Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
That is too dang funny !
Old 07-16-2019, 10:09 AM

This thread illustrates the problem. Some general awareness followed by a near complete unwillingness to change our cush lifestyles. And of course there are too many people. One can look at stats of where the biomass is now vs a while ago. Its shocking to find how humans and our food animals have displaced nature. You may not have the computing power to comprehend how complex these systems are. thats ok.nobody understands. But if we destroy these systemstheres a good chance we destroy ourselves. Probably a good thing. The creatures created in gods image are trashing the place for everyone else
Old 07-16-2019, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Overuse of antibiotics is leading to drug resistant viruses. One of those bad boys turns deadly, it could get ugly.
Remember antibiotics only work on bacteria, not viruses. But your point is well taken . Overuse of antibiotics in people is problem but another huge problem is when they’re used in animal feed.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:43 AM

Where are interest rates headed?

Old 07-16-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Remember antibiotics only work on bacteria, not viruses. But your point is well taken . Overuse of antibiotics in people is problem but another huge problem is when they’re used in animal feed.
Sadly, I knew that. Correction warranted & noted.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
The creatures created in gods image are trashing the place for everyone else
Don't blame dogs. They are doing just fine.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:30 AM

Speaking of Mars. When that really cool Mars movie came out a few years ago, 'The Martian' I think it was Kimmel of someone like that who went on the street to interview people and it was shocking to see how many people thought it was actually real.

Yeah, we're fckd.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:46 AM
Administrator

So to get back to marciero's original post, what are some of the micro things we can do as cyclists specifically?

i think cycling, comparatively speaking is a pretty low environmental impact sport to begin with, but there is always improvements to be made.

-old tires? admittedly i just throw them out - is there something better i can be doing with these?

-less impulse purchasing/more disciplined purchasing habits - seems there is at least one, sometimes two Amazon deliveries to my house every day. in the era of free shipping, it's easy to just order stuff as the thought arises, but it definitely makes sense to consolidate to get less individual trips.

-i want to get better at home made ride snacks. i love the waffle things, and my wife had a recipe for a while to make them at home, i feel like that's better than pre-packed stuff.

what else?
Old 07-16-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
So to get back to marciero's original post, what are some of the micro things we can do as cyclists specifically?

i think cycling, comparatively speaking is a pretty low environmental impact sport to begin with, but there is always improvements to be made.

-old tires? admittedly i just throw them out - is there something better i can be doing with these?

-less impulse purchasing/more disciplined purchasing habits - seems there is at least one, sometimes two Amazon deliveries to my house every day. in the era of free shipping, it's easy to just order stuff as the thought arises, but it definitely makes sense to consolidate to get less individual trips.

-i want to get better at home made ride snacks. i love the waffle things, and my wife had a recipe for a while to make them at home, i feel like that's better than pre-packed stuff.

what else?
Grease and solvents used to maintain our bikes should be plant based or bio degradable.

Compost your food scraps (you shouldn’t have much to begin with) not trash.

Sort your recycling. Try and buy biodegradable consumables (forks, plates etc if you’re hosting a bbq)

Drive less

Shop local

Grow your own food or support local farmers (less shipping of produce less food waste)

Convert your house to renewable energy and use less in general.

Support local grocers

There’s a lot you can do. Will it make a difference? Who knows, but I’m going to try
Old 07-16-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Easiest way will probably be the Zeta Beam that brought Adam Strange from an archaelogical dig site in South America to the planet Rann. There, he's a champion of the people and defender against all threats with his jetpack and laser gun. He now flip flops back and forth with no control over when it happens. Again, like a terrible version of Quantum Leap, only pre-dating Quantum Leap by about 4 decades.

*** does comic book super heroes have to do with it? Bizarre. Its a matter of time , if we are still around. Maybe 50 years maybe 100 maybe more but i think it can be done.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:16 PM

Home made cycling food is generally less efficient and produces more waste than buying prepacked due to the energy and packaging required. It's more efficient to buy prepared items as economies of scale make a huge difference in the electricity/gas/water required.

Same way it's almost always more efficient for a restaurant to acquire food and prepare for 100 people than it is for those 100 people to do the same for themselves (divide them however you want for family size).

Cooking at home is a cost-saving practice, not an environment saving one.

Biggest impact changes a cyclist could make:
Don't fly
No carbon fiber
No chainlubes that use evaporating carriers
No Co2
Old 07-16-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93svt96 View Post
*** does comic book super heroes have to do with it? Bizarre. Its a matter of time , if we are still around. Maybe 50 years maybe 100 maybe more but i think it can be done.
Just offering a way to make it happen. Though I concede the helmet may not be to everyone's taste.

Of course, if we get to Mars, the Martians might not like us landing there.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Just offering a way to make it happen. Though I concede the helmet may not be to everyone's taste.

Of course, if we get to Mars, the Martians might not like us landing there.

Your a fool to think that over time we can not achieve something like this. Stick to your fantasy comic books. LOL
Old 07-16-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93svt96 View Post
Your a fool to think that over time we can not achieve something like this. Stick to your fantasy comic books. LOL
I never said we couldn't. But it isn't solely down to technical ability.

Just like the abilities of the X-Men who couldn't save Jean Grey as she piloted a damaged shuttle through fatal radiation, eventually merging with the Phoenix Force to create a new, cosmically powered telepathic entity.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I never said we couldn't. But it isn't solely down to technical ability.

Just like the abilities of the X-Men who couldn't save Jean Grey as she piloted a damaged shuttle through fatal radiation, eventually merging with the Phoenix Force to create a new, cosmically powered telepathic entity.

I dont get it , this forum is weird.