get on them. But they suck. They're slow. The hubs and bearing suck. I have them as a stock option on bikes but only cause people love them and want them.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I guess shouldn't pile on anymore but even in the ERA of Kry-For-Me-siriums..wonky FH body, unique, monthly changing, aluminum spoke lengths, frozen eyelets, barber-pole spokes(we had a nice collection)...and they weren't cheap..and don't forget the exploding R-Sys wheels('zis is not possible!')...I refuse to build with any mavic rim.
True dat, and add in obscure spokes that are not available any more for the krysiriums.

Interesting thread in the WW wheel forum about a failed "new" style open pro that folded under the pressure of a tire lever. Sample size of one, but given the history and the rim weight, I'll stick with other options as above, and would add Al33 and Kinlin. Mavic has sunk to a 3rd tier company.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:07 AM

I've got 2 or maybe 3 sets of the old school OPs laced to Dura Ace or Ultegra. I'd like to move to something wider, more modern, better, but I haven't been able to wear these out yet.

Absolutely agree with the professionals here that if you are buying new, old-school Open Pros should not be on the top of your list.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:25 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Not sure you are talking about the very newest 2017 version, I don't think that is available in silver 36 hole, but I could be wrong. But I think this newest one looks interesting. Wider, lighter, pretty affordable, no wonky spokes and so far the reviews seem good. The disc version is 24mm exterior and 19mm interior and they look great.

I know Mavic has historically angered some folks around here, seemingly especially folks in this thread already, but I'm still running a pair of the old Open Pros on my fixed bike and they have held up great. In fact, all my personal experiences with Mavic rims have been good, except for sourcing those spokes and spoke wrenches for my 26" Crossmax wheels many years ago, but they were still running true (I did have to replace spokes after a crash) when I sold my Moots YBB.

Over the years I've had trouble with several rims, Stans dented easily, WTB cracked at spoke hole, Pacenti eventually cracked too. I know it sounds like I have trouble building with good spoke tension, but I'm 6' 3" 220 lbs. and all of those rims were ridden HARD for many years, seemed like I got pretty good value for dollar, not like light rims can last forever ridden on trails under my weight. I may choose an asymmetrical rim for my gravel disc build (Pacenti or DT Swiss) but frankly I like the looks of the new Open Pros.

Edit: glepore, interesting story. Hmm...maybe I'll just give the Pacenti asymmetrical Forza a chance. Sounds like the spoke bed issue has been dealt with, and given the fluctuation in spoke tension with tubeless builds when inflated, asymmetrical seems the way to go. And as much good press as they get, I generally don't like the busy labels on the DT Swiss rims and I think the XR 361 has a 220 lb. weight limit.

Last edited by DRZRM; 12-13-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:17 AM
cmg

19mm interior dimension and 430 grams. who are it's competitors for the weight? most are heavier.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:44 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

I finally upgraded to 11sp and sold my Mavic 501/2 hubbed Open SUP CD wheels. They were built for a former pro friend of mine a long, long time ago and had been pretty much a 'don't have to think about em' wheelset for lots of years.

I'm sure someone's still riding them today.

I build a pair of SSCX/fixed wheels out of a pair of the last version of the OP. They're working just fine too thankyouverymuch.

I've built several pair of Reflex/Open Pro tubular wheels now. All good to go too.

In the years I've been riding O4CDs, Open SUP CDs, and Open Pros, I've had one noisy rim. YMMV

AFA the 'wide rim vs narrow rim' debate: ride your bike more and it don't matter nearly as much.

M
Old 12-13-2017, 11:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
19mm interior dimension and 430 grams. who are it's competitors for the weight? most are heavier.
DT411...weight and OC rear....and available.. are the new ones anywhere?
Old 12-13-2017, 11:56 AM
Vendor

Quote:
DT411...weight and OC rear....and available.. are the new ones anywhere?
the rim brake ones are available. disc are not. says 1/23/2018 for disc.

I will say, I do like the look. Not sure how they build. I will probably get a set for the hell of it to build for a bike. Who knows.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:21 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Looks like Excel has them in stock, 15% off your first rim.

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...jor=1&minor=25
Old 12-13-2017, 10:13 PM
ergottWheels

The new Open Pro rims are a non starter for me. Silly low maximum tension means no good for many modern hubs. Mavic really had their head up their arse when they missed that detail.

So, I couldn't get a straight answer from one of their people when I asked them what sort of tension drop to expect when mounting tires. Another reason why low max tension is a serious issue these days. You mount tires and tension drops 10-20kgf. A rim that light I expect it to be on the high end or worse.

Nope, don't ask me to build them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2017, 11:03 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Thanks Ergott, just the sort of information I was looking for.