Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs7282 View Post
This comment is both very useful and also the kick in the dick comment made me chuckle. This speaks directly to my main concern.

The way I am approaching this purchase, if I make one, is basically like a lifetime bike. I know I am always going to like coffee (as I enjoy riding a bike, always), so I want to invest more upfront and be happy in the long term. Therefore I am looking at higher end machines and want to get something that won't give me upgrade-itis in a year. At the same time, I don't want to spend $1k+ and dislike the machine because I am too unskilled to use it in a reasonable time frame.

Thanks for the feedback and keep the comments coming!
As others have suggested, try a used Gaggia Classic. ~$250. They've made them for decades. It will not be a limiting factor in making cafe quality espresso or milk drinks & you can easily modify it or resell it if you get upgrade-itis. Spend double that on the grinder.

I was a barista for 5 years, am still a coffee geek, have owned the Classic which I modded. Lever machines are fun but most have a slightly steeper learning curve.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:13 PM

Nothing new on the equipment front but I've been drinking my way through a bunch of fancy coffee.

Got 2lbs from Hula Daddy in Kona.. one of the fancier farms there that I've visted. Bought their cheapest stuff and it came to $100. Kind of crazy, it's a splurge every couple of years. Some of their stuff is pushing $100/lb... might the Coffee borer hitting Kona more every year.

Also got 3 different 1lb bags from George Howell Coffee which is local.

Usually do a pour over (v60) in the morning and if I'm tired I use my Moka pot later in the day to make something resembling a cappucino.

My main issue is I'm too lazy to not drop a whole pound of coffee in the hopper on my grinder. If I was less lazy I'd keep the hopper empty so I could use different coffee for different methods.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Nothing new on the equipment front but I've been drinking my way through a bunch of fancy coffee.

Got 2lbs from Hula Daddy in Kona.. one of the fancier farms there that I've visted. Bought their cheapest stuff and it came to $100. Kind of crazy, it's a splurge every couple of years. Some of their stuff is pushing $100/lb... might the Coffee borer hitting Kona more every year.

Also got 3 different 1lb bags from George Howell Coffee which is local.

Usually do a pour over (v60) in the morning and if I'm tired I use my Moka pot later in the day to make something resembling a cappucino.

My main issue is I'm too lazy to not drop a whole pound of coffee in the hopper on my grinder. If I was less lazy I'd keep the hopper empty so I could use different coffee for different methods.
If you are spending that type of dough On your beans, might as well spend on something that’s really good for single serving dosing
Old 04-16-2020, 02:51 PM

AH, Tumbling down the rabbit hole are we? Welcome!

The type of machine/grider you need is highly variable. espresso? Milk drinks? 1 per day? 5 per day? multiple shots quickly? change beans often? tight on counterspace?

I've owned almost as many espresso machines/grinders in the last 30 years as I've owned bikes...maybe 20+. Everything from low end starbucks branded things to commercial 220V Single group jobs.

Let us know some details and we'll get you dialed. Either that, or give you so much conflicting opinions you'll be right back where you started ;-)

Quote:
This comment is both very useful and also the kick in the dick comment made me chuckle. This speaks directly to my main concern.

The way I am approaching this purchase, if I make one, is basically like a lifetime bike. I know I am always going to like coffee (as I enjoy riding a bike, always), so I want to invest more upfront and be happy in the long term. Therefore I am looking at higher end machines and want to get something that won't give me upgrade-itis in a year. At the same time, I don't want to spend $1k+ and dislike the machine because I am too unskilled to use it in a reasonable time frame.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:54 PM
Viva Chamucos

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
100% this.

Set a budget for grinder, machine, and any miscellaneous accessories (tamp, brush, etc.) and back track from there. The grinder makes most if not all the difference for espresso.
Fully agree. The grinder is really key. I have a Sette grinder plus Gaggia Classic and decent tamper, etc which makes for a relatively consistent and tasty shot. Still, lots of beautiful options available if you have the $$$ and counter space.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:28 PM

Kind-of fun, too ~ like bikes

I recently upgraded my Faema Carisma E61 and Compak K3 grinder to a QM Vetrano double-boiler and a Fiorenzato grinder.

The Faema suffered from some electrical issues, but was finally fixed about 18 months ago (circuit board was repaired and an inline ceramic fuse was integrated...). It was and remains a solid HX machine (not sure if I'm selling this kit or moving into my work-office once work returns to normal).
The grinder was a workhorse with great adjustability. In fact, the new grinder feels like a lateral move.

The new espresso machine gives me better temp stability and the rotary pump is a joy from both a consistency and sound point of view. The steam wand on the new machine gives exceptional micro-foam, too (though I still can't manage the latte art). Overall, I'm thrilled with what I have.

My path was a stab at a super-automatic that simply didn't hold up (high-end Jura) and then pour-over and Aeropress. The Faema was a game-changer. I did get better with technique, but the flavor and consistency was pretty immediate. The biggest thing I needed to learn was the impact of grind consistency/tamping with the vibratory pump.

I have no experience with the Gaggia or Rancilio or such, but I would think that a good E61 HX machine would offer something more given the price jump. Clearly there are folks on this board (i.e. Crankles seems to know a lot) with first hand experience and more knowledge, but I'd recommend exploring those differences before making a decision.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:09 AM

Cat-poo-cino!
I drank this in Bali, where it's made. Super expensive and in my opinion super gimmiky but fun to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
I received a bag of Me Linh weasel coffee recently, as a gift. Supposedly it is amazing. Though I'm a bit put off by the idea of drinking coffee beans that have passed through the digestive system and out the bum of a weasel, and so I haven't tried it.

