Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Planars are fantastic but need LOT of trial and error to sound anywhere near their optimal level. Also that particular model requires an amp that can push good watts at 4ohms - not always possible with most consumer level amps.
Agreed on both. In our old house I didn't have the appropriate room or WAF. In our new house, I *might* have an appropriate room, but, again, WAF.

With regard to electronics -- I built a system with Adcom separates specifically with the intention of driving Maggies.

Not sure it will happen...too many other priorities and WAF is easier to manage with things that don't dominate an entire room.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-08-2021, 01:12 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
Unless they changed something the woofers use butyl rubber surrounds. Both the L700s and the L1290/2s I have are from the mid-80s and they are fine.

I think prices are what they are because there is demand for them.

Tim
yes, thru my research, most opinions are the foam that was once used back in the 70s and 80s has been improved upon/replaced with diff materials so this kind of degradation in 20 y/o speakers is not so much of a problem now.

Listening to my Pioneers now, with my fav CD to bring with me, and they sound “muddy.” Everything seems to be originating from woofer, little from mid or tweeter (i used an empty cardboard TP roll to listen to the tweeter).
Old 02-08-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz779 View Post
yes, thru my research, most opinions are the foam that was once used back in the 70s and 80s has been improved upon/replaced with diff materials so this kind of degradation in 20 y/o speakers is not so much of a problem now.
Tell that to my BA HD5s with degraded foam. I originally thought the poor sound was due to a (too) long cable run of 100 feet. Turns out the woofer foam on both speakers is shot.

They're worth like $50 in good condition...so investing $25 for a refoaming kit + a couple of hours to R&R is questionable.

I have an N+2 speaker situation in the house that does not suggest putting the effort in.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-08-2021, 05:22 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by torelli View Post
If these were available near me I would be there today cash in hand. Fantastic build quality, made in Germany I believe too. Sorry that would have probably been West Germany back in the day.
If you want to spend that much on a pair of speakers then I'd look at these - https://www.tektondesign.com/mini-lore.html

I have a pair that I purchased when they were $800 and I don't feel that I overpaid at all.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:36 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
If you want to spend that much on a pair of speakers then I'd look at these - https://www.tektondesign.com/mini-lore.html

I have a pair that I purchased when they were $800 and I don't feel that I overpaid at all.
Yeah, I could run with this purchase but im thinking used bc I hate paying almost 10% tax to SC. Annnd, I was looking at those JBLs and Polks for $400. So that was kind of my budget.

Today was a day. I had to postpone checking out the KEFs bc I lost my truck keys! Eventually found them in the bottom of my shoulder bag! I had just returned from a stereo repair/vintage shop right down the street from me! No speakers but lots of vintage amps and receivers. I got some CRC and a can of compressed air to clean the insides of my two receivers. Full report tomorrow!
Old 02-08-2021, 05:50 PM

Another speaker to consider are the Triangle Borea Bro 3s. They have many favorable reviews from the audiophile reviewers on Youtube. I bought a pair in January and I'm very happy with them. They list at $550, but I got mine through Slickdeals via Adorama for $350.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:04 PM

I'm happy with my current set up
Polk audio LSiM705
Primaluna Dialogue premium tube amp

Purchased polks on a blow out sale through adorama
They sound warm and imaging seems pretty good

Primaluna tube amp has a true natural sound, coupled with warm sounding polka I can listen for hours

Explains why I do more listening than riding
Old 02-08-2021, 06:33 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Yeah, I could run with this purchase but im thinking used bc I hate paying almost 10% tax to SC. Annnd, I was looking at those JBLs and Polks for $400. So that was kind of my budget.

Today was a day. I had to postpone checking out the KEFs bc I lost my truck keys! Eventually found them in the bottom of my shoulder bag! I had just returned from a stereo repair/vintage shop right down the street from me! No speakers but lots of vintage amps and receivers. I got some CRC and a can of compressed air to clean the insides of my two receivers. Full report tomorrow!
Yeah, I understood that your budget was lower. I only brought those up because Torelli had mentioned some higher priced speakers.

FWIW, of your choices I would go with the JBL over the Polks. I have had Polk home and car speakers and wasn't that thrilled with either. You should definitely check out the KEFs though.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
I could be wrong but I think the Jamo's that are on sale everywhere are more home cinema orientated rather than Hi Fi, so that's obviously something to hear in mind. Depends on whether music or home cinema is your priority.
This is true of a lot of speakers and other equipment these days. Those 70s bands didn't record in 5.1. A good pair of *stereo* speakers, a subwoofer, and a good center channel are plenty for that era of music.

As someone else mentioned, you do need to pay attention to crossover frequencies, but at least with my Polk subwoofers, I can adjust that. That's probably not something Tz wants to get into, however.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeclips View Post
I'm happy with my current set up
Polk audio LSiM705
Primaluna Dialogue premium tube amp

Purchased polks on a blow out sale through adorama
They sound warm and imaging seems pretty good

Primaluna tube amp has a true natural sound, coupled with warm sounding polka I can listen for hours

Explains why I do more listening than riding
The Venn diagram of polka enthusiasts and hifi fans is larger than I thought. And a one and a two . . . .
Old 02-08-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Not a good idea. I put my brand new JBL L100 T3s on top of the old Cerwin Vegas due to lack of space. Within an hour one of them vibrated off and broke the neck off a mint 1965 Gibson Melody Maker that was sitting in the stand in front of the speakers.
Bummer. Guitars are better than speakers.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:03 PM

"The Venn diagram of polka enthusiasts and hifi fans is larger than I thought. And a one and a two"

I look at it as an eclectic blend of many circles...expensive circles
Old 02-09-2021, 08:04 AM

Audio Engine are pretty good.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:47 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
This is true of a lot of speakers and other equipment these days. Those 70s bands didn't record in 5.1. A good pair of *stereo* speakers, a subwoofer, and a good center channel are plenty for that era of music.

As someone else mentioned, you do need to pay attention to crossover frequencies, but at least with my Polk subwoofers, I can adjust that. That's probably not something Tz wants to get into, however.
yeah i do!
And, no, I am not into home theatre or anything. Just basic Hi-fi.

I bought the KEFs and am super happy. Playing my fav FZ Uncle Meat and separation is awesome! My Pioneers were so “muddy” in comparison.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
yeah i do!
And, no, I am not into home theatre or anything. Just basic Hi-fi.

I bought the KEFs and am super happy. Playing my fav FZ Uncle Meat and separation is awesome! My Pioneers were so “muddy” in comparison.
Cool. I have a good system - two, actually - but wouldn't call myself an audiophile.

I've long heard that the best bang for the buck upgrade is speakers. Not receiver, not record/CD/DVD player, not cable - speakers. Then maybe other components.

Several years ago I gave a friend a pair of speakers I was no longer using. That's the only thing we changed, and he was blown away by the difference, so maybe speakers really are the first thing to consider.