Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2020, 06:52 PM

OT: Will there be a real winter this year in the Northeast?

I like being able to ride without bundling up, but I do enjoy cold weather, and even snow, and I wonder if we'll get any of it this year. It's been feeling more like early November than early January.

Meanwhile, Norway had its warmest ever January day, at 66°F: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50971446.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:05 PM

I’d estimate we have had around 30 inches of snow here in Albany already. Late fall was very winter like.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:53 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I'm in VA and I certainly hope we don't have winter!

M
Old 01-04-2020, 08:01 PM

Boston: So far this winter has been 13 degrees warmer than last year.

Last edited by wc1934; 01-04-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:04 PM

Stockholm still no snow and im not sure its been under zero celcius yet? hmm maybe i just forgot.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:04 PM

It's been mild in the Midwest as well, although this is the only year I can recall when we had snow for Halloween (3-4 inches) and none at all for Christmas.

Last year the early winter was mild as well, at least until mid-January. A 'polar vortex' and record breaking 30 below zero followed shortly thereafter... and the remainder of the winter was truly frigid.

All of this makes me feel a bit like an old guy, talking about the weather.

Wait... I am an old guy...
Old 01-04-2020, 08:07 PM
Randomhead

the pattern in the Northeast has been that we have it mild up through December and then the polar vortex hits us again and again until April.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:45 PM
Reborn !!

I thought I saw Boston was exactly at it’s average snowfall through the end of December

But definitely feels milder

Can't we just talk about this for a moment?
Old 01-04-2020, 11:12 PM

MD - I hope NO. My Koi are confused. I fed them today for the first time in months. I seriously don't know how to deal with this weather as a Koi owner.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:22 PM
slower than you

I'm retired, have a ton of time, but haven't been to Vermont where I have two ski passes for over a month now, and after calling my friend who is an instructor at Killington tonight, I'm waiting one more week for the drive. Lame.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:29 PM

I prefer it not to, but the real cold tends to start sometime in late January and last until late March, at least here in DC.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:22 AM

Lately here in the mitten state it's been pretty mild. But after a crappy spring and fall I'll take it. And our way above average lake and river levels I'm ok with no snow. Can be mild all winter and I'd be thrilled. We need some evaporation of lake Michigan so levels go down some. It's been eating shoreline like crazy for a year now. Including houses.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:49 AM

Up here in Berlin, Germany, we have no traces of winter. It's a little chilly, but has barely hit below freezing. It's been raining which is great since we had a hot summer, but it feels more like California than Russia here.

I don't need it to get colder, but nature could use its cycle. If this continues, we'll have asparagus season in March!
Old 01-05-2020, 06:12 AM

Not a stellar winter in Berlin and Norway, but holding their own with about 35% more snow than average this time of year. No - not that Berlin or Norway ... New England Berlin (NH) and Norway (ME). Ice skating rink last weekend around the region’s ski resorts after rain and warmer weather the week before, but a 14”-18” powder day ushered in the New Year. Both skinning and downhill were much improved. Temps still a bit warm at 20’s/30’s, which once again brought trail counts down. Natural snow trails have no base and were quickly skied off. A light layer of fresh snow last night, but wet flakes. Mid 20’s still so struggling to stay cold.

Had our 15” of snow in metro Boston early December. Contractor working on house assured me he’d be working well into December to wrap up our project. I laughed at his optimism. He did have a day or two outside in Dec. North metro Boston has a light coat of snow, but clear streets have a fair number of thermal kitted cyclists out - quite a few 30’s/low 40’s days.

So all in all an OK winter so far in southern New England for the bike and a drive-to winter north for the boards. Gotta go West for really good snow tho.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I like being able to ride without bundling up, but I do enjoy cold weather, and even snow, and I wonder if we'll get any of it this year. It's been feeling more like early November than early January.

Meanwhile, Norway had its warmest ever January day, at 66°F: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50971446.
Chinese hoax..BUT, you can have our winter..a BIG and medium snow already and TONS in the mountains..

You do, eh? Yer nutz....