Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2020, 11:26 PM

One interesting side effect of Flomax can be that you don't ejaculate. You do, but it goes into your bladder. Completely harmless, but might give you a fright if you don't know about it. Has to do with pressures and following lowest pressure... which is now to the bladder, not out your member. Doesn't change your ability to ahem... orgasm... just the 'outcome'.

Ask your urologist and they can explain it in detail.

It can also reduce sex drive, and cause priapism - which can be an emergency if left untreated.

Here is what drugs.com has to say:
https://www.drugs.com/flomax.html

I would use anything you hear here as a jumping point to talk with your urologist. Formulate what questions you want an expert to answer. The prostate is nothing to mess with... or is it? Anyway, best of luck - I know a ton patients who use Flomax every day. The big shocker for most who don't get warned first is the loss of ejaculate... so this way you know.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:33 AM

yes and...

supposedly one of the most frequent side effects of TURP is the same thing. there should be a better way to deal this prob. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
One interesting side effect of Flomax can be that you don't ejaculate. You do, but it goes into your bladder. Completely harmless, but might give you a fright if you don't know about it. Has to do with pressures and following lowest pressure... which is now to the bladder, not out your member. Doesn't change your ability to ahem... orgasm... just the 'outcome'.

Ask your urologist and they can explain it in detail.

It can also reduce sex drive, and cause priapism - which can be an emergency if left untreated.

Here is what drugs.com has to say:
https://www.drugs.com/flomax.html

I would use anything you hear here as a jumping point to talk with your urologist. Formulate what questions you want an expert to answer. The prostate is nothing to mess with... or is it? Anyway, best of luck - I know a ton patients who use Flomax every day. The big shocker for most who don't get warned first is the loss of ejaculate... so this way you know.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:46 PM

saw doc today

very little retained urine. drugs working as they should. up at night to pee a few times, according to him, does not warrant going under the knife. and he loves to do surgery. not me, not yet.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
very little retained urine. drugs working as they should. up at night to pee a few times, according to him, does not warrant going under the knife. and he loves to do surgery. not me, not yet.
That's great news!
Old 01-09-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
Good news! And now you know where you stand with this.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:00 PM

FWIW - had laser surgery (holmium laser) on January 9th. Doc said two weeks off the bike and that has seemed to be a good call. Started back riding 5 days ago after two weeks off the bike, and have increased daily minutes riding each day with (fortunately) little effect (he told me to see how it feels, and also to look for blood in the urine.) 30 miles on the road bike today.

Going back for the follow-up in 1-1/2 weeks, and will see if the retained urine number has dropped significantly. The obstructed piping has definitely been cleared out, though

First few days with the catheter weren't the most fun I've ever had, but certainly tolerable. I walked every day, and started to do some desk work after a couple of days.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:26 PM

congrats

may you pee like a race horse and not have to deal with the pesky little fukr any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
FWIW - had laser surgery (holmium laser) on January 9th. Doc said two weeks off the bike and that has seemed to be a good call. Started back riding 5 days ago after two weeks off the bike, and have increased daily minutes riding each day with (fortunately) little effect (he told me to see how it feels, and also to look for blood in the urine.) 30 miles on the road bike today.

Going back for the follow-up in 1-1/2 weeks, and will see if the retained urine number has dropped significantly. The obstructed piping has definitely been cleared out, though

First few days with the catheter weren't the most fun I've ever had, but certainly tolerable. I walked every day, and started to do some desk work after a couple of days.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:23 PM

1 month follow-up - retained urine at 1/5 of previous. No drugs, no noticeable side effects. Back to normal riding patterns too. Really glad I did this.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Good news !
Old 02-11-2020, 10:10 PM

Thx 4 the update
Glad to hear!
Old 02-12-2020, 11:17 AM
jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
The reason you get up at night is because when you urinate before going to bed, you are not emptying the bladder. So you just keep going and going. You don't want urine to back into the kidneys. Or have large amounts of urine always in the bladder which tend to raise risks of UTI's. At some point.....you have to fix problem, when drugs no long do the job.

I had the laser surgery. With usual side effects. Would rather not have had it done. But...you have to be able to empty the bladder. Normal way or self cath. Not optional.
THIS ^^^
I started out getting up to pee and got on meds. Found out that even with the meds i was retaining HUGE volumes of urine to the point i stretched my bladder and the urine was backing up into the kidneys... not a good thing and shouldn't be ignored.