Opinions?

It's a bit nutty?
Old 04-17-2020, 08:20 AM

Here's my past experience...

My first real setup was a Rancilio Silvia and Rancilio Rocky grinder. I found both frustrating to use, the grinder lacked fine adjustments, and the machine was picky and inconsistent. Funny thing is that inconsistency seemed to be what a lot of people love about the machine, that it takes finess and constent tinkering, pid and ons, etc to make it work well. Using a bottomless portafilter I could never get those really amazing shots you see on youtube. And while it steamed milk OK, I could never get that perfect paint like consistency you want for latte milk. THAT all said, the drinks tasted fine.

Then I upgraded to the Rocket Giotto with Vario grinder. Literally my first dang shot out of the warmed up machine, gorgeous tiger stripe shot out of the bottomless portafilter. And the steaming power made it incredibly easy to make that perfect milk. THAT said, the drinks still pretty much tasted the same as the Silvia setup...

So while the nicer machine was easier to use, looked way nicer, and the steamed milk was probably a lot better for latte art, I can't say I ever noticed a huge difference in the cup, even when just drinking straight espresso. And I was always using high quality fresh beans from local roaster.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:22 AM

I have a Gaggia Classic I bought new from wholelattelove and then a used Rancilio grinder I bought from a PL member who is local to me. I put in new burrs.
I feel like this is the 105/aluminum of espresso. It is so much better than stuff below it and really does the job well. Spend more and there are diminishing returns, but it's still somewhat better. You can also look at it with pride and talk about it with other coffee nerds. I admit I look for upgrades on CL once in a while.
I put on a proper steam wand. I have been thinking about PID but havent done it... yet. It's $150 and work.
Dual boiler is good if you are making lots of milk drinks like in an office but if you are making one or two in the morning, just wait 30 seconds.
I just bought an Espro calibrated tamper (I was using the cheap plastic tamper) and that is SO much better. Get a good tamper.
I would get a doserless grinder for home use. The doser makes no sense for home use. Lots of high end prosumer coffee stuff is wannabe barista, but who is cranking out tons of coffees every morning at home?

The MOST important part of making a great espresso in the morning is the beans. Crap beans and the best $$$ setup in the world is going to make a not great coffee. On the other hand, great beans and a cheap setup like aeropress or Moka will make a great cup.

I have tried lots of beans and I just really like Illy if I want to spend the $ but in the end I get Kimbo. I just really like the flavor. Microroasters can often taste sour or burnt (too dark) but I think coffee geeks like that.

In the end it's personal preference. Don't like something because the internet says it is good. Like it because you like it.

Quote:

Old 04-17-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
The type of machine/grider you need is highly variable. espresso? Milk drinks? 1 per day? 5 per day? multiple shots quickly? change beans often? tight on counterspace?
Thanks Crankles.

I am generally the only coffee drinker in the house. Might be serving guests (including cycling guests!) on occassion. I like a latte or cappuccino occasionally. I think I'll mostly be making espressos, though, some of which will be turned into americanos. My habit is usually 2-3 cups per day. Counter space isn't a huge issue, but smaller is generally better, just aesthetically speaking and for domestic harmony!

Generally I do not change beans often. I should mention that I recently plunked down for a HG-1 manual grinder since I am confident than can serve my current coffee routine as well as any future espresso routine that I get into. I went with the manual grinder as I like the simplicity and quietness. Our house is pretty open, so an electric grinder could easily wake people up in the wee hours when I'm up for a ride...
Old 04-17-2020, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Reporting in.

I asked for recs for places that deliver fresh roasted beans and got a recommendation for these guys in NY.

Very good service! Ordered, and they roast your order fresh and ship it the next day.

drinking some single origin roasters choice this morning, good stuff.

https://irvingfarm.com/
Old 04-17-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
If you are spending that type of dough On your beans, might as well spend on something that’s really good for single serving dosing
I'm happy with my grinder and I weigh everything out in grams... not really sure what you're implying.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew+ View Post
As others have suggested, try a used Gaggia Classic. ~$250. They've made them for decades. It will not be a limiting factor in making cafe quality espresso or milk drinks & you can easily modify it or resell it if you get upgrade-itis. Spend double that on the grinder.

I was a barista for 5 years, am still a coffee geek, have owned the Classic which I modded. Lever machines are fun but most have a slightly steeper learning curve.
I recently took the plunge on a first espresso machine and bought the Gaggia Classic Pro. I'm a noob, but after a couple hours spent dialing in my grind and experimenting with getting the tamp right, etc., and a couple weeks' daily experience, I'm making consistently delicious espresso. Is it cafe quality? I don't know, but I'm really happy with it. The Gaggia feels like a solid machine that is built to last and looks great, too. No regrets. I've got a Eureka Mignon grinder, FWIW.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:42 AM

Recently upgraded my Vario (now relegated to drip duty with steel burrs), and replaced it with a Niche Zero. Couldn't be happier. Much more consistent shots with less channeling, also way quieter. I'm a big fan of Gracenote beans here in Boston, but now you have me really interested in roasting my own!

Last edited by joshbd; 04-17-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:28 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbd View Post
Recently upgraded my Vario (now relegated to drip duty with steel burrs), and replaced it with a Niche Zero. Couldn't be happier. Much more consistent shots with less channeling, also way quieter. I'm a big fan of Gracenote beans here in Boston, but now you have me really interested in roasting my own!

I have really been wanting to order the Niche Zero but haven't pulled the trigger yet. My Ceado is great, but I like the idea of a zero retention grinder.

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso