Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2019, 12:38 PM

ot: prostate roto rooter

had symptoms forever. been taking both drugs forever. thinking about ending drugs and doing the reaming job. my doc seems to be "pushing" turp. i know there's like 10 other options.

1. which one did you have done?
2. do you think it was the best choice?
3. would you go a different route given the choice today?
4. worst if any side effects?
5. HOW LONG BEFORE BACK ON THE BIKE??????

Last edited by eddief; 12-31-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:14 PM

hippa issues?

private messages good.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:56 PM

If your doc is recommending TURP, I am assuming your symptoms are of the BPH variety? Make sure you are keeping your eye on your PSA number. If not through your urologist, there's a number of online services to order the test and get the blood drawn at a local lab. I was in the exact opposite situation; no symptoms other than a PSA that escalated 300% in less than a year. That self-ordered test saved my life quite probably. So that's my PSA on PSA's . I had the full-blown RRP and can provide answers to your questions from that standpoint if needed.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

I've been using meds for the last year and am fairly satisfied.
A TURP is a good options but like any procedure it has potential side effects or unintended consequences which I'm sure your doctor outlined. The TURP procedure has a long record and is basically safe and effective. I have a couple cycling buddies that have had it done and they are happy. They were off the bike only a few weeks.

My urologist is big on a procedure called the Urolift https://www.urolift.com but it's still fairly new and I'm waiting to see more long term outcomes. I think it looks promising. That said , my urologist used it on his 84 year old father just a couple of months ago. It's a quick outpatient procedure.

There are a lot of other treatment options-heat , microwaves, lasers, etc. My thought is that there are so many because there is money to be made. More significantly there are so many because there isn't one treatment that stands out. A couple other friends, not cyclists, have tried the green laser resection and they weren't happy because they ended up with retrograde ejaculation.

So, basically all I have are anecdotes. You should listen to your doc as he/she will pick the procedure they are most comfortable performing and think is the most effective.

I think there is at least one other Urologist on the forum and maybe they can chime in with a more informed post.

Good luck
Old 12-31-2019, 05:49 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
My urologist is big on a procedure called the Urolift https://www.urolift.com but it's still fairly new and I'm waiting to see more long term outcomes. I think it looks promising. That said , my urologist used it on his 84 year old father just a couple of months ago. It's a quick outpatient procedure.
Just saw a urologist today who also recommends this for those that drugs don't work well or who want off them. Quite interesting out patient procedure with only about a day of taking it easy, but I think I'm like Gasman - wait awhile if the drugs work. OTOH the Dr. said insurance companies had required a 5 year track record before getting on board so ....
Old 12-31-2019, 05:56 PM

I've been taking flomax and finasteride for a couple of years now. I have no negative side effects and I take the maximum .8mg per day. My urologist also suggested urolift, but not everyone is a candidate. They do some type of scope inspection first.

Last edited by Dave; 01-01-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:08 PM

I don't know what the OP's actual symptoms were, but if it's difficulty with urination, know that gastric activity, i.e. localized distention within the intestine, can essentially tug on the urethra, mimicking a prostate problem.

Perhaps experimenting with one's eating schedule might shed light on this as possible causation.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I don't know what the OP's actual symptoms were, but if it's difficulty with urination, know that gastric activity, i.e. localized distention within the intestine, can essentially tug on the urethra, mimicking a prostate problem.

Perhaps experimenting with one's eating schedule might shed light on this as possible causation.
Sorry, the urethra is not near the stomach (gastric) nor near the intestines. However, the ureters run from the kidneys posteriorly to the large and small bowel but don’t actually touch.

Sometimes what you drink (coffee, tea) or eat (spicy food) can cause bladder irritation and make you have to urinate frequently.
I suspect though the OP is old enough to know the joys of an enlarged prostate which can cause plenty of symptoms on its own.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:52 PM

symptoms

this is about bph. only bothersome one is up a few times at night to pee. 1 or 2 not so bad. 4 bad. unpredictable.

Last edited by eddief; 12-31-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
this is about both. only bothersome one is up a few times at night to pee. 1 or 2 not so bad. 4 bad. unpredictable.
Get it fixed before you wake up and can't pee at all.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:22 PM

let's see

do I want to have a knife stuck up my weiner into the inner sanctum or deal with a few wake up pee calls? that is the real question.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Sorry, the urethra is not near the stomach (gastric) nor near the intestines. However, the ureters run from the kidneys posteriorly to the large and small bowel but don’t actually touch.

Sometimes what you drink (coffee, tea) or eat (spicy food) can cause bladder irritation and make you have to urinate frequently.
I suspect though the OP is old enough to know the joys of an enlarged prostate which can cause plenty of symptoms on its own.

There is no question that gastric distension can affect bladder pressure, urine flow and ability to initiate urination, though I didn't say that it had much to do with "proximity" (since pressure on internal "guts" can displace tissues far from the source).

I'm a 3-4x/night pee-er, and it depends at least as much on gut activity as on how full that my bladder is.
Eating a meal close to bedtime is one thing that I have correlated with frequent wake-up calls of the bladder, just as eating cruciferous vegetables or beans does the same thing.
It's just something to consider, along with other less-pleasant possibilities such as medical intervention/drugs.
At the very least, it might tip the scales from "problem" to a mere irritation that can be controlled.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:40 AM

The reason you get up at night is because when you urinate before going to bed, you are not emptying the bladder. So you just keep going and going. You don't want urine to back into the kidneys. Or have large amounts of urine always in the bladder which tend to raise risks of UTI's. At some point.....you have to fix problem, when drugs no long do the job.

I had the laser surgery. With usual side effects. Would rather not have had it done. But...you have to be able to empty the bladder. Normal way or self cath. Not optional.

Last edited by Ralph; 01-01-2020 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:41 AM

What have been the side-effects of Flomax for any of you all who have tried it? Manageable? Unacceptable? Any effects on blood pressure or (unwanted effects) south of the border?
Old 01-01-2020, 07:52 AM

been taking combo Flomax and Proscar generic for at least 3 years

after i got a uti doctor doubled Flomax. have not had uti since. he said watch out for dizzy, but that has not been an issue. don't go seemingly an abnormal of times during the day and no other real symptoms or side effects either. just night time visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
What have been the side-effects of Flomax for any of you all who have tried it? Manageable? Unacceptable? Any effects on blood pressure or (unwanted effects) south of the border?