Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2020, 01:33 PM

I have no problem with the Austin weather, but I could not live there because of the traffic, which is only going to get worse.

I spent a fun weekend in Austin a week ago - car related. Friday taking a driving course at a track. Saturday 9 hour drive in the Hill Country, including Twisted Sisters. Sunday skid pad class in the morning followed by Lime Creek Rd in both directions on the way home.

Jeff
Old 01-11-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
... followed by Lime Creek Rd in both directions on the way home.

Jeff
And THAT's why I refuse to ride my bike on that road! Here's a view from my car. EARLY Sunday Mornings are the best.

Texbike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7595.jpg (109.1 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by texbike; 01-11-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:27 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
I have no problem with the Austin weather, but I could not live there because of the traffic, which is only going to get worse.

I spent a fun weekend in Austin a week ago - car related. Friday taking a driving course at a track. Saturday 9 hour drive in the Hill Country, including Twisted Sisters. Sunday skid pad class in the morning followed by Lime Creek Rd in both directions on the way home.

Jeff
The traffic is insane, as it seems to be all up and down central TX, but I no longer drive and like it that way, so nbd for me at this point.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:18 PM

The thing about San Marcos is rural adventure abounds dead west and you are halfway between both San Antonio and Austin so you can experience two very diverse cultures. A major University is local so you always have access to all that a community based an influx of young people and a highly educated older population affords.

While not an industry expert I believe that bedroom community appreciation still has a way to go in the greater Austin market and the price should not be shocking to someone from the PNW.

That said Austin proper is indeed full. If you need to commute any distance and can not use our limited mass transit it can be life impacting although, if you are from Seattle, you understand the challenges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Dead pal, you are correct in choosing Austin based on your criteria. Let me offer you some local area expertise.

1) traffic is not getting bad, it's BAD already, it doesn't need getting there.

If you don't need to drive to work every day, then it's a non-issue.

If you can use the train to get to work, then it's a non-issue.

2) Expensive housing

Austin is pretty much full.

Overflow to neighboring bedroom communities that are within 15-25 miles radius like cedar park, manor, round rock, to name a few, for more affordable housing options ($250-300k decent size house) but the problem is...point #1 - traffic.

Other than that, you are pretty much spot on.

I live in Leander, TX.

I think it's better than San Marcos but I am biased.

Contact me.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
And THAT's why I refuse to ride my bike on that road! Here's a view from my car. EARLY Sunday Mornings are the best.

Texbike
I was surprised to see a few bicycles on both Twisted Sisters and Lime Creek Rd.

Jeff
Old 01-11-2020, 08:25 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
The thing about San Marcos is rural adventure abounds dead west and you are halfway between both San Antonio and Austin so you can experience two very diverse cultures. A major University is local so you always have access to all that a community based an influx of young people and a highly educated older population affords.

While not an industry expert I believe that bedroom community appreciation still has a way to go in the greater Austin market and the price should not be shocking to someone from the PNW.

That said Austin proper is indeed full. If you need to commute any distance and can not use our limited mass transit it can be life impacting although, if you are from Seattle, you understand the challenges.
partying in san marcos tonight.. cheap food and drinks, plenty of .. youthful, attractive ladies .. im comfortable atm
Old 01-11-2020, 08:35 PM

God bless Texas State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
partying in san marcos tonight.. cheap food and drinks, plenty of .. youthful, attractive ladies .. im comfortable atm