Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Dead pal, you are correct in choosing Austin based on your criteria. Let me offer you some local area expertise.

1) traffic is not getting bad, it's BAD already, it doesn't need getting there.

If you don't need to drive to work every day, then it's a non-issue.

If you can use the train to get to work, then it's a non-issue.

2) Expensive housing

Austin is pretty much full.

Overflow to neighboring bedroom communities that are within 15-25 miles radius like cedar park, manor, round rock, to name a few, for more affordable housing options ($250-300k decent size house) but the problem is...point #1 - traffic.

Other than that, you are pretty much spot on.

I live in Leander, TX.

I think it's better than San Marcos but I am biased.

Contact me.
Agreed, on all points. Austin is full, burp...

Unless you're comfortable with riding in traffic to get to riding with less traffic, you need to not live in Austin.

San Marcos, eh, it's mainly the frontage road of I35 and everyone rides to Austin for nightlife.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
Gents... I can't do this anymore.

I'm done with cold rain. DONE.

~As warm as possible
~Enlightened, forward-thinking culture
~Good riding with countryside access, some hills would be nice, decently wide roads/shoulders, cars that care..? Hoping to go basically car-free once settled, so I'll be riding a lot
~Sailing - Preferably within an hour or two of either Atlantic or Gulf coasts, but I'd settle for big lakes and/or fat rivers
~Prefer smaller towns (100k ish) over big cities, and here's where you guys really come in - I can google "liberal towns in the south" all day long, but that mostly produces the bigger cities I already kinda know about..
New Bern/Oriental NC.

Send Smiley a pm. He is into sailing and checked those small towns out.

Raleigh, NC is roughly 2 hours from New Bern and Wilmington and the cycling scene is very active. The majority of motorists are friendly towards cyclists and cyclists may use full lane.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:16 AM

Boulder.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 11-27-2019, 09:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Boulder.
Maybe not.
Quote:
~As warm as possible
~Enlightened, forward-thinking culture
~Good riding with countryside access, some hills would be nice, decently wide roads/shoulders, cars that care..? Hoping to go basically car-free once settled, so I'll be riding a lot
~Sailing - Preferably within an hour or two of either Atlantic or Gulf coasts, but I'd settle for big lakes and/or fat rivers
~Prefer smaller towns (100k ish) over big cities, and here's where you guys really come in - I can google "liberal towns in the south" all day long, but that mostly produces the bigger cities I already kinda know about..

Cost of living and employment markets are irrelevant. I have pretty much no material standard for living, and I can work from pretty much anywhere.

Lastly, while I know parts o SoCal tick every box..... yea.. meh. I don't want to live anywhere west of Texas.
-2 feet of snow yesterday..temp about 10 degrees F right now
-not much sailing, particularly now..ice sailing?
-EXPENSIVE-median house >$1MILLION
-west of Texas..yo

I think something in Georgia, NC, SC, VA.....maybe Florida(altho the riding there, P-Cola and Tampa was downright scary).

Virginia Beach was nice..I was there as recently as 34 years ago...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-27-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Another thought on San Diego.
Don't underestimate the impact of where you grew up.
I lived in San Diego for 2 years and really missed the change of seasons.
One of the reasons I moved back to Chicago.
This is a great example of "different strokes" because I spent my first 22 years in Chicagoland and NEVER seriously considered moving back there.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:15 AM

Saw a few people post Asheville...I lived in Asheville and loved it but the job market sucks (which is irrelevant in your case as you posted). It rains a ton in the spring and with the elevation you still get all kinds of weather. Great all around riding (as long as you like to go up) and a really fun city to live in though. Good nightlife, progressive thinkers, reasonable cost of living overall. Extremely scenic and outdoors oriented. Not much water anywhere remotely close for sailing though. It’s becoming a huge tourist town, I didn’t mind it but you really have to mindful of when you plan to ride in the warmer months because the tourists don’t know how to drive on the tight, winding mountain roads...

