Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
I started roasting my own beans about 18 months ago and never looked back. Saves a ton of money and the beans are always fresh. I roast 2x a week and each time it only takes 10 min. I have a friend that has a little farm and I give her beans 2x a week too and in return I get eggs from her chickens and vegetables from her garden.

It's win-win!

Roasting is SUPER easy.
What do you use to roast your beans?
Old 04-16-2020, 10:34 AM
aka RAEKWON

You know how you know someone roasts their own coffee?

They will tell you about it.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:40 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post

That's funny. But true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
What do you use to roast your beans?
I use one of these, the 500 model.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.freshroast.php

There are videos on YouTube to show you how to use the "Fresh Roast" roasters. Here is the one that I used to learn - my first batch came out great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wp6pV2wTBM&t=1s

These are my favorite beans for making espresso for my lattes:
https://www.coffeebeancorral.com/www...nd__LATTE.aspx
Old 04-16-2020, 10:59 AM

What are you guys roasting with? I experimented with a behmor for about a year, I was never happy with the results.
Would love to try a hottop, but $$$
Old 04-16-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:

It’s okay. at least it’s (1) informative and (2) not evangelical in tone (contrast that to vegans, cross-fitters, and paleo dieters).

ETA, this stuff is not trivial, and the smoke emitted is apparently not really good for one’s health either. All the more important that we learn from others
Old 04-16-2020, 12:18 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
It’s okay. at least it’s (1) informative and (2) not evangelical in tone (contrast that to vegans, cross-fitters, and paleo dieters).

ETA, this stuff is not trivial, and the smoke emitted is apparently not really good for one’s health either. All the more important that we learn from others
Ya, it is essential to do it outside. I always do it on the back porch and the "scent" of beans roasting can travel a couple of houses away if the wind is right.

When it's warm out the beans do roast faster than when roasting on a winter day because of the ambient air temp, so don't try to roast by timing things.

I always start it with the fan speed "high", then turn it down by 25% every 2 min. This is for 1/4# batches with the unit I mentioned above. Usually right around 6 min and it's close to being done. I always take it into the 2nd crack (starting to sound like popcorn being popped) and then just watch it until it's the color that I like. Once it gets into a dark roast it goes dark really quick - I always stop it before it gets dark.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benadrian View Post
Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Rocky grinder.

Like every other hobby (bikes, guitar stuff), I got totally obsessed with gear. For ages I looked to upgrade my stuff, but ultimately I got distracted by the next hobby and stopped obsessing over coffee gear. I realized that I've been using this setup for like 4 years or so, making coffee every day, and have been super happy.
For Christmas this year my wife got me a La Pavoni Prefessional lever machine to go in our soon-to-be remodeled kitchen.

I've been having a lot of fun with it, especially during lockdown. It's a challenge. The internet is no help. I go to coffee forums and people tell me to so a certain thing to get a good pull from the level machine. Then I go to another thread and they tell me to do something which contradicts the first thread. I suppose it's no different than the bike world, the guitar world, or any other weird, nerdy gear obsession I have.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Old 04-16-2020, 12:40 PM

I have been lurking in this thread as a would-be first time espresso machine buyer. Figured I'd chime in now that it's recently bubbled back up to the top.

Interested in hearing feedback from those on hear who may have owned/used both a semi-auto and manual/lever type machine.

I am "on the fence" between the two types. I like the idea of the simplicity and complete control a lever machine offers. On the other hand, I'd hate to spend a bunch of money and wind up frustrated because I lack the skill necessary to operate the manual machine. Of course, that is probably a matter of putting in the time and practice.

Having only ever used a standard drip machine and (99.9% of the time) an Aeropress, this is new territory to me, so appreciate any insights and experience you might share.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs7282 View Post
I have been lurking in this thread as a would-be first time espresso machine buyer. Figured I'd chime in now that it's recently bubbled back up to the top.

Interested in hearing feedback from those on hear who may have owned/used both a semi-auto and manual/lever type machine.

