Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2014, 09:35 PM

Building Lefty Wheel

I am going to have to build a lefty wheel which I have never done before. It looks like spoke sizing is like any other hub. Where I have the question is regarding the appropriate dish. I know I need the Park ts-ta thru axle adapter but I do not know how I am supposed to center the rim on the hub. You are not centering the rim between the locknuts as there is not two locknuts so what do I center to?

Is there a dish measurement to work to or is there a technique I am missing?
Old 12-20-2014, 07:47 AM

Park tool makes an adapter for the ts 2 and if you have the stand aligned properly away you go. You can also true it up on the bike using zip ties and the crown of the fork as your guides. I have built wheels both ways.

Truing stand is easier and preferred method. If you go the other way, choose a rim wisely. I find velocity and stans somewhat difficult to work with, the aluminum they use to be more ridgid. I would like to try a pacenti.

Old potato might have some tips too
Old 12-20-2014, 08:29 AM

to put the Lefty adaptor on, you take off the little self-extractor on the drive side of the Lefty hub. The adaptor then fits in the bearings, like a dummy axle. The adaptor is spaced so that once installed, if you use the ends of it as a guide when you check the dish, it comes out correct as it would on the bike. It's super easy - really nothing to be afraid of.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:48 AM
foo

I'll echo what Hermes_Alex said and add... you won't need the common (Park or other brand) thru-axle adapter. You will need the Lefty specific truing stand adapter which accommodates the asymmetrical bearing sizes and width... they are available from Project 321, Ebay, and Cannondale.

Edit: The Abbey truing stand adapter can apparently handle a Lefty hub... unsure if it accommodates the centering.

Last edited by aosty; 12-20-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:20 PM

Thanks guys. I am making this out to be harder than it really is.