Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2019, 11:08 AM

"Cycling Without Age", Nonprofit Gets Seniors Outside

Story out of Copenhagen, about a program to get seniors outside by giving them rides on bikes. This is so awesome. I would sign up to carry them around and I would sign up to be carried around when my time came:

Ole Kassow, of Copenhagen, Denmark, was riding his bike to work one morning in 2012 when he noticed an old, disabled man sitting on a bench outside a local nursing home. The man reminded him of his father, who uses a wheelchair.

Knowing the challenges that come with limited mobility in old age, and thinking about how deeply engrained bicycling is in Copenhagen culture, a thought occurred to him: The man likely hadn’t ridden a bike in a long time and, Kassow thought, he probably missed it.

“I couldn’t get that thought out of my head, that I needed to get this man back on a bike,” Kassow told Bicycling.

These volunteer rides grew into what is now the nonprofit Cycling Without Age.

“It really has the potential to change people’s lives dramatically,” Kassow said.

Their evidence of this was anecdotal at first. But after conducting an impact study in their Singapore chapter, they discovered that these rides have the potential to improve participants’ reported mood and outlook on life by up to 80 percent.

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a3...age-nonprofit/
Old 12-30-2019, 11:36 AM

As an FYI - we do this in the USA (Maine) free of charge for regular programming. (The only program of its size to do so.) Sometimes with a cost for special programs.

Primarily serving people with adaptive needs in New England, but for specialty programs like Veterans No Boundaries participants come from all over the United States. If you can get to Maine there's no reason not to participate. Donations always welcome.

Adaptive bikes, hand cycles, and other equipment available during warm weather months, in addition to padding sports, climbing, golf, tennis, and other activities. Snow related equipment and activities in winter. Age should stop no one.

Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation: maineadaptive.org http://maineadaptive.org
Old 12-30-2019, 11:51 AM

Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
As an FYI - we do this in the USA (Maine) free of charge for regular programming. (The only program of its size to do so.) Sometimes with a cost for special programs.

Primarily serving people with adaptive needs in New England, but for specialty programs like Veterans No Boundaries participants come from all over the United States. If you can get to Maine there's no reason not to participate. Donations always welcome.

Adaptive bikes, hand cycles, and other equipment available during warm weather months, in addition to padding sports, climbing, golf, tennis, and other activities. Snow related equipment and activities in winter. Age should stop no one.

Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation: maineadaptive.org http://maineadaptive.org
Thank you for the post and link. That sounds like an awesome program in Maine. And good on you for participating.

I agree, age shouldn't stop us. I hope there's such programs local for me when I need them.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:43 PM

There is something similar for adaptive sports here in Richmond too, group is called Sportable. When my schedule allows I volunteer with their adaptive cycling program. I have also been a guide runner for their visually impaired running group, and helped out with power wheelchair soccer too. It's a great program, lots of ways to volunteer all over the place. www.sportable.org

Last edited by cmbicycles; 12-30-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:24 PM

This is awesome.

Where would you buy a bike like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efixler View Post
This is awesome.

Where would you buy a bike like that?

There are some on the US website. Expensive.

Jeff
Old 12-30-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
There are some on the US website. Expensive.

Jeff

Thanks.

https://copenhagencycles.com/

These are all battery powered/assist I wonder about straight mechanical ones...