Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2020, 02:03 PM

Coffee Geek forum.

Also Home Barista forum:
https://www.home-barista.com/marketplace/
Old 05-05-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
Is there a classifieds for coffee stuff like paceline is for bikes?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
https://www.home-barista.com/buysell/
Old 05-05-2020, 02:23 PM

I don't put soap on my Moka pot.

The whole thing with putting hot water in I think is overkill though, coffee doesn't seem to burn while the water heats up, and it's easy to burn yourself if you're putting near boiling water in a Moka pot and then trying to thread it together with oven mitts or a towel. Good way to get hurt.

That said I'm always using the Moka pot with steamed/foamed milk anyway. If you're going to drink it straight up and pretend it's an espresso shot maybe it becomes more important to do those last 1% techniques.

But I do taste the coffee straight out of the Moka pot and I still don't think pre-heating the water is worth it. If I have warm filtered water I'll use it but I won't go heating the water if it's just going in the Moka pot.

Getting the grind right seems to be by far and away the most important thing... that is almost the only variable you can significantly change.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteiker View Post
Now I just have to build up creds there...
Old 05-05-2020, 03:36 PM

I read this title and thought to myself... "Oooo, time to go snap a quick photo!"

I arrived in the kitchen and find the start of what was to become a massive leak from the faucet, with the countertop already pooling water. As a result of cleaning up the mess, the countertop looks much cleaner now.

Thank you Paceline forum!

I'm really lucky. I got this Rocket Espresso and grinder free from work. We were moving buildings and the machine could not come with us to the new office. The admins chose to give it to me because they remembered me pulling shots and practicing latte art every day.

Given that it was a communal rig, it took a month to get it operational. The plumbing was jammed up with sediments, and the grinder had really old coffee grounds when I took possession. These were sitting in a closet for 2 years before the move, old water and everything!

Old 05-05-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim809 View Post
I read this title and thought to myself... "Oooo, time to go snap a quick photo!"

I arrived in the kitchen and find the start of what was to become a massive leak from the faucet, with the countertop already pooling water. As a result of cleaning up the mess, the countertop looks much cleaner now.

I'm really lucky. I got this Rocket Espresso and grinder free from work. We were moving buildings and the machine could not come with us to the new office. The admins chose to give it to me because they remembered me pulling shots and practicing latte art every day.

Given that it was a communal rig, it took a month to get it operational. The plumbing was jammed up with sediments, and the grinder had really old coffee grounds when I took possession. These were sitting in a closet for 2 years before the move, old water and everything!
I would have been fine with it taking a year to get operational if it was free! Very lucky!
Old 05-06-2020, 12:49 AM

Great save!

Having bought my ~30 y-o Krups espresso maker from Goodwill, I can relate!

It's a simple pump machine, so (like benb's Moka Pot) adjusting the grind is just about the only variable I have to worry about. Works great though.

I have a couple of lbs of Red Bird Espresso heading my way (one's for a gift) and looking forward to it.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:35 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim809 View Post

That's awesome!
Old 05-17-2020, 08:09 AM

can anyone recommend a decent burr grinder which is easy on the ears? I am an early bird who married a late bird and i dont like sleeping in the dog house.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
can anyone recommend a decent burr grinder which is easy on the ears? I am an early bird who married a late bird and i dont like sleeping in the dog house.
See discussion on Niche Zero above. It is significantly quieter than my Baratza Vario, but options are really going to depend on counter space, price and usage (e.g., espresso vs. drip).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbd View Post
See discussion on Niche Zero above. It is significantly quieter than my Baratza Vario, but options are really going to depend on counter space, price and usage (e.g., espresso vs. drip).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
A little rich for my blood. I'll take the dog house.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
A little rich for my blood. I'll take the dog house.
How much are you looking to spend?

Eureka Mignon Silenzio shipped from Italy might do the trick
Old 05-17-2020, 09:17 AM

As the only coffee drinker in the house I keep it simple, stupid.
Used a Moka pot for years, but never got *amazing* coffee from it and now live in an apartment with Induction, so no alloy cookware. Honestly the AeroPress is every bit as good as the Aerobie - though if more than two people come over, we're going out for coffee.
Porlex Mini is a good option for grinding a single dose with little to no noise in the wee hours. I do have a scale but it's nothing special and tbh a level scoop is pretty much 17-18g every time, so I never travel with it.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:40 AM

Son of a biscuit. I do 2-3 pour overs a day at home and use my Virtuoso to grind locally roasted beans I'm fond of, but now I have an irrational desire to get a Niche Zero.

The fact after 4.5+ years I've never really loved my Virtuoso for multiple reasons is probably a factor as well.

Y'all mind talking me off a financial cliff and telling me it's a waste of money for someone only doing pour overs? Thanks!
Old 05-17-2020, 10:05 AM
all slow no go

Not on my bench, but am so close to ordering one of these good boys... http://www.cafelat.com/robot.html

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso