Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2021, 11:46 PM

Way OT: Health insurance from work question.

I can either stay as a consultant or take a salaried position at the mental health agency I work at. Without getting in the pro's and con's of that I have a question about health insurance.

I've had a few friends (at other companies) who for various reasons didn't want to use the insurance offered them by their employer, so they negotiated the money the company would have paid for their plan to be given to them as a reimbursement each month.

Here is my question: Is this a common request or are a few of my friends lucky/good negotiators?

* The short reason why I am asking is, I have heart issues and my cardiologist of nearly 30 years doesn't accept the insurance offered to me from my work.

TIA !
Old 09-27-2021, 12:05 AM

If I asked my non profit employer to give me their 90% contribution towards my healthcare in cash, I’d get laughed at, as that would be an extra ~$1400 per month we both my wife and I have insurance through my employer. Sounds like your friends might be good negotiators… IMO… but have no idea if that’s the norm tbh

Last edited by jkbrwn; 09-27-2021 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:55 AM

I know some companies offer an opt out for people in your situation. As to what their payment to the employee is may vary from job to job, but seems like it would be a good negotiating point for you.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2021, 04:41 AM

You can ask, but as a C Corp, the company can deduct insurance premiums as a business expense. If you can paid instead, it is regular salary, so you take a tax hit.

Isn't there a decent cardiologist in the companies network?

D