Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2024, 03:45 PM

I really hated the matte purple on my double cross disc when I first got it. Now that it's worn in to a darker, glossy shade it's ok. This isn't my pic but it shows the stock color - when new - very well, just not a good choice and the grey decal and font don't match either.

Conversely, I was captivated by the Panasonic racing scheme and every time I ride the bike I enjoy looking at it. It does motivate me to ride it more and taking it to show of to my cycling friends was something I'd never been excited about before.

Of course I thought I was extra special with a bike not many owned until I found out that Panasonic scheme is like every second or third Panasonic sold in Japan. It's still rare in the USA!
Old 03-29-2024, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbenson View Post
There is nothing rational about anything going on anywhere on this site.
That should be a banner across the top of this place. Love it.

Drop "Enjoy the Ride" and replace it with that. Perfect.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
I'm aware of that. It's a full suspension carbon bike so it wouldn't be a cheap process. This is more about the motivational phenomenon which I find interesting, since it should not matter at all rationally speaking.
Paint??? On a full squish? What you need is dust, dirt, mud, snot, gatorade residue, dried blood, maybe a little cattle poop undercoating... whachamacalit, errr, "patina". Guaranteed to motivate more than the perfect color.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:06 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLQ View Post
I bet Earl Scheib could get you right for $99.99.
Paceline: come for the bikes, stay for the Earl Scheib references.
Now if only I could find a thread that would accommodate a Zachary All reference.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:23 PM

Gios Blue is always motivating

Old 03-29-2024, 06:16 PM

I have fully embraced it. I absolutely love bicycles, and riding bicycles. Its all wrapped up in one big untanglable ball. I have made the rational choice before and settled for a bike that I dont like the look of, but its always bothered me till I sold it. Even if I really like the ride.nSo I dont fight it anymore and just roll with it, a bike I buy has to have not only the right shape, but the right colors. I have to like looking at it to enjoy riding it. This especially holds true with mountain bikes, there are some really ugly looking ones!
Old 03-29-2024, 07:05 PM

it's a sliding scale depending on how much I'm paying for it. if it costs a lot of money I'm not compromising on the color.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:08 PM

Post a pic....I'll decide
Old 03-29-2024, 07:45 PM

Not a bike, but black shoes just bother me.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:32 PM
Two wheels good

The carbon Santa Cruz Chameleon that I bought from a Paceliner was a beautiful shade of bronze with turquoise logos. I ended up hating the bike because it was brutally stiff on the local trails and the front end loved to come up on climbs. But it was hard for me to sell because I loved the color so much. I wish my Epic Evo, which I love to ride, was as pretty as that bike.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:56 PM

I feel like my mental ability to ride a bike to its full potential is limited if it has a beautiful paint job that i love. I feel like i baby it too much and try to keep it pristine instead of enjoying the ride and getting my training goals met.
If i feel meh about the paint job then i don’t care if i splash drink mix on it, leave it covered in road dust, snot rocket on it, or etc.

I just picked up a Trek Checkpoint in a not so appealing color. Which is perfect for a gravel bike so I won’t have to dismount and carry it over puddles on the trails.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:24 PM

I keep seeing good deals on gravel bikes that I'd like to own, but I like my All-City Gorilla Monsoon (mostly due to the paintjob) too much to replace with another bike.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
I have a mountain bike like this. And it's a great bike, exactly the one I wanted, build is completely dialed - except that I compromised on the color because it was the only one I could find in my size and as a frame-only instead of a complete bike. Every time I look at the color I try to make peace with it and yet...
One can make peace with it, either by embracing how good it rides, or by finding a way to make it one's own.

For me it's the latter. Picked up a Transition Scout frameset three years ago in mint condition, my size, and for a good price. The catch was it was in the "wrong" color. They only ever came two colors: a lovely blue or a drab olive. The light olive color isn't ugly, per se, but it's very mil-spec and if anyone knows me that's not my vibe. From a performance standpoint the frame was a keeper, so the solution was to get some decals made. Even professionally done vinyls are waaaay cheaper than a repaint and can easily be applied to cockpit items to create a unified look.

It's definitely a hassle but the adage "look good feel good" applies here.

PXL_20240121_151428594.jpg
Old 04-01-2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalattorney View Post
One can make peace with it, either by embracing how good it rides, or by finding a way to make it one's own.

For me it's the latter. Picked up a Transition Scout frameset three years ago in mint condition, my size, and for a good price. The catch was it was in the "wrong" color. They only ever came two colors: a lovely blue or a drab olive. The light olive color isn't ugly, per se, but it's very mil-spec and if anyone knows me that's not my vibe. From a performance standpoint the frame was a keeper, so the solution was to get some decals made. Even professionally done vinyls are waaaay cheaper than a repaint and can easily be applied to cockpit items to create a unified look.

It's definitely a hassle but the adage "look good feel good" applies here.

Attachment 1698080948
The solution seems more reasonable than repainting or replacing a frame. Take the bike in a new direction with new decals or a colorful set (e.g. Wolftooth) of bolts, headset, pedals, etc.

Instagram
Old 04-01-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Gios Blue is always motivating

Love this—nailed both the font and the script!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk