Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2024, 09:29 PM

Lake shoe durability

I've had these Lake CX201's since last April. I bought them from a local club rider who used them for a few months before he decided they didn't fit. These things have maybe 7,000 miles on them. I'm not a big guy - 5'8,155 on a heavy day, I'm not a huge gear masher and I walk in them as little as possible.

I really like the fit of these shoes on my Roman shaped foot, but if I'm not going to get any more than a year out of a pair then I'm going to look elsewhere.

Any other experience with Lake soles breaking?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240211_213129resized.jpg (37.3 KB, 245 views)
Old 02-12-2024, 10:02 PM

Nothing like that but I had a warranty on mx241 when the coating peeled all over the upper material (it was the mirror silver finish)

I’ve used lakes exclusively for the last 10 years and mixed with other brands for a few years before that.

I’ve crashed in them multiple times and the leather models take the abrasion nicely, and thus far I’ve not broken a boa even though a few have hit the ground hard and lost some material.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Nothing like that but I had a warranty on mx241 when the coating peeled all over the upper material (it was the mirror silver finish)

I’ve used lakes exclusively for the last 10 years and mixed with other brands for a few years before that.

I’ve crashed in them multiple times and the leather models take the abrasion nicely, and thus far I’ve not broken a boa even though a few have hit the ground hard and lost some material.
Similar experience with the second half of your post. Love my Lakes. No problems at all.

This feels like a random occurrence. Will be curious to hear if anyone else has had such an issue.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:57 AM

I've had a pair of CX237 and a pair of MX237 (the models before the current ones) since 2019. Between pavement and dirt I ride between 5000 to 6500 miles in a year. I put my left foot down when I stop and that's the side which shows wear on the rubber heels and on the rubber surrounding the cleat on the off-road ones. I've been meaning to see if there is any way to repair or renew them. Otherwise, they've been great.

Jan G.

Last edited by JanG; 02-13-2024 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:53 AM

Well, the BOA cable broke on my CX238’s just this past Sunday. But I’m very surprised and happy that’s all that broke since I was hit by a car. Luckily I wasn’t hurt and the only damage was some car tire rub marks on my left chainstay and the broken BOA cable. A quick order placed with BOA and I’ll have the new BOA spool and cable by Wednesday.

Oh, and the damage to the car isn’t insignificant. My left arm shattered the drivers side mirror and left the mirror housing dangling by its wiring. There’s also a dent in his drivers side quarter panel from my left knee.

As to the OP, maybe get in touch with Lake and ask for a repair or replacement even as it’s out of warranty. All they can do is say yes or no. It’s worth the try.

Otherwise I’m very happy with the longevity and quality of all my Lake shoes. I have three pairs, road, mountain and a winter road boot. All have held up just fine through many thousand’s of miles and all types of weather.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:03 PM

How did the break happen?
Old 02-13-2024, 03:06 PM

I've worn out many things on Lake shoes but never the sole. Seems like a fluke to me. Or it was damaged in some way previously. (crash?)
Old 02-13-2024, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXLeader View Post
Well, the BOA cable broke on my CX238’s just this past Sunday. But I’m very surprised and happy that’s all that broke since I was hit by a car. Luckily I wasn’t hurt and the only damage was some car tire rub marks on my left chainstay and the broken BOA cable. A quick order placed with BOA and I’ll have the new BOA spool and cable by Wednesday.

Oh, and the damage to the car isn’t insignificant. My left arm shattered the drivers side mirror and left the mirror housing dangling by its wiring. There’s also a dent in his drivers side quarter panel from my left knee.

As to the OP, maybe get in touch with Lake and ask for a repair or replacement even as it’s out of warranty. All they can do is say yes or no. It’s worth the try.

Otherwise I’m very happy with the longevity and quality of all my Lake shoes. I have three pairs, road, mountain and a winter road boot. All have held up just fine through many thousand’s of miles and all types of weather.
Like a BOSS!
Old 02-13-2024, 07:57 PM

I had the toe tip rubber section start to separate from the fabric section on MX242-X after about 8 months.

Lake replaced them through my local bike shop Veloro in Redwood City, CA very quickly.
Old 02-14-2024, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXLeader View Post

YIKES! Hope you're ok. I've sent message via an account on the Lake Cycling website. I'm waiting for their response
Old 02-14-2024, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbiker View Post
How did the break happen?
I put them on took 2 steps to my bike and started riding. Within a couple of pedal strokes I could feel my foot flexing without support from the shoes. No crash or singular damage occurred. It seems to me that they just wore out over time.
Old 02-14-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
I've worn out many things on Lake shoes but never the sole. Seems like a fluke to me. Or it was damaged in some way previously. (crash?)
I've never crashed in these shoes. No damage at all, just the wear associated with normal riding.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortx-Dave View Post
I put them on took 2 steps to my bike and started riding. Within a couple of pedal strokes I could feel my foot flexing without support from the shoes. No crash or singular damage occurred. It seems to me that they just wore out over time.
I imagine there was a flaw in the carbon sole and they didn't so much wear out as the stress on that particular point resulted in failure. I.e. carbon doesn't wear out if manufactured correctly.

If you look at the sole cross section you might be able to see voids/holes/gaps in the carbon structure but considering they've failed it might just be a mess of fibre.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortx-Dave View Post
I've never crashed in these shoes. No damage at all, just the wear associated with normal riding.
One off fluke
Old 02-15-2024, 08:18 AM

Call Lake and complain

If you like the shoes call them and ask for a deal on a new pair. This works very well in many cases. If you don't call you don't know if they will help.

I am a huge Vittoria cycling shoe fan. Their size range is very good and have narrow and wide shoes. You can get full custom as well. Pricing is quite reasonable and US dist is very knowledgeable on their product. Shoes are made in Italy vs others.

Alan