I’d really recommend Greenville SC (about an hour south of Asheville). Smaller than some of the other cities but still a decent sized metro area (bigger than Asheville). You are at the foothills but still below most of the winter weather (you can be in Highlands or Brevard in the 'real' mountains in 45 min-hr). You have hills/flats anything you want to ride and good road conditions. The cycling community there is great, more full time dwellers and less touristy than Asheville. A bigger road community in Greenville than MTB (Asheville is a mixed bag, more of an mtb destination but good road scene as well). Lots of awareness for cyclists. Downtown is really nice, lots to do, big arts scene, good food. You can live downtown very reasonably and get around by bike. By far the most progressive city in SC politically and socially. Lake Keowee and Lake Hartwell are an easy drive and the ocean is only 3-4 hours as well. Easy access to Atlanta, Charlotte, Charleston as well for what it’s worth.

If I moved back down south I’d pick Greenville...

Last edited by MrCannonCam; 11-27-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:27 AM

Washington DC. It's officially a southern town. I'm thinking you might really like Takoma Park, MD in particular.

Progressive thinking population
Gravel roads and MTB trails under 1.5 hours away by car.
Chesapeake Bay is 45 minutes away.
Plenty of bike lanes, bike trails (rails to trails), great parks and lots of cyclists.
Mountain ranges within 2 hours drive.
Plenty of great local road riding out of your front door.
Large cycling community

Great diversity of people.

Come visit.

Last edited by EricChanning; 11-27-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricChanning View Post
Washington DC. It's officially a southern town

Progressive thinking population
Gravel roads and MTB trails under 1.5 hours away by car.
Chesapeake Bay is 45 minutes away.
Plenty of bike lanes, bike trails (rails to trails), great parks and lots of cyclists.
Mountain ranges within 2 hours drive.
Plenty of great local road riding out of your front door.
Large cycling community

Great diversity of people.

Come visit.
There's a punchline there somewhere... Not the 'population' per se but the temporary residents..some of them...
Old 11-27-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
There's a punchline there somewhere... Not the 'population' per se but the temporary residents..some of them...
...not to mention the traffic....I really like DC but the traffic is on another level, even from our NYC metro traffic...
Old 11-27-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCannonCam View Post
...not to mention the traffic....I really like DC but the traffic is on another level, even from our NYC metro traffic...
If you don't have to drive to work everyday and get around mostly by bike, traffic is mostly a non-issue.

There's a great network of roads for cycling. Since, most car traffic occurs on the major arteries, you end up with plenty of riding options in the burbs. Rolling roads everywhere!
Old 11-27-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Figured I would serve up a softball with the first statement!

Speaking of ball sports. A few temporary residents found out just how unpopular they are among our population during their visit to one of our world series games. I'll say no more on that.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:14 AM

Listening in out of curiosity as I am Canadian and honestly haven’t seen much of the US (regrettably, as I would love to eBauvann it with my family for a year !)

Living in the PNW like you, I feel your pain in the relentless weather. That said, in Canada, we are living in the best climate possible, so count yourself lucky to have so many warmer options. I guess that’s why there are Canadian snowbird communities all over the Southern USA.

Do you have kids/spouse to consider? With little kids, that drives where I would want to live. Too small and there’s nothing to do, so kids get up to no good( too big and they get into big city problems !
Old 11-27-2019, 11:40 AM

Dude, take some extra Vitamin D and stay put. I grew up in Tennessee, lived in NC for a number of years and Tallahassee for awhile as well. I also lived in the PNW for a few years before moving to the Boston area.

The PNW is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than anywhere down South.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Maybe not.

-2 feet of snow yesterday..temp about 10 degrees F right now
-not much sailing, particularly now..ice sailing?
-EXPENSIVE-median house >$1MILLION
-west of Texas..yo

I think something in Georgia, NC, SC, VA.....maybe Florida(altho the riding there, P-Cola and Tampa was downright scary).

Nice town. Small town feel, quite spread out. No climbing to be had. Not sure I'd ride the roads there.

Okay, I'll try again.

Costa del Sol.

That's east of Texas, as is Boulder (if you draw the line with the right Sharpie!)

Austin is north and east of Texas, too, until you get out of the city limits.

Or Harwichport, on Cape Cod. Plenty of sailing, lots of good riding, some rolling hills, only a couple of hours away from colder mainland New England.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 11-27-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:56 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:
VB is a mixed bag. Great place to raise the kids. Lots to do. It is getting pretty full. Traffic is stupid here. Weather is stupider. Cannot wait to leave once the youngest is in college.