Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2019, 01:12 AM
Vendor

Getting a sore lower back from cycling

All of a sudden I've started getting lower back pain from cycling. I've been riding for years (road and mtn) and have never felt anything this intense. I don't know if it's age creeping up on me or what. I'll feel some tightening of the muscles a few hours after my ride is over. The real pain shows up the following day and lasts until the second or third day. I can't think of anything I did recently that might've tweaked my back - no heavy lifting and all my recent rides were well within what I've done in the past without problem. I haven't made any changes to my position and am getting the same pain across three different bikes (road, mtn, gravel).

I'll admit that I'm not too good about stretching or core workouts. I also spend a lot of time sitting in front of a screen. I've been doing some stretches I found on YouTube, which seem to help, but would love to get some more advice like specific stretches, off-bike workout routines, or anything else to try.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:42 AM

Check the saddle position, if it moved down at the back a little bit it could be the source of the problem.

The other issue Ive noticed is that when you get older saddles from one day to another dont work as intended anymore. Body changes...
Old 12-30-2019, 02:51 AM

It’s more than just stretches. It should also be core strengthening work. At least 2x per week. Planks, etc

I also add bench dumbell rows to the routine. Personally found these useful, as i’d otherwise get a sore back when sleeping (on really firm mattress)
Old 12-30-2019, 04:20 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Riding in the drops more? Overgearing on hills to build early season muscle? Aside from behavioral changes on the bike core work will only make you better.

Stretches That help my lower back, for me, are all hip/hip flexor related. Couch stretch, pigeon pose and hamstring stretches keep my hips open and lower back feeling nice. That and core work (as others have said).

The stretching shouldn’t take more than 10 mins to do combined. Hold each pose, for each leg for a minute. More if you want, and progress deeper into stretch. Your body will let you know your limits.

For core work, do a plank for a combined total of 2 mins (4x30sec or 20x10sec or 2x60sec or whatever combo you can do). Then do some lower back exercises like the Superman or Reverse Snow Angel.

I prefer stretching after my ride, every other ride/day. I do core work before my rides otherwise I would never do it -alternating with the days I stretch.

Basic, basic, accessible stuff. The goal here is to get you to do it, not be world class at it.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:00 AM

I feel your pain. I tweaked my lower back 2 yrs ago on a gravel ride when my saddle was out of position (down in the back), and it took about 8 weeks to recover. I still have to be careful as I recently tweaked it skiing.

Stretching and core work help. You also just need to rest it when sore. If you try to push it, you can really find yourself in a world of hurt.

If you can find the SALONPAS patch at CVS or Walgreens, try placing these on the sore spot to relieve the pain. Just getting the muscle to relax is the first step to recovery.

In my case, this is just old age and years of stupid stuff catching up with me. I carry a few extra pounds, and think dropping some weight will also help.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:10 AM

With what frequency do you ride? If daily or 5-6x/week you might try not riding for a week. Logic: if you have a mild strain (from cycling or whatever) it will reduce aggravating the injury and give it time to heal.

If that doesn’t work core strengthening/stretching exercise is next course of action. Then if no relief it might be early onset of a more chronic condition like disc degeneration or osteo. In that case seeking professional medical advice would be a good way to go.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:00 AM

How old are you?

Age is the no brainer. It's going to happen. My back hurt all last week, from wrapping gifts. No injury, no stress, just leaning over wrapping stuff. Old age is here, ready to set off on my ice flow.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:14 AM

I've suffered from a sore back from time to time since I was in my early twenties. At nearly 50 I have to stretch daily to prevent it from flaring up. There are three or four core stretches that help me immensely. For me, hamstring stretches, and inner psoas stretches do the trick, along with hip opening stretches. I've found that riding can both help and hurt, depending on my fitness level. I feel immediately better after a ride when my back is "happy". A fun spirited 30 mile ride is like back conditioning and helps. When things are flared up, I'm lucky to get 30 without suffering. Best of luck and hopefully you can add some stretches to help alleviate the pain.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:37 AM

This time of year, I often have lower back issues from standing at lots of holiday parties and/or lots of time in the car going shopping or traveling. My knees swell too. Others have already mentioned core strengthening and stretching. I've found that as my hamstrings tighten, they pull and put undo stress on my lower back. Often, it is a matter of stretching not only the hamstrings, but the quads as well. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:46 AM

Stretch those hamstrings. Everything gets less pliable as we age.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:12 AM

Through not stretching enough and doing a buncha deadlifts to help hip strength for SS mtbing, I managed to tighten a muscle real bad ... this technique was magic. Cleared up some problems for me within minutes. Would have helped a lot of back tweaks and tightness I got from mountain biking and low/in the drops aggressive road riding over the years, actually. I should do it more, now that I think about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWmGArQBtFI&t=426s
Old 12-30-2019, 08:15 AM

I hate to bring this up but it could be an indicator of something else that's going on that cycling brings to the forefront. This is especially true since you are a seasoned cyclist. When was the last time you have had a complete physical with a doctor?
Old 12-30-2019, 08:22 AM

10 minutes of dead bugs and 3x25 back extensions 3 times a week works for 61 y.o. me. I don't think stretching prevents cycling related back trouble. If you are going to stretch, be gentle. It can f you up in a hurry.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Stretch those hamstrings. Everything gets less pliable as we age.
Yup, that's where my pain comes from.
If I stand for any length of time, my back starts hurting. Stretching the hams takes care of it.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:22 AM

Could be as simple as having tweaked the spine while sleeping.

As others noted core work and stretching including (maybe most important) muscles around the hips. Also find a very good chiro........one that knows to warm and relax muscles before manipulation. I learned the hard way.....