Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
A LOL instance when my wife wants to know what's so funny on the bicycle forum.
The truth has a sense of humor.....
Old 04-03-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Zoom also has cloud security issues that prohibit its use for DoD programs. The vulnerabilities are significant enough that Zoom is not approved for unclassified technical discussions. Keep that in mind next time you're sharing private information over Zoom...

Greg
Exactly. Security is non-existent, calls are recorded, the servers are in China. Confidential information should not be discussed via Zoom.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
Exactly. Security is non-existent, calls are recorded, the servers are in China. Confidential information should not be discussed via Zoom.
Users mis-using it and not using the security features in place are far more likely to be the issue than any of these. Zoom has been heavily used by many corporations for years.. and you can/could have Zoom in place and it would not stop you from being granted some levels of government security accreditation.

If you tweet/email your private keys out to the world the best security in the world is useless. AFAICT all the Zoom incidents we are hearing about in the press have been falling into this kind of scenario.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I am almost there! I swear - it is freaking HORRIBLE, almost infantile in it's approach.

I draft and negotiate agreements so it would kill me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2020, 09:04 AM
Formerly rchman

I was previously a power user in Ms Office and spearheaded our transition to G Suite several years ago. What's wrong with Google Sheets and Docs?

A lot of the kicking and screaming in our organization with new users converting to the Google products is just unfamiliarity with a new product and the features 95% of people need are there. Doing live Doc review with a group is tremendously helpful and auto versioning and instant saving means I haven't lost an edit or change since we moved over. I also have every document I make available from my phone anywhere in the world.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
I draft and negotiate agreements so it would kill me.

Haha! I'm usually writing highly-formatted technical/research documents, and it IS killing me. I (barely) managed to get then to furnish me with an older version of MS Office, but it doesn't play nice with the other children (formatting not always cross-compatible) and what really gets me is that the IT Eggheads around here just suck up the corporate Kool-Aid and praise it no end. If you ask them how to format something (that it can't do), the answer is either 'you can't do that', or some convoluted 3-4 step procedure that just makes your life more difficult in the long run. Yep - IMO, it's a real POS. I'm not alone at work, BTW - there is a small Resistance Group. HAR!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2020, 09:11 AM

Words can't describe how furious I am when I read stuff like this:

https://www.salon.com/2020/04/02/rep...d-coronavirus/

Quote:
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp just announced a shelter-in-place order after admitting that he did not know that asymptomatic people could spread the coronavirus, even though the country's top health officials warning about asymptomatic transmission since January.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Haha! I'm usually writing highly-formatted technical/research documents, and it IS killing me. I (barely) managed to get then to furnish me with an older version of MS Office, but it doesn't play nice with the other children (formatting not always cross-compatible) and what really gets me is that the IT Eggheads around here just suck up the corporate Kool-Aid and praise it no end. If you ask them how to format something (that it can't do), the answer is either 'you can't do that', or some convoluted 3-4 step procedure that just makes your life more difficult in the long run. Yep - IMO, it's a real POS. I'm not alone at work, BTW - there is a small Resistance Group. HAR!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Fortunately our legal group would revolt if someone proposed google docs and working for a large BioPharma company means legal has much influence.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Fortunately our legal group would revolt if someone proposed google docs and working for a large BioPharma company means legal has much influence.

I hear you. In my outfit (a large, multinational industrial minerals co.), it come from on-high, and it's part of the culture - the interminably effed up culture. HAR!
Old 04-03-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I can't believe there are still some governors who haven't ordered churches and other houses of worship to close. Among them is DeSantis of Florida, a state with a large elderly population.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/02/coro...pulations.html
I agree on the governor, but the ultimate responsibility is with the church and the church members. They should not need an order at this point to understand social distancing.

Jeff
Old 04-03-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Was eye-rolling at Amazon, not you.

As in.. "I'm sure Amazon is altruistically selling all ppe and disinfectant to the healthcare sector at cost and not directing sales to them simply because the margins are higher.." /s

I don't trust the company or its leader, that's all.
How can you not trust Amazon or Jeff Bezos?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5...-or-articulate

Quote:
Leaked notes from an internal meeting of Amazon leadership obtained by VICE News reveal company executives discussed a plan to smear fired warehouse employee Christian Smalls, calling him “not smart or articulate” as part of a PR strategy to make him “the face of the entire union/organizing movement.”

“He’s not smart, or articulate, and to the extent the press wants to focus on us versus him, we will be in a much stronger PR position than simply explaining for the umpteenth time how we’re trying to protect workers,” wrote Amazon General Counsel David Zapolsky in notes from the meeting forwarded widely in the company.

The discussion took place at a daily meeting, which included CEO Jeff Bezos, to update each other on the coronavirus situation...

Last edited by fiamme red; 04-03-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
I agree on the governor, but the ultimate responsibility is with the church and the church members. They should not need an order at this point to understand social distancing.
Common sense isn't common. Leaving large scale decisions to religions has proven to be a bad idea over millennia. Freedom of religion does not mean that religions can set public policy. It's part of the reason that we have a government with elected officials. One of the goals is to protect the many from the unwise actions of the few. Otherwise stated as 95% of the rules are for 5% of the people.

Greg
Old 04-03-2020, 09:42 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post

Jeff
I'm not sure I would leave the people who believe man lived with dinosaurs to be responsible.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:57 AM

I work for a Zoom competitor and let me tell you, it is un-real what security issues Zoom has... I wouldnt use it... but I might be biased.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:29 AM

As has been said, 99% of zoom bombing would go away if people did the most basic of all precautions, which is not to share the link publicly. After that, there are a range of other safeguards that will essentially eliminate the problem. This reminds me of a story told by the physicist Richard Feynman in his book. He had a reputation as being a great safe cracker. The first thing he always tried was to simply use the combination that the safe shipped from the factory with, and it often worked, and ironically, in particular with the fancier and more expensive safes.
Closed Thread