Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2024, 10:05 PM

Lake makes wide shoes.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:53 AM

the RX801 are more road shoe in fit than other mtb shoes. I have the XC901 and they are quite roomy in the toe box. Have not tried the new XC902 but if it's anything like the RC902 compared to the RC901, the fit got narrower
Old 01-30-2024, 08:24 AM

The Lake Competition last features a wider toe box, but is not wider in the heel. I use them and love them. I don't run unless there's a fire, but I wear Altra Superiors if that's of help.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:43 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos View Post
Who makes a mountain/gravel type shoe with more toe room? I don't need more overall volume, just wider in the toe box
I've been using Specialized/S-Works mountain shoes for ~18 years specifically because they check off all ^^^those boxes. Been through three different pairs and they all fit better than any of the SIDI Megas that I've owned or tried.

Last edited by Bob Ross; 01-30-2024 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:48 PM

My Lake MX238 shoes arrived today! They fit very well with plenty of toe room. I did not think that I would spent so much on new cycling shoes but they seem worth the price. Thank you all for your input.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I heard the 8 series are more narrow than the 9 and 7.
Yeah the one I got were more narrow.
Old 02-17-2024, 03:19 PM

Bont and Lake, but in the WIDE sizes only.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:38 PM

That's a whole lotta consecutive posts for one day. Makes sense now --classifieds.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bironi View Post
Seriously, disregard the light and well made parameters.
Unfortunately this is very similar to saddle advice.
And take it this from experience, you’re foot does change it’s print with time.
Futz with it till you get it , but that may change as well.
By
Sure does. I have found this very cheap shoe stretch device works wonders to adapt cycling shoes that are almost-but-not-quite:

https://www.amazon.com.au/KevenAnna-...fbe772630&th=1

Last edited by robertbb; 02-17-2024 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:28 PM

Everyone's feet are different, but Lake wides were not wide in the toe. They were voluminous, but the taper of the toe box still meant my pinkie toe was squished.

I ended up with with wide Specialized Recons for more toe room. I believe only the Recon 2.0 and S-Works offer a wide variant.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:14 PM

UDog

https://udog.cc/

Great toe box width with normal proportions through the mid foot and heel.

I have to wear wide toe box shoes cause Vans and Chuck Taylor’s ruined my feet through my 20s-30s. Altras for sneakers/hikers and UDogs for riding.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:37 PM

Bont in Wide works really well for me
Old 02-18-2024, 07:52 AM

I have a set of Shimano gravel shoes in wide that I sized up half a size or so. They work ok for my wide feet but I haven't ridden with them for more than 4-5hrs at a time.

I have wide forefeet with a small Taylor's bunion and have tried different combos of 'wide' model shoes, footbeds, etc and the low to zero drop style shoes with a wide toe box has been the single best solution.

Why can't a bike shoe company catch up with the times like running and trail shoes and start offering actual footshape (e.g., wide toe box) performance shoes, rather than just a wide model (e.g., wide at the ankles but still pointy toe shape).
Old 02-18-2024, 08:03 AM

Specialized Recon 2.0

I wear Lake CX241 wide road shoes and love them.I tried the Lake MX242 wide mountain bike shoes ands disappointed, they were not wide enough.I looked around and then tried the Specialized Recon 2.0 regular width and they fit great! I didn't evened the wide. I found the Rs-Works Recon to be a bit narrow.The Recon 2.0 revery comfortable and even with only one Boa dial tighten up well and allow my toes to move around. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:46 AM

https://udog.cc/blogs/about-us/technology

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 6.31.19 AM.jpg

Really digging my UDog Tensiones. A rather new company, read about the wide toe box in a shoe review article and decided to try them. 15% off first order. No affiliation, just sharing so more people will learn about them and hopefully help those with foot problems or simply wanting a shoe that is designed like the human foot. Also, would love to see this brand succeed so their shoes stay in business.

I was going to buy Lakes originally but at the price, I didn't want to take the gamble after reading mixed reviews and all the different models of shoes is overwhelming. At under $150 shipped (with the 15% off) I figured I'd try these instead. Glad I did.

Fast forward a few months and I get an indoor trainer so I bought a pair of clearance Shimano RC100s for indoor use because the description mentioned the wider toe box and for $50 with an easy velcro closure I said why not? They arrived and I tried them on and was disappointed. While my big toe seemed less scrunched my pinky toe had no room for movement and was pushing inwards. Returned them right away.

I've been through this trying to find MTB flat pedal shoes for years. Mostly comparing toe boxes in pictures and reading as many reviews trying to figure out what has a wide toe box. There was a pair of Five Tens that was discontinued, a pair of Fiziks that were okay but finally found some lower end Shimanos that about a year ago that work but are now being phased out. Not sure if the new replacement model will have the same generous toe box width. Not sure why there isn't a brand pushing human foot shape tech in MTB as they do it for hiking and trail running. Happy that UDog has done it for road/gravel cycling. Maybe they will make a flat pedal shoe one day.

Last edited by steelrimbrake; 02-19-2024 at 08:51 AM.