Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Campy is keeping literally hundreds of bike racers from ever experiencing gravel racing.

Shame really.
fixed

Last edited by dancinkozmo; 12-27-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:51 AM

More Capital, More Places You Can Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon View Post
With gravel race circuit pretty much as popular as ever, and pros even abandoning the pro peloton tour in order to race gravel I simply cannot understand why Campagnolo remains so behind.
I get it they all race oriented, but guess what? The most captivating races happens to be gravel races these days. Pros DO race gravel and with many bikes Campy is simply not an option due to their limiting gear range and the lack of a 1x or clutch RD.

I was a big die hard Campagnolo, spending extra to equip my frames with Campy but, as it is now, there is simply no product matching my requirement.

It would be so damn easy to introduce a rear derailleur with some clutch mechanism and those guys never listen to what the average use needs/wants.

And, by the way, Movistar just dropped Campy in favor of Sram...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shimano and to a lesser degree SRAM sell more product and therefore have the capital to spend.

They also own the OEM market which also makes it easier for them to confidently enter niches. You'll invest more freely when you know for sure what you're making is going to be spec'ed on X number of bikes as soon as you make it.

As far as the pros and the tour go, Froome and Sky would have won their titles on a Meridas with Shimano 105. It's a marketing tool with a dope infested field. Enjoy it for the show but don't draw too many conclusions from it.

Last edited by Burnette; 12-27-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
As far as the pros and the tour go, Froome and Sky would have won their titles on a Meridas with Shimano 105. It's a marketing tool with a dope infested field. Enjoy it for the show but don't draw too many conclusions from it.
Big thumb's up...
Old 12-27-2019, 10:41 AM

Campagnolo Gotta Wake Up! Really upsetting

It puzzles me how many people saying 1x is marketing hype.
It’s really THE BEST thing happened to me riding gravel and all road. Where I ride I have often downhill followed by corners with super steep inclines and I couldn’t even imagine how hard it would be on a 2x.
With 1x you can go from small to big in a second.
It is really unbeatable for fast gravel riding.

Also with modern frame and the incessant quest of making short chainstays frames and wider tires clearance removing the FD interference is a necessity.

I think it ultimately depends on the terrain you ride on.
For my riding 1x and 55mm tire makes me the fastest I have been versus my 2x 38mm setup.

And it just sux so bad Campagnolo don’t cater for riders like me since I am sure I am not the only one in a similar situation

Old 12-27-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
See for me, my priority is never "being faster" on gravel/mtbs...it's serviceability, simplicity, functionality. Parts that work well, are hard to break, and easy to fix. Also traction, traction is important
My gravel bike is mostly 8000 Ultegra with an 11-32 and a 36/46 crankset. Other than new bb cups once a year, I don't think about it. My MTB is 1X and other than a weird chainline at the extremes, it has been flawless.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:48 AM

1x is just another way to simplify stuff for the dummies who can't set up FD correctly and complain about chain dropping.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
For my riding 1x and 55mm tire makes me the fastest I have been versus my 2x 38mm setup.
haha, i guess this proves your point exactly.

i would hate to ride any tire that wide, and definitely prefer 2x over 1x.

55mm tire? that's 2.2 inches! sounds like a mtb to me!

edit: obviously not saying your choices are wrong, but they would be dead wrong for me.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:05 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Lightbulb

Longtime and committed true Campagnolo fan here...so stating that part upfront.
My experience with the newest 12-speed is the engineering seems to reduce chain slap.
Not that I can offer demonstrable scientific proof, yet drivetrain remains extremely quiet.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:14 AM

Let's not forget history either. Last time Campagnolo went in whole hog on the latest trend it damn near sunk the company, course that time it was mountain bikes.

Their road mechanical stuff is top of the class and they're dipping their toe in with Chorus as a gravel-adjacent group. Seems good enough for me.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
1x is just another way to simplify stuff for the dummies who can't set up FD correctly and complain about chain dropping.

Missing the point again.
Chain dropping is just a by product of 1x with clutch. What 1x does is allowing people who take their bike to a variety of terrains to ride in a very intuitive and easy way.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
haha, i guess this proves your point exactly.

i would hate to ride any tire that wide, and definitely prefer 2x over 1x.

55mm tire? that's 2.2 inches! sounds like a mtb to me!

edit: obviously not saying your choices are wrong, but they would be dead wrong for me.

Yeah I agree with you. It’s really a very subjective choice and ultimately depends where you ride. I ride east coast US on a variety of road and light gravel and a 2x setup works perfect.
But then when in Europe and go for adventure / bikepacking then 1x makes much more sense for the terrain I am riding.

I don’t agree with everything Vroomen says, but I respect a lot what he did in terms of design of modern all road frame.
And his last iteration allows for 1x only. Ballsy move but functionally it was needed to produce a 420mm chainstay with that huge tire clearance

Old 12-27-2019, 11:24 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
"...Let's not forget history either. Last time Campagnolo went in whole hog on the latest trend it damn near sunk the company, course that time it was mountain bikes..."
I recall that time period and trying to remember the name of their ill-fated mountainbike gruppo.
Campagnolo management undoubtedly contemplates those decisions when considering new paths.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
It puzzles me how many people saying 1x is marketing hype.
It’s really THE BEST thing happened to me riding gravel and all road. Where I ride I have often downhill followed by corners with super steep inclines and I couldn’t even imagine how hard it would be on a 2x.
With 1x you can go from small to big in a second.

It is really unbeatable for fast gravel riding.

Huh? I don't get it. Isn't making a large jump the whole advantage of a FD?

Don't get me wrong, I've got 1x on my mountain bike, where I don't really care to have minor increments to my shifting. Makes a lot of sense from a frame design point of view. But, I don't see the advantage on gravel - maybe when you're getting up to 50s, I guess...

And it would absolutely be nice if Campy had a clutch derailleur, but I get the sense that Campy makes plenty of money and are happy being the campy they are. No need for any of this business on a proper road bike.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
They also own the OEM market which also makes it easier for them to confidently enter niches. You'll invest more freely when you know for sure what you're making is going to be spec'ed on X number of bikes as soon as you make it.
This is the root cause, everything else is a result of Campagnolo's lack of OE market share.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 12-27-2019, 11:27 AM

Maybe there are much better riders then me but sometime you see climbs out of nowhere where switching FD is not a possibility. With a capable 1x you can still change cogs and get out of trouble