Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2024, 02:29 PM

Speaking of Japan, there was a gentleman making Nuovo Record leather hoods which had to be stitched on. Work of art. Maybe available 20 years ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
I recently purchased some Nakata AUT-05 suit hangers. Hand carved in Japan. A real work of art.

https://arterton.co.uk/collections/nakata-hangers-uk

Jeff
Old 02-18-2024, 11:17 PM

Mark Norstad, Paragon Machine Works. Gary Helfrich, founder of Merlin and titanium demystifier.

Mark has created so many pieces for frame builders since the late 80's that have been used by so many builders. Gary and he worked together to make many of us able to buy off the shelf bb shells, headtubes, dropouts and weld ons which simplified our ability to build frames better and more easily.

I started working with him in '92 and over the decades I purchased and then partnered in design for many changed and improved weld ons, dropouts etc. for Moots. Too many to talk about. His knowledge of frame building, titanium and machining could turn a 30 minute phone conversation into an improved or new part. He even helped us set-up our own CNC department. Selfless to the core.

He has recently handed over the business to his son Calvin who brings an engineering degree and great skill and energy to PMW.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:11 AM

nortx-Dave has not chimed in yet, so I will say it for both of us. Chris Bishop. His bikes are a great expression of artisanal skill and metalworking and an absolute blast to ride. Cant say enough about the quality of his work.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Mark Norstad, Paragon Machine Works. Gary Helfrich, founder of Merlin and titanium demystifier.

Mark has created so many pieces for frame builders since the late 80's that have been used by so many builders. Gary and he worked together to make many of us able to buy off the shelf bb shells, headtubes, dropouts and weld ons which simplified our ability to build frames better and more easily.

I started working with him in '92 and over the decades I purchased and then partnered in design for many changed and improved weld ons, dropouts etc. for Moots. Too many to talk about. His knowledge of frame building, titanium and machining could turn a 30 minute phone conversation into an improved or new part. He even helped us set-up our own CNC department. Selfless to the core.

He has recently handed over the business to his son Calvin who brings an engineering degree and great skill and energy to PMW.
Indeed,

That probably can't be emphasized enough. If not for those two....