I am "on the fence" between the two types. I like the idea of the simplicity and complete control a lever machine offers. On the other hand, I'd hate to spend a bunch of money and wind up frustrated because I lack the skill necessary to operate the manual machine. Of course, that is probably a matter of putting in the time and practice.

Having only ever used a standard drip machine and (99.9% of the time) an Aeropress, this is new territory to me, so appreciate any insights and experience you might share.
I have a Gaggia Classic (a no-frills but good quality semi-auto) and the La Pavoni Professional (lever). If I had not gotten the Gaggia first and learned my lessons with that machine, the La Pavoni lever machine would be a non-stop kick in the dick. In my opinion, there are too many variables with the manual machine for the total beginner.

The Gaggia let me concentrate on grind size, tamp pressure, and pull time. I let the machine take care of water temperature, pull pressure, and every other variable. Moving to the lever machine felt like starting over in a lot of ways, but I had the experience of having been down a similar path.

There was a great, unexpected side benefit for me. Once I started really getting serious about getting a good pull on the La Pavoni at home, I got back into using the Gaggia, which I keep at work. I had slipped over the years, but I went back to taking precise measurement of grind and output weights, timing the shot, and so on. The result was a huge improvement after a few years of getting lazy and having slipping quality.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:16 PM

I have a Breville Barista Express (870) with the integrated burr grinder.

It is considered a low end unit in the world of espresso machine but I think it is gateway into the world of espresso.

We have been happy with it. I was worried that wife would not like to grind coffee each day and then steam the milk. But turns out that she couldn't go back to the K-cup world after this.

Excellent for $400 (bought new from eBay with discount/coupons) and it was working fine for a year so far.

https://www.breville.com/us/en/produ...so/bes870.html
Old 04-16-2020, 01:19 PM
PegoNagos

We went thru 3 semi-automatic machines in my house before I got a Gaggia Classic.

Yes, it's easy to just push a button, but those machines just do not last. If that's what you budget needs though then go for it, but my recommendation is to go with a Gaggia Classic Pro (best 1st espresso machine in my opinion) and get the best grinder you can afford.

I still have my Gaggia Classic at home and I have a Profitec Pro 500 at my office that I use most of the time. No difference in the taste of the espresso from both machines. The benefit of the Profitec are that it's sexier, can brew and steam at the same time, and the steam makes magic with the milk better.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:22 PM

I received a bag of Me Linh weasel coffee recently, as a gift. Supposedly it is amazing. Though I'm a bit put off by the idea of drinking coffee beans that have passed through the digestive system and out the bum of a weasel, and so I haven't tried it.

Opinions?

It's a bit nutty?

Instagram
Old 04-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benadrian View Post
I have a Gaggia Classic (a no-frills but good quality semi-auto) and the La Pavoni Professional (lever). If I had not gotten the Gaggia first and learned my lessons with that machine, the La Pavoni lever machine would be a non-stop kick in the dick. In my opinion, there are too many variables with the manual machine for the total beginner.

The Gaggia let me concentrate on grind size, tamp pressure, and pull time. I let the machine take care of water temperature, pull pressure, and every other variable. Moving to the lever machine felt like starting over in a lot of ways, but I had the experience of having been down a similar path.
This comment is both very useful and also the kick in the dick comment made me chuckle. This speaks directly to my main concern.

The way I am approaching this purchase, if I make one, is basically like a lifetime bike. I know I am always going to like coffee (as I enjoy riding a bike, always), so I want to invest more upfront and be happy in the long term. Therefore I am looking at higher end machines and want to get something that won't give me upgrade-itis in a year. At the same time, I don't want to spend $1k+ and dislike the machine because I am too unskilled to use it in a reasonable time frame.

Thanks for the feedback and keep the comments coming!
Old 04-16-2020, 01:52 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
If that's what you budget needs though then go for it, but my recommendation is to go with a Gaggia Classic Pro (best 1st espresso machine in my opinion) and get the best grinder you can afford.
100% this.

Set a budget for grinder, machine, and any miscellaneous accessories (tamp, brush, etc.) and back track from there. The grinder makes most if not all the difference for espresso.

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso