Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2024, 03:01 PM

SRAM AXS "reverse" mullet?

So, I want to do a "reverse" mullet on my hardtail.

It's currently running 1x11 Shimano, and I switch it to SS and back a few times every year (I race the summer dirt crit series in SS). Going to AXS would make this easier, as it's wireless. Plus, shiny new things and other very good reasons.

I'd like to run an XPLR rear derailleur and cassette - this bike never sees terrain that requires a 10-50 or wider cassette. A 10-44 is plenty of gear - if a ride needs more gear, I take my full suspension bike.

But, as far as I can tell, there are slim pickings for flat-top-compatible chainrings in Shimano 96 BCD (11 speed XT/SLX crank).

Did I miss a chainring option?
Or can I swap rear derailleur pulleys and run a Shimano 12s chain?
Or run a GX RD with Eagle chain and the XPLR cassette (will that work)?
Or something else?
Old 02-20-2024, 03:05 PM

the chainrings were my main sticking point too, and ended up going a different direction for other reasons. that being said, my breakaway axs bike is running a shim 12 chain and shim 12 cass on an otherwise force axs 2x xlplr kit and it works flawlessly.

this sounds like a fun project, subscribed!
Old 02-20-2024, 03:11 PM

Are you running Shim 12s road or mountain, and what gear range?

I wonder if the XPLR rear derailleur will be ok with the Shimano 45t cassette - they're only rated to 44t, but published specs are usually conservative.

I'm mostly looking because Rival and Apex RDs are on sale right now, as are the non-T-Type AXS off-road shifters.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
So, I want to do a "reverse" mullet on my hardtail.

It's currently running 1x11 Shimano, and I switch it to SS and back a few times every year (I race the summer dirt crit series in SS). Going to AXS would make this easier, as it's wireless. Plus, shiny new things and other very good reasons.

I'd like to run an XPLR rear derailleur and cassette - this bike never sees terrain that requires a 10-50 or wider cassette. A 10-44 is plenty of gear - if a ride needs more gear, I take my full suspension bike.

But, as far as I can tell, there are slim pickings for flat-top-compatible chainrings in Shimano 96 BCD (11 speed XT/SLX crank).

Did I miss a chainring option?
Or can I swap rear derailleur pulleys and run a Shimano 12s chain?
Or run a GX RD with Eagle chain and the XPLR cassette (will that work)?
Or something else?
I've run 10-44 with Eagle GX Chain and both Rival XPLR RD and Eagle GX Rd's with Rival 1X Wide Crank - both shift great, XPLR 10-44 slightly faster with XPLR RD - but only slightly. No issues running regular Eagle Chain.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:24 PM
Meh

GX derailleur with the XPLR cassette will likely not work.
12s Shimano chain with the XPLR cassette will very likely not work.
I'm not aware of any 96 BCD rings that will work with the flat top chain.

However...

If you're willing to do a wacky experiment, you could see if you can get the 12 speed XT/XTR 10-45 cassette to work with the XPLR rear derailleur, which would permit you to use the 12s Shimano chain with a 96 BCD wolf tooth drop stop ST chainring. This would also require a microspline driver so it's probably a terrible idea. I bet it would work though - I know the "frankentrain" version of this with the GX AXS derailleur and a Shimano 10-51 does work.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
I know the "frankentrain" version of this with the GX AXS derailleur and a Shimano 10-51 does work.
Did you use flat top road or flat top mountain (or flat top t-type)?

I'm not really interested, just pointing out how ridiculous SRAM has gotten with making their parts incompatible with everything.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:40 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Did you use flat top road or flat top mountain (or flat top t-type)?

I'm not really interested, just pointing out how ridiculous SRAM has gotten with making their parts incompatible with everything.
I used a Shimano 12s chain - the flat top chain doesn't play too nicely with a Shimano cassette. The rule for the frankentrain is that everything must be Shimano except for the derailleur, which is AXS.

And I also have to say - it didn't work that well. It resulted in shifting that was both inferior to a regular mechanical XTR group (which I think is one of the best shifting mechanical groups ever made), and that was inferior in some ways to a full AXS group. But it was electronic so... win I guess?
Old 02-20-2024, 03:43 PM

Quote:
GX derailleur with the XPLR cassette will likely not work.
12s Shimano chain with the XPLR cassette will very likely not work.
I'm not aware of any 96 BCD rings that will work with the flat top chain.

However...

If you're willing to do a wacky experiment, you could see if you can get the 12 speed XT/XTR 10-45 cassette to work with the XPLR rear derailleur, which would permit you to use the 12s Shimano chain with a 96 BCD wolf tooth drop stop ST chainring. This would also require a microspline driver so it's probably a terrible idea. I bet it would work though - I know the "frankentrain" version of this with the GX AXS derailleur and a Shimano 10-51 does work.
I ran GX AXS RD and 12sp Eagle chain and 10-44 with no issues - see above.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:45 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisond View Post
I ran GX AXS RD and 12sp Eagle chain and 10-44 with no issues - see above.
Cool, how did you set the b-gap - did it work with the regular tool? Those derailleurs are nitpicky little nancies about b-gap.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:35 PM

I have an AXS mullet setup on my hardtail that works good. I have no complaints, shifts great under load and very quiet. Sram AXS X01 derailleur with Shimano XT chain and cassette(10-51). Cranks are Sram XX1 with a Garbaruk chainring. I’m fairly certain that I could run a Shimano 10-45 if I wanted without any modifications other than shortening my chain.
Old 02-21-2024, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Cool, how did you set the b-gap - did it work with the regular tool? Those derailleurs are nitpicky little nancies about b-gap.
I think I just used a ruler. It wasn't nitpicky at all - it maybe took 5 minutes.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:00 AM

Edit, nvm.

Last edited by Kyle h; 02-21-2024 at 07:02 AM.