Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2024, 10:06 PM

Looking for source for Ergo lever shift cables

My Ergo levers eat cables. The shift cables last about a year before they become frayed inside the ergo levers and have to be replaced. These cables should cost about $2-$3 a piece but I am having trouble finding them in the USA at any price. I can mail order them from overseas but I have to pay $20 to $30 in shipping costs.

Does anyone have a good source for Campagnolo Ergopower shift cable 2000mm at a fair price. I would like to purchase QTY: 10.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:24 PM

They're a bit more expensive than $2-$3, but you can get 10 Campagnolo cables for about $54 - $55 ($5.40 - $5.50 each) with free shipping:

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...8?gad_source=1

https://365cycles.com/products/campa...0&gad_source=1
Old 02-17-2024, 11:26 PM

I would say that it is unusual for your cables to be failing so often.

Is there anything having to do with your setup (particularly the lo-limit adjustment screw) that is causing high force/effort to be applied to the main shift lever?
Is any (particularly the rear-most) length of cable housing perhaps dry, dirty, distorted/bent or otherwise not allowing the cable to move freely?

The shift to the largest rear sprocket should not require any more force at the lever than the shift up to the second-largest sprocket. If so, then the lo-limit screw must be too tight. That will kill cables.

The cable guide under the bottom bracket may have become dry, dirty or contaminated by dried sports beverage, so applying lube there every time that you lube the chain might allow the cable to move with less force and thus less frequent replacement.
Old 02-18-2024, 07:27 AM

Amazon has cables.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-18-2024, 08:38 AM

Have you tried your LBS? I can get them dirt cheap local from the shop as they have bulk boxes with them.

Four years ago I got 10 of them for $2.99 each to include free shipping off Ebay.

As already mentioned though, under normal use I would expect them to be lasting a lot longer. I use a lot as I refurbish a lot of used bikes. But for my riders I would be shocked to have them failing so quickly and would have to figure out why.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Have you tried your LBS? I can get them dirt cheap local from the shop as they have bulk boxes with them.

Four years ago I got 10 of them for $2.99 each to include free shipping off Ebay.

As already mentioned though, under normal use I would expect them to be lasting a lot longer. I use a lot as I refurbish a lot of used bikes. But for my riders I would be shocked to have them failing so quickly and would have to figure out why.
I don't know why the ergo shift cables don't last more than a year for me. I have 3 bikes and everyone has the failure inside the shift mechanism.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Amazon has cables.
Thanks - This one has a reasonable price but I have to wait until March 6 for the free delivery. I will probably order it anyway.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
They're a bit more expensive than $2-$3, but you can get 10 Campagnolo cables for about $54 - $55 ($5.40 - $5.50 each) with free shipping:

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...8?gad_source=1

https://365cycles.com/products/campa...0&gad_source=1
Thank you.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:56 AM

I use 1.1mm cables (from LBS, I think they're sourced from QBP? they are shaved on the sides) inside of Nokons, lubricated with White Lightning.

Virtually zero friction, to the point that I keep thinking I forgot to put the cable in when I put things together. Dry shift your Ergos - that's what it feels like to shift the rear derailleur if there's no lateral resistance from the chain.

I started using Nokons because I had to turn the bars a lot to pack my bike in my car, and the Campy housings blew out in a few weeks. The Nokons were lighter, don't blow out, and don't collapse on themselves if you bend them a bit more than "a little".
Old 02-19-2024, 10:13 AM

Try Alligator 31 strand cables. They should last far longer than the typical 19 strand cables. https://www.alligatorcables.com/alli...ner-cable.html
Old 02-19-2024, 07:45 PM

I just trim down the heads of regular Shimano/sram cables to fit, takes a minute or less.
Old 02-20-2024, 12:43 AM

Another option is to get Yokozuna cables. One LBS I use is an “authorized Campy dealer” and they prefer Yokozuna cables. And you can buy a box of 100 for only $229 or $2.29 each!

Soma Fab has the 1.2mm stainless steel Campy compatible derailleur cables in stock:

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/yok...2171,2966,3258

Good Luck!

Last edited by bfd; 02-20-2024 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:57 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
I just trim down the heads of regular Shimano/sram cables to fit, takes a minute or less.
I've found some cables that have 'Campy sized' heads and I've had to 'trim' some with the bench grinder on others.

If I could remember the name of the 'Campy sized' cables I'd certainly post em. ?Jagwire Pro/elite Polished maybe? Haven't had to worry about it for a bit cause I've only got 1 Campy bike in the garage. Two if you count the Sachs New Success bike.

M
Old 02-20-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I've found some cables that have 'Campy sized' heads and I've had to 'trim' some with the bench grinder on others.
...M
I'll file a cable head when I have to, takes a few minutes, but holding a cable against a spinning bench grinder, I mean what could possibly go wrong(!)?

...asks the guy who disabled the lid shut-off switch on the washing machine.

Captain careful for a day...

Last edited by dddd; 02-20-2024 at 04:20 PM.