Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 01:30 PM

Your opinions on a new crankset

Following my knee replacement I've put a set of 165s on my cx/rain/trainer bike, and now thinking of going from 170s to 165s on my Alliance allroad. Right now I love the aesthetics of my 5-arm Campy cranks, and I will likely still stay with oval changings (currently Rotor Q).

In my search while Campy has a 165 4-arm, I'm not seeing oval options. If I could find a set of Rotor 3Ds in 165s that would be a good choice for me aesthetically. I'm now looking at the new(er) Rotor Aldu or Vegast, which have direct mount Q-Rings, 4 bolt option as well as a 5-arm spider option.

Interested in your perspectives on aesthetics, quality and performance on the Rotor crank as well as other options you'd recommend to me.

My Alliance:

Rotor:

Last edited by teleguy57; 10-20-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:44 PM

Have a Rotor Aldhu crank. Super stiff, light and works well.

If you like the brutalist aesthetic, they're solid.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:45 PM

The old rotor 3d / 3d24 is a bit hard to come by in a 165, as I did the hunt myself. If you bike will take a 30mm spindle without needing to run a crappy bb bsa30 / 4130 the new rotor cranks are great and really good looking. If you want to run a 24mm spindle start hunting for a 3d or 3d24.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:00 PM

Absolute Black makes oval chainrngs for 145/112 Campagnolo 4 arm cranks.

Campagnolo made 165mm 5 arm cranks in the Centaur group, both standard (135mm) and compact (110/112mm). I know there are oval chainrings available for 135mm, not sure about 110/112mm. The Centaur cranks use PowerTorque spindles/BBs, and are still available NOS.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If you like the brutalist aesthetic, they're solid.
Yes, noodling how I feel about the look....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbellrun23 View Post
The old rotor 3d / 3d24 is a bit hard to come by in a 165, as I did the hunt myself. If you bike will take a 30mm spindle without needing to run a crappy bb bsa30 / 4130 the new rotor cranks are great and really good looking. If you want to run a 24mm spindle start hunting for a 3d or 3d24.
I have T47 so I can run 30, but would prefer to stay 24 as my rear hydro hoseruns through the bb. I did find some Vegasts in 24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Absolute Black makes oval chainrngs for 145/112 Campagnolo 4 arm cranks.

Campagnolo made 165mm 5 arm cranks in the Centaur group, both standard (135mm) and compact (110/112mm). I know there are oval chainrings available for 135mm, not sure about 110/112mm. The Centaur cranks use PowerTorque spindles/BBs, and are still available NOS.
I have Rotor Q rings in com 110/112 right now, although they're no longer produced. Didn't realize AB had the Campy 4-arm rings available now. Will investigate that. Edited: only 53/39 right now, need compact

I'm not aware of any way to run PT BB on a T47 shell....

Thanks, all, and keep the ideas coming.

Last edited by teleguy57; 10-20-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:37 PM

Another quick search found O.Symetric chainrings, available in 145/112mm Campagnol 4 arm (34t, 36t, 50t & 52t):

https://www.osymetric.com/en/6-osymetric-for-the-road

These were apparently used by Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:00 AM

Thanks, Mark. While I'm good with Rotor's design, I'm more skeptical about the Osymetric design -- and it's pretty pricey for an experiment.

And for the forum, still open to additional thoughts on brands/models that people would recommend.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:17 AM

Doesn't Praxis make 165's as well?

I thought campy came in that size as well.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Doesn't Praxis make 165's as well?

I thought campy came in that size as well.
Yes, Praxis does. I'm not finding options for oval rings for their newer 4-arm model. unfortunately, also not finding Rotor or Absolute Black oval rings for Campy 4-arm other than 53/39.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:36 PM

I love, love, love your Alliance. My first bike ever, as a kid, was a Schwinn Varsity in that same blue. Every time I see yours, I get a happy emotional flashback!

I ride oval rings too and have a good assortment of Rotor, Absolute Black. Recently, I've discovered and used the Stone brand, which are very nice, cost less, and available in a variety of sizes and mounts. Easily found on ebay, but they come from Asia, so shipping isn't the speediest.

For a ti bike, it'd be ultra cool to go with the Cane Creek eeWings, if you can stomach the price tag. On their site, I see they come in 165mm, as their "mountain" crankset, but I bet you could get someone to substitute the road sized spindle and get them to work. They use the SRAM 3 bolt mount so you could get a SRAM 3 bolt 110 spider, and whatever oval rings you prefer for those.

SRAM makes plenty of 165 (and 167.5) cranks. They have three ring mounting options and you can find rings to fit any of the three. For 110bcd, you can even bet Absolute Black rings in 48/32 config. Their new AXS cranks have an 8 bolt spider mount and I got the Stone 110bcd spider and mounted the 48/32 AB rings. Maybe someone has a direct mount 46/30 combo? Don't know.

Another option, which I've done too, is Cannondale Hