Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2018, 04:14 AM

Bent derailleur hanger

Hello Paceliners,
Let me start this thread by saying I'm an idiot...get that out of the way.

I brought my bike into work to ride with some guys like we do a couple of times each week, and in one of those "I can carry everything and roll my bike into the shop in one trip" moves the bike fell over. There are no scratches anywhere except on the rear derailleur, a very small scratch where it hit.

I have always had a slight bend in the derailleur cage arm, angled slightly towards the wheel. However, the bike shifted great so wasn't worried about it.

After the fall the bike was out of adjustment, I was able to adjust it back in to complete the ride but it still hesitates when shifting into the smallest cog on the cassette. I took a picture of the rear, I'm thinking the hanger is bent. I'm going to have it checked out, since I don't have the tool, however wanted to ask the Campy experts here if a slight bend is normal?

I found this thread on WeightWeenies, seems close to the bend I'm discussing but there seemed to be some discussion on whether this was normal or a factory defect of some kind. Either way, no warranty for me as I purchased this used on here.

Thoughts?

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...r+cage&start=0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0626.jpg (96.3 KB, 240 views)
Old 07-22-2018, 04:15 AM

Sorry, forgot to mention this is a post 2015 Record/Super Record group set. And the photo is sideways, will work on rotating it.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:18 AM

Better picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0626.jpg (96.8 KB, 237 views)
Old 07-22-2018, 04:41 AM

Your proof is in the shifting, and in the dropped bike.

The photo confirms this. As a temporary fix, you could put the jaws of an adjustable wrench over the hanger and tweak it, but the hanger is aluminum so it will be weaker afterwards. If you go that route, keep the wheel clamped in the dropouts and remove the derailleur.

Go to derailleurhanger.com and order TWO replacements. Always keep one on hand as a spare.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:44 AM

I already ordered the hanger, seemed like a cheap test. Although it seems like no one carries hangers for a Look 765 so had to grab it from Amazon.

My main question is pertaining to the derailleur hanger arm. I know it was slightly bent before the drop, but is that normal for Campy?

Will try to tweak the hanger as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2018, 09:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangski View Post
I already ordered the hanger, seemed like a cheap test. Although it seems like no one carries hangers for a Look 765 so had to grab it from Amazon.

My main question is pertaining to the derailleur hanger arm. I know it was slightly bent before the drop, but is that normal for Campy?

Will try to tweak the hanger as well.

Hanger looks bent to me. That slight curve of the cage normal. Tool it to know for certain.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:53 AM

Rock on! Thanks for the confirmation!
Old 07-22-2018, 10:22 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

IME you can bend that back once and everything's still OK.

If/when it bends again, replace it.

Buy 2 hangers and keep one in the race bag and one in the garage.

M
Old 07-22-2018, 11:05 AM

Even a brand new hanger will need to be bent to get aligned. Yes, you are better off with a new one, but you can get this one aligned and ride the bike.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Even a brand new hanger will need to be bent to get aligned. Yes, you are better off with a new one, but you can get this one aligned and ride the bike.
I haven't been unlucky enough (yet) to have to bend a new one, but the hanger here is visibly bent, though only slightly.

I agree that this hanger has life in it.

Always bend a hanger with the rear wheel in place, though installed backwards to give wrench clearance.
This is to prevent stress on the frame's dropout area.
A disc rotor might prevent this, but a cassette can also be removed for clearance if you are going to use a large adjustable wrench to bend it back.

If using an adjustable wrench, be sure to clamp the entire periphery of the hole to prevent distorting the threading!
And lastly, plan in advance how to position the wrench handle so as to correct any twist at the same time that you are correcting the inward bend. This is often a critical issue since hangers tend to bend in random ways depending on the impact and on the cross section of the particular hanger.

For those who can afford to buy one, a dropout alignment tool is a good way to maximize accuracy and convenience, though I have temporarily installed a new long-cage derailer to use as a quite-decent sighting gage during many a dropout correction routine.
It helps greatly if the cogs are clean to see how the cage aligns with the plane of the cogs as you view from above and behind while swiveling the cage into lengthwise view. Larger cogs will provide much better visual resolution of course, actually good enough for peak performance imo.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:51 PM

Bent derailleur hanger

Sounds like you’re clearing me hot to purchase another tool! I have a tool addiction!!!

Will have the hanger checked and see if I can get the local shop to align it for me quick. I live in Japan so sometimes things are lost in translation.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
THIS^^^

....also, NEVER align ur hanger with an adjustable wrench, get the proper tool and do it correctly (no short cuts), especially given that u r riding a +$400 rear mech. Lots of DIY instructions on internet but if u r not handy with tools, leave this to a pro.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:09 PM

I’m handy with tools, been an automotive mechanic from the past 20 years. I’ve been getting into bike maintenance fairly heavily over the past couple of years so the hanger alignment tool may be next on the purchase block for me.

Thanks again!

Old 07-22-2018, 07:28 PM
Forward the Foundation

Now you have excuse to buy one of these....
Abbey Tools, 'cause they're extra shiny.
Attached Images
File Type: png HAG_productshot_main_1024x1024.png (28.5 KB, 83 views)
Old 07-22-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangski View Post
I’m handy with tools, been an automotive mechanic from the past 20 years. I’ve been getting into bike maintenance fairly heavily over the past couple of years so the hanger alignment tool may be next on the purchase block for me.

Thanks again!

The Abbey is pretty, but the Park DAG is very easy to use and extremely accurate.