Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Cool. I have a good system - two, actually - but wouldn't call myself an audiophile.

I've long heard that the best bang for the buck upgrade is speakers. Not receiver, not record/CD/DVD player, not cable - speakers. Then maybe other components.

Several years ago I gave a friend a pair of speakers I was no longer using. That's the only thing we changed, and he was blown away by the difference, so maybe speakers really are the first thing to consider.
Speakers make the most difference in the sound delivery chain. Most of the rest of the chain passes the signal along without significant change or coloration. The speaker, as it translates from electrical to mechanical, introduces the most tonal coloration. Two similarly priced and built speakers may sound entirely different...and individual listeners will perceive sound quality differently. That's why some people love Bose loudspeakers while others don't (for instance, and Bose is an extreme, polarizing example).
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-09-2021, 02:30 PM

I'm not up on the best bets in speakers these days as I got off the merry-go-round when I built Linkwitz Lab speakers. Whatever you get, put them on stands several feet from any wall and, regardless of model, it should sound much better. Speakers have greatly improved, across the board, in the last couple of decades. IMO there are not nearly as many poor sounding brands as long as you stick with established companies.

Tim
Old 02-09-2021, 03:33 PM

I've got Mirage speakers for one system circa 2000, and Polk speakers for another system circa 2005. They sound good enough to me, so I don't plan on changing anything.

Pearls before swine and all that.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:56 PM

Good to hear Tz779 found a pair of speakers they like and at a decent price. From the pics I've found online, those speakers look impressive. I'd love to hear how they sound as I've never experienced their Uni-Q design.

Last edited by Peter P.; 02-10-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz779 View Post
yeah i do!
And, no, I am not into home theatre or anything. Just basic Hi-fi.

I bought the KEFs and am super happy. Playing my fav FZ Uncle Meat and separation is awesome! My Pioneers were so “muddy” in comparison.
Nice!
Old 02-09-2021, 06:48 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Cool. I have a good system - two, actually - but wouldn't call myself an audiophile.

I've long heard that the best bang for the buck upgrade is speakers. Not receiver, not record/CD/DVD player, not cable - speakers. Then maybe other components.

Several years ago I gave a friend a pair of speakers I was no longer using. That's the only thing we changed, and he was blown away by the difference, so maybe speakers really are the first thing to consider.
And for LPs a good cartridge is a must. LPs sound better than CDs. I will die on this hill!
Old 02-09-2021, 06:59 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Speakers make the most difference in the sound delivery chain. Most of the rest of the chain passes the signal along without significant change or coloration. The speaker, as it translates from electrical to mechanical, introduces the most tonal coloration. Two similarly priced and built speakers may sound entirely different...and individual listeners will perceive sound quality differently. That's why some people love Bose loudspeakers while others don't (for instance, and Bose is an extreme, polarizing example).
Yes, when I bought my first pair of “good” speakers, the sales guy was surprised I did not like their biggest seller. They sounded harsh to me, and settled on a pair that were basically made by a couple of guys working out of a garage just north of Boston. He said, “you will need a ‘bright’ cartridge for these.” Which was my first into to just how much everything needs to be matched in a system for best performance.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:00 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Good to hear Tz779 found a pair of speakers he likes and at a decent price. From the pics I've found online, they look impressive.
She, but thats ok!
I really like them! I hope my neighbor upstairs does as well!
Old 02-09-2021, 07:01 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Nice!
They are awesome!
Old 02-09-2021, 07:06 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I'm not up on the best bets in speakers these days as I got off the merry-go-round when I built Linkwitz Lab speakers. Whatever you get, put them on stands several feet from any wall and, regardless of model, it should sound much better. Speakers have greatly improved, across the board, in the last couple of decades. IMO there are not nearly as many poor sounding brands as long as you stick with established companies.

Tim
I have, thanks! They have little “feet” (not to confuse with the band!) on the bottom to keep them off the floor. I thought about that bc I have carpet and dont know if static is a prob. But I should be ok since it has rubber feet/pads on the bottom.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:34 AM

I ran across a blurb about the C85 saying they have metal spikes integrated into the rubber feet. If you have carpet, try to get those spikes extended/exposed, which may require removing the rubber part (?). Sound will usually improve in the bass & mid-bass, particularly on less massive speakers that are more likely to have significant cabinet resonances, if the speaker cabinet is more rigidly coupled (via the spikes) to the wood subflooring underneath the carpet. Static from the carpet is not the issue.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Good to hear Tz779 found a pair of speakers she likes and at a decent price. From the pics I've found online, they look impressive.
Yes, the reviews online are pretty favorable and they present nicely. Speaking of looking impressive, at Tweeter, etc., in the early '80s, we kept the top of the (consumer) line KEFs in the high end sound room. Kinda R2D2ish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 11.29.34 AM.jpg (61.6 KB, 134 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-10-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
She, but thats ok!
I really like them! I hope my neighbor upstairs does as well!
It's the downstairs neighbor that will enjoy the bass!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-10-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Yes, the reviews online are pretty favorable and they present nicely. Speaking of looking impressive, at Tweeter, etc., in the early '80s, we kept the top of the (consumer) line KEFs in the high end sound room. Kinda R2D2ish.
My parents (as part of their 80's splurge) decided on purchasing a mondo Hi-Fi system that was near top of the line in the day - Adcom, Sony ES, Audioquest, Linn and the cherry on top, KEF Reference speakers like the ones you pictured.

I ended up selling the speakers for them around 10 years ago for $500 and that was a pretty fair deal - when I did a side by side between the KEF's and my second set of speakers at the time (JBL S38) the better sounding speaker was tough to discern. Driver materials and design methods improved an insane amount from the early-80's to late-90's.

Congrats to the OP on his purchase - they should be a HUGE upgrade over the dumpster treasure
Old 02-10-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
And for LPs a good cartridge is a must. LPs sound better than CDs. I will die on this hill!
Like.