Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2023, 04:27 PM

Throwback to NFD (new frame day) in 2014, "The One that Got Away" aka "The one I wish I hadn't sold". I agree with everyone else here, this is the best riding Cannondale I've ever ridden. I just didn't know what I had. And I've never seen another one since. Dang..

Last edited by shoota; 09-19-2023 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 04:56 PM

I've owned multiple CAAD10s, a Six13 Pro, and an early aluminum/steel forked Cannondale road frame from the late 80s. I've also had a number of handbuilt steel/titanium road bikes in between, but they've all moved on other than the CAAD10 Black with 11 speed di2 that I still have. It's the platonic ideal of a road bike.
Old 09-19-2023, 10:34 PM

I can only speak to a CAAD9, which I used to have. Will say that with a nice set of wheels, it rode pretty much as good as anything I own or owned. Just a really well made, neutral-handling, American mass produced frame.

I wish I never sold it. But, it went to a forum member and hopefully they're enjoying it.
Old 09-20-2023, 09:51 AM

I have to (for the sake of consistency) offer the original SystemSix, which has a CAAD9 rear triangle so maybe an honorary member I got the corrosion problem, probably not safe to ride anymore, but I kept the frame anyway.

In some ways, peak Cannondale.

There's apparently an unridden frameset in 56cm on a prominent auction site, but I ride a 58 or I'd consider buying (it'd be an expensive buy as I don't have any rim components anymore, but this one maybe would be worth it - I do happen to have a spare BB30 bearing set for some reason it turns out). CAAD9, too, also 56.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgates66 View Post
I have to (for the sake of consistency) offer the original SystemSix, which has a CAAD9 rear triangle so maybe an honorary member I got the corrosion problem, probably not safe to ride anymore, but I kept the frame anyway.

In some ways, peak Cannondale.

There's apparently an unridden frameset in 56cm on a prominent auction site, but I ride a 58 or I'd consider buying (it'd be an expensive buy as I don't have any rim components anymore, but this one maybe would be worth it - I do happen to have a spare BB30 bearing set for some reason it turns out). CAAD9, too, also 56.
I don't know what your handlebar position is like, but the 56 and 58cm CAAD8-10 are really similar in terms of reach. If you're slammed on the 58, then you'll be totally fine riding a 56 cm, you'll just need ~15-20mm of spacers.

Edit: not sure if this is helpful or not, but these two bikes have contact points in almost identical places, the 56 has a half a degree steeper STA so a setback post is required, and I've got a 130mm on the 56 vs a 120 on the 58:

Edit 2--ignore the crazy pointed up seat on the top bike, I had just built it up when I took the pic and I don't really have any other pics of that bike. Only dorks had smartphones back then and that bike was a "race tool" so I don't have many glamour shots of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0661.jpg (94.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9503.jpg (126.9 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by rothwem; 09-21-2023 at 09:10 AM.

Tags
cannondale, cult of caad