Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 10:06 PM

Profile wheels?

Any comments on the TwentyFour series wheels? There is surprisingly little interweb feedback on them.

I've had good luck with their BMX & track hubs, the build looks solid (cx-rays, hand-tensioned), and the price is right. 38/58/78mm depths, disc/not, clincher/tubular...lots of choices.

I'm curious.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:57 AM

Were you looking for feedback on profile design components or profile racing?
Old 12-12-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Were you looking for feedback on profile design components or profile racing?
The former. Didn't realize they were different...duh me.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie View Post
The former. Didn't realize they were different...duh me.
No duh; I grew up riding BMX. A part of me wants a set of the hubs on the cross bike...
Old 12-12-2017, 12:04 PM

You may want to take a look over at Slowtwitch.com. It's a triathlon forum and there is a fair amount of discussion on these wheels. Just search on TwentyFour and a number of posts popped up with experience etc. The Profile wheels in general have had a strong following in the tri community.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:36 PM

Have seen great deals on these on eBay - new w tubulars - but there are a lot of great deals these days...how does one pick?
Old 12-13-2017, 08:10 AM

Surprised more of this didn't come up via Google...thanks. Slowtwitch isn't on my radar at all.

I did know they were more of a tri-oriented brand, but what does that mean for their wheels? Surely (at similar dimensions) a good 'tri' wheel is no different than a good 'road' wheel? And they have disc-brake wheels. Seen those in a tri?

Anyone know where their rims & hubs originate? Are we talking essentially eBay Formula/Chinese carbon? If nothing more, the backing of a legit US company is nice...

Yes, the cheap eBay stuff caught my eye. 38 clinchers are only $1400 MSRP (nothing as carbon goes, I realize, but still too much of a gamble for me), but at $400 and 500mi of use I might have to bite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
You may want to take a look over at Slowtwitch.com. It's a triathlon forum and there is a fair amount of discussion on these wheels. Just search on TwentyFour and a number of posts popped up with experience etc. The Profile wheels in general have had a strong following in the tri community.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:22 AM

I would definitely not characterize them as an eBay/Chinese brand. They have been around since the late 80's making aero bars, stems and a whole host of other related products. The wheels have been around quite a long time too. They might be manufactured overseas, but these are a far cry from the generics and you get the backing of a real company with a warranty. They have sponsored athletes etc.

MyBikeShop.com has some good prices right now on the Profile wheels. No affiliation other than an existing customer and met one of their guys locally.