Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 05:51 PM

Read this article

I spent 30+ years as an RN in teaching hospitals, most of that time in ICU settings. I suggest you read this article from today's NY Times. It paints a pretty grim picture of lung failure caused by coronavirus. Certainly, not everyone decompensates in the ways described in the article, but many people do.
It's so important that your loved ones know what level of care you want before you need it. Because once you're sick enough to require a ventilator, there's no opportunity for you to make your wishes known. I'm not sure how many people recover after requiring a ventilator, (IIRC, the mortality rate in China for those requiring ventilators exceeded 50%.) but even if a person recovers sufficiently to leave the ICU, the work required to return to "normal" is daunting to say the least.
These are difficult conversations, but we all owe to those who will have to make decisions on our behalf, a clear understanding of our wishes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/o...gtype=Homepage
Old 04-04-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
An interesting test - virus detection in waste water.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...irus-outbreak/
Those Dutchies are obsessed with poop.

Very creativity route for estimating infections.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:18 PM
50 bpm

Riding today solo, saw lots of pacelines in threes, fours and fives.

I don't like riding alone, but you do what you have to do.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

A couple of interesting articles to confuse things a bit.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00974-w

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavir...erts-nuts.html

I think this must be an airborne virus to spread so rapidly. But with the poopie study it seems it could have several routes. The one good thing is it doesn't seem to be spread in food !
Old 04-04-2020, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post

I ride solo these days also. I don't understand pacelines right now or worse, a group of runners next to each other really huffing and puffing.

I do ride virtually with a couple of friends via Trainer Road
Old 04-04-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I was out riding gravel and 4 suv's passed me. They were full of adults going on a group hike. I swear there are going to be more cases of COVID from out there in the woods than there will be from Walmart. Parking lots full, the most popular trails had a lot of foot traffic.
See the article Gasman posted just above..

I don't know what to believe, but if it is airborne, then masks and tripling the distance are really the only option.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
I spent 30+ years as an RN in teaching hospitals, most of that time in ICU settings. I suggest you read this article from today's NY Times. It paints a pretty grim picture of lung failure caused by coronavirus. Certainly, not everyone decompensates in the ways described in the article, but many people do.
It's so important that your loved ones know what level of care you want before you need it. Because once you're sick enough to require a ventilator, there's no opportunity for you to make your wishes known. I'm not sure how many people recover after requiring a ventilator, (IIRC, the mortality rate in China for those requiring ventilators exceeded 50%.) but even if a person recovers sufficiently to leave the ICU, the work required to return to "normal" is daunting to say the least.
These are difficult conversations, but we all owe to those who will have to make decisions on our behalf, a clear understanding of our wishes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/o...gtype=Homepage
Thx for posting that link. I'm a subscriber but I missed that one. Brutally honest opinion piece from an insider. Yes, advanced directives and living will are too often subjects that people put off until its too late. Even without a pandemic in effect, this is a conversation all need to have with their family before it becomes an issue.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:51 PM

The face mask thing is driving me nuts. Whether or not aerosol is issue at all (who knows?), most people clearly infest themselves by touching their eyes, nose, and mouth with dirty hands.
Now most of my patients wear masks, and guess what? They fiddle with them constantly, reuse them (which they shouldn't), and reach right over them to give their eyes a good rub.
And then consider the false sense of security folks get because they're (mis)using a face mask. Please.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post

Maybe it’s because we’re in NY state and the specter of New York City looms all too close, but people in CNY seem to be taking this seriously. On today’s solo ride, I only saw 7 other riders. Three were kids playing in a driveway. The others were two couples. That’s it, no group rides and no large groups of walkers/hikers to be seen. It helps that our county executive is pretty sharp. He ordered all county parks to limit attendance and is enforcing the order by closing parking lots and posting park rangers at park entrances. Even our evening dog walks have changed. No more walking with the neighbors for now.

Greg
Old 04-04-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
Unfortunately, many areas have a large number of homes/businesses with septic and no sewer system.
And many areas do have sewer systems. In fact most larger urban areas are on sewers. Looks like a great place to research. And while getting the ultimate answer might be the goal, we can only get there by studying the problem. The more we know, the more we can build on what we know.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:41 PM

Aaaannndddd...

The latest from these guys posted up yesterday.

https://nextstrain.org/
Old 04-04-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
A couple of interesting articles to confuse things a bit.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00974-w

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavir...erts-nuts.html

I think this must be an airborne virus to spread so rapidly. But with the poopie study it seems it could have several routes. The one good thing is it doesn't seem to be spread in food !
So in other words we are all screwed.... How can humans lock themselves in their house for a year before vaccine?
Old 04-04-2020, 08:55 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I don't know what to believe, but if it is airborne, then masks and tripling the distance are really the only option.
the group hike I saw was going to feature a lot of heavy breathing, nobody was particularly lightweight and all of the trails around here go up mountains. If anyone in the group was an asymptomatic carrier, it is going to be like the choir in Oregon.

I'm going to limit my riding out there to early mornings before the real dilettante outdoors types show up. Not that the dedicated people are any better about spreading disease, but there are a lot fewer of them.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
the group hike I saw was going to feature a lot of heavy breathing, nobody was particularly lightweight and all of the trails around here go up mountains. If anyone in the group was an asymptomatic carrier, it is going to be like the choir in Oregon.

I'm going to limit my riding out there to early mornings before the real dilettante outdoors types show up. Not that the dedicated people are any better about spreading disease, but there are a lot fewer of them.
* choir is Skagit County, WA...

But yes. Heavy breathing is not good. Makes me think thrice about using the stairwell in my high-rise.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
* choir is Skagit County, WA...

But yes. Heavy breathing is not good. Makes me think thrice about using the stairwell in my high-rise.

Thank you for using the word “thrice”. Such an undervalued word. You really pulled that off effortlessly. Next up : “ergo” and “ipso facto.”
Closed Thread