Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2019, 07:21 AM

We bought a 2011 CPO two years ago--it has been a decent car. The 2.5l, although it sounds small is a very willing motor, and it certainly does not feel underpowered.

Ours does not have the Tech package--and this will make a big difference on the price, even used. Seats are decent (not as good as Volvo), handling is decent (electronic steering, so not direct like old Passat wagon), ride is OK. It is less 'luxo' than the sticker/description would suggest--I think because it started out as a Euro Accord--so not vault quiet like a Merc...

Worst thing--lets just say that the dealership did not do what corporate requires for dealer prep on a CPO. It was sold with bent wheels, snow tires (not mentioned to us), bad alignment, a dead battery and back brakes that were not set up correctly (sticking caliper). We got the battery and wheels deal with immediately, drove the snow tires (without realizing that was what they were) for a year and half.
With new tires, a proper four wheel alignment and the rear brakes replaced by me by me it handles/tracks better and is much quieter.

I have not tried to load a bike in the back--but whoever said that the wheel wells intrude is correct--it does seem less spacious than the B5.5 Passat.

Despite the problems, it is a good car.

Last edited by paredown; 12-30-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:22 PM

We had a TSX wagon as our family wagon for about a year. I liked it and wanted to modify it with a manual swap and turbo.. which never came together. We actually found the Honda Fit serves us better. Anyway the K24 engine is legendary with huge aftermarket support and almost unlimited potential. One drawback is 87 octane isn't officially allowed.

My favorite way to carry a bike was in the roof box. Inside is OK if there aren't rear passengers. The handling was a little tank-like at 3600lbs+ and the shift paddles are a little cheesy, but it is a highway champ. I met a Giant rep who has 200,000 miles on his and counting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7648.jpg (147.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg tsx_bmc_team.jpg (107.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8252.jpg (109.2 KB, 142 views)
Old 12-30-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pigeon View Post
We had a TSX wagon as our family wagon for about a year. I liked it and wanted to modify it with a manual swap and turbo.. which never came together. We actually found the Honda Fit serves us better. Anyway the K24 engine is legendary with huge aftermarket support and almost unlimited potential. One drawback is 87 octane isn't officially allowed.

My favorite way to carry a bike was in the roof box. Inside is OK if there aren't rear passengers. The handling was a little tank-like at 3600lbs+ and the shift paddles are a little cheesy, but it is a highway champ. I met a Giant rep who has 200,000 miles on his and counting.
Looking to sell it?
Old 12-30-2019, 08:18 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

In 2012, a while before before I sold it, I had my '97 Integra at the dealer for some work and the loaner they gave me for the day was a TSX "Sport Wagon." Of course the opinion I'm about to give is colored by the fact that I was both consciously and sub-consciously comparing the TSX to the Integra, but as I've posted on the forum before, I was totally underwhelmed by the TSX.

It was way under powered, and drove and handled like a tank. There's no way I would have considered buying one. I don't know how later years compared to the 2012, but if they're in the same ballpark and you have any real interest in "Sport" then I'd stay away from the TSX.

(Side comment: I loved my Integra and almost never have anything bad to say about Acuras, but that TSX stands out in my memory, and not in a good way.)
Old 12-31-2019, 06:26 AM

I have had a 2012 TSX wagon, tech edition, for almost 6 years, 80k miles, very happy with it. put the bike and 2 kayaks on the roof rack. No problems what so ever. Would buy another one if they still made it. Super reliable so far.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
In 2012, a while before before I sold it, I had my '97 Integra at the dealer for some work and the loaner they gave me for the day was a TSX "Sport Wagon." Of course the opinion I'm about to give is colored by the fact that I was both consciously and sub-consciously comparing the TSX to the Integra, but as I've posted on the forum before, I was totally underwhelmed by the TSX.

It was way under powered, and drove and handled like a tank. There's no way I would have considered buying one. I don't know how later years compared to the 2012, but if they're in the same ballpark and you have any real interest in "Sport" then I'd stay away from the TSX.

(Side comment: I loved my Integra and almost never have anything bad to say about Acuras, but that TSX stands out in my memory, and not in a good way.)
If a TSX "drove and handled like a tank" my guess is something was really wrong with it.

Tim
Old 12-31-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
If a TSX "drove and handled like a tank" my guess is something was really wrong with it.

Tim
Agreed. I have been mildly disappointed though in the handling--it is not a car that inspires one to drive it hard and/or pitch it into corners, although it does not complain when you do so.

But for my wife (who drives it the most)--this is not a problem. And it certainly is a decent highway car--and you can get 30+mpg if you drive with a light foot.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:34 PM

To the OP- I seriously looked at one about a year ago (?) and although I'm a Honda / Acura AND a wagon fan it just didn't have enough space to cross *my* $$ premium threshold. An 8th gen (2008-2012) Accord seems to have about as much function for me, with more options available at a significantly lower price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pigeon View Post
And for an off-topic question. I also kicked this out to the forum in the past but haven't made the jump yet: can you tell me what box fits what size bike for you?