Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 11:16 AM

+1 on SP hub. I've got about 10,000 miles on a couple and both are going strong with no maintenance. I've used the Schmidt Edelux II and several iterations of the B&M headlights. All have been reliable except the Luxos U (what a disaster).

I'm currently running the Edelux II and B&M Ixon IQ-X. Although the literature says IQ-X produces more light, I can't notice it in practice, they are both excellent.

I've got both the Sinewave Reactor and Revolution and they've been fantastic. Many friends have had trouble with the charging options from B&M (e-werk).

I've heard good things about the Sinewave Beacon light/charger but I haven't seen one in person yet.

A lot of good info here: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/lightingsystems.php
Old 10-21-2020, 12:00 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
SP Dynamo hub with a B&M Luxos light and B&M tailight should do the trick. Good compromise on budget and quality and you get the USB charging.
This is what I have. It works. Flawlessly.

I got the hub from eBay for $100 and then built the wheel myself.
The Luxos light came from one of the pals here in the classifieds.

I have used it on bikepacking trips, gravel rides, etc. The charging is ok, I have used it to charge my garmin, my phone and camera using the USB port. It's not a dedicated charging device but it certainly extends the battery life and slows down the drain.

You can get more information here:
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.php

Do a keyword search on the page for LUXOS.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:31 PM

I’ve had SP, Schmidt and shimano.

I’d have to say of the 3 if budget is a concern I’d go for the SP hub. I’ve had one friend who’s SP failed but honestly for the price, you could buy another and replace and you’d still come out ahead compared to SON.

Both SPs I have are on rim brake bikes so can’t attest to the disc hub.
I have 2 SON hubs, one disc one rim brake. They’re both great

As far as lights I’ve had B&M, edelux ii and Sinewave beacon.

The beacon is insanely expensive but has some big perks. Being able to charge another device without extra connections is 1. The other is you can run the beacon off a battery pack so if you want to move the light to bike without a dynamo hub 1 day just bring a battery pack
Old 10-21-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
If ya need somebody to build ya a wheel..send me the hub and I can do it for you..

Will you ship to my APO?

I have a SON 28 I want laced but I’m not all that impressed with the local wheel builder.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:41 PM

All I can say is that once you try a Dynamo, you wont go back - theyre indispensable for commuting. I use an SP and a B+M IQ Cyo - nothing fancy, but perfectly functional.

Its life-changing!!!
Old 10-21-2020, 12:42 PM

I like the SON28 with Supernova lights.

Have this on two bikes.

One thing to keep in mind...bring a spare light with you if you are out in the dark...I like to bring my Niterider so if I need to repair a flat, etc., I have a light that doesn't require me to be moving and can be pointed in the direction I desire...

SPP
Old 10-21-2020, 12:50 PM

This has been awesome !! Many thanks for the insights and shared experiences. !
Old 10-21-2020, 01:00 PM

I've had a number of hubs over the years, (2) Shimano center locks, a Sram i-Light, and now an SP Rim brake hub on my Cielo.

Only had a couple of lights, but my B&M IQ Cyo has been a staple for more than a decade. It just works. I used to do midnight gravel rides with my friends in iowa, and I'd ride at the back and light the way if others lights died in the cold.

I look at having a dynamo to power a light much like having a frame pump instead of CO2, but SPPs recommendation of a second light if you have to do any work is super on point. I do need to pick up a dynamo taillight to ensure I don't need to think about that in the future.

I'm bummed I missed the Supernova head/tail combo that was for sale last week, but there will be other deals and options in the future I'm sure.

I would love to own a SON hub, but everything I've got is working and until I go thru axle fork, I don't have a real need.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:00 PM

Well timed thread as I want to tag onto it. I just got back today from an out and back overnight camp with my new B+M IQ-X and Shimano hub. My hubI think is the generation before the one shown in Post #4. Light worked fine but I didn’t do any riding in full dark.

One question on the hub. On smooth roads, I can feel the vibration of the dynamo all the way through the handlebar and can hear it at low to medium speeds. It’s kind of annoying on my hands. Would I get the same vibration on an SP or SON? Aesthetically I like the looks of those better anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1178388-7BD2-4D12-B658-FE82B34C8933.jpg (157.7 KB, 142 views)
Old 10-21-2020, 03:17 PM

NOt that I can notice on the SON. You can feel it when you pick the bike up and spin the wheel, but not through the bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Would I get the same vibration on an SP or SON? Aesthetically I like the looks of those better anyway.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:30 PM

I notice zero difference with my SON hub while riding. I have about 1000 km on it so far and I can't believe I never tried this before. I think all future wheels/bikes will be set up for dynamo use now.

Last edited by Toddykins; 10-21-2020 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Fixed distance
Old 10-21-2020, 04:22 PM

Thanks folks; I thought that might be the case.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:28 PM

I'll add that I've also had good luck with the SP hub, rim brakes. I'm running supernova lights, which I really like.

I have a b&m light on a cargo bike that I'm running with a shimano hub and I don't like the combo so much. The b&m light isn't bright enough IMO
Old 10-21-2020, 05:11 PM

I can feel my son 28 and widely hubs through the bars a little bit. Doesn’t bother me though
Old 10-21-2020, 05:34 PM

School me on Dyno Hub systems

Echoing a lot of what has been said here. My research into high performing and affordable but reliable hub, light, and charger yielded a SP hub, IQ-X light, and Revolution charger. I’m very happy with the performance of all of this.

I’m often complimented or scolded on how bright my front light is during the day. Good for the road. Maybe not good on the bike path.

I have submerged the light and hub to no effect.