Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2019, 05:37 PM

Acura TSX wagon -- anyone?

i'm looking for an affordable wagon which offers more utility than my current E92 M3 (I know, zero utility). I've always been a wagon guy and liked the look of these. They can be had with reasonable mileage for 15-17k. The 2.5 engine, albeit dogish, looks to be pretty reliable and decent mileage. I'm in Dallas so don't really need AWD.

Anyone have one? Thoughts?
Old 12-29-2019, 05:51 PM

I had always been intrigued by them, also.

This has come up in the various wagon threads a few times, seems like the usable storage space is pretty minimal, even compared to a hatch like a Golf/GTI or Fit. Disappointingly, you might not fit very big of a bike in the back.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:56 PM

I looked at them before recently buying a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (CPO). I couldn't find one with low enough miles (under 30K) and preferably CPO. I think its a good wagon but for $13.5K i got a VW with 13K miles, CPO warranty, and was about $5K less than any Acura with less than 50K. Its obviously got the Acura reliability and I think they look good. But there are not many out there unless you dont mind buying a car with 100K miles on it. GL with your search.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:36 PM

I’ve seen them and they generally command a premium price vs the TSX non wagon. They are available in a v6 as well.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:54 PM

Had one, loved it, only downside was lack of AWD but that is not deal breaker for you. Tech package is well worth it for sound upgrade alone
Old 12-29-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I’ve seen them and they generally command a premium price vs the TSX non wagon. They are available in a v6 as well.
Don't believe they made it in a V6
Old 12-29-2019, 07:03 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by floxy1 View Post
Don't believe they made it in a V6
2012 model had it as an option

https://www.edmunds.com/acura/tsx-sp...n/2012/review/
Old 12-29-2019, 07:30 PM

No, I don't think they ever made the V6 wagon.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:03 PM

Funny, I saw one of these for the first time the other day. Never knew they existed.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
No, I don't think they ever made the V6 wagon.
I believe you are correct - my mistake, sedan had it.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I had always been intrigued by them, also.

This has come up in the various wagon threads a few times, seems like the usable storage space is pretty minimal, even compared to a hatch like a Golf/GTI or Fit. Disappointingly, you might not fit very big of a bike in the back.
and the wheel wells intruding into the cargo compartment makes it difficult to load a bicycle in, you have to thread it between the humps.

Much, much easier to get a bike into a Jetta or Golf wagon.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:00 PM

Also, buying a 5 year old car isn't a bad idea, but if you can buy a brand new VW golf sportwagon for $18k - I would go with the newer car. If you check cars.com - all the new ones are heavily discounted.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:12 AM

I got the equivalent here in europe (8th honda accord tourer 2.4 type s)
last year in november with 48k miles. My decision (coming from a diesel 3 series AWD BMW diesel wagon) was based (after long study...) on reliability.
Atmosferic engine, port injection. Also "enough" room to work if needed. the car has now 79k miles and had to change a rear wheel bearing and the right inner cv joint.
First, I find the car really comfortable. we only do long trips (up to 700 miles) and I do not get tired, just a little bored. Mine has electric steering, feels really solid at high speed (going to Germany often) but really agile on twisty roads at the same time. the car has little torque, so needs to be rev up if you want some action. Around 70 mph motorway driving I get 32 mpg, around 90 mph on the german autobahn 27 mpg. Mine is the Advanced Safety Edition and has all the gimmicks, adaptative cruise, lane assisstance, auto high low beam etc.
Car feels more stable than my ex AWD BMW, cant explain it. Consumes some oil, around 1 liter per 6k miles. I am learning about car mecanics with this car, service is crazy expensive here in Switzerland so I searched for a workshop manual online and I DIY as much as I can. Oil and filters change, rotate tires coolant flush, pcv valve, valve adjustement. Did the mentioned repairs myself too. Plenty of you tube videos on this car. Car came with a tire repair kit, but made room for a full size spare tire. oh, mine is a 6 speed MT. hope it helps.

Last edited by aingeru; 12-30-2019 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:37 AM

I had one for 8 years and just sold it for a Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve, the one with the 2.5 turbo. I really liked the Acura but rear storage was tight. Even with the front wheel off my bike it was like playing Tetris to get the bike to fit just right. So, I generally used a roof rack. The only issue I had was the driver's side window/door lock buttons got a bit sticky in the last year. It often took a couple of presses to get things to work. That and the rear hatch struts started to weaken and I had to manually push the lid open.

Not a lot of power but reasonably quick and great handling. Seats were comfortable and lots of little storage bins in front. While I really liked it the wagon just did not sell well in the US and Acura dropped it. It was only available with a 4 cylinder engine in the US. Funny though, the new CX-5 is even more fun to drive and its a crossover!

Tim
Old 12-30-2019, 06:44 AM

Not the wagon but my son drives the Coupe and he loves it. He's 20 though and bought it simply for the performance and ability to hot rod it up. Durable too and easy to work on if you do your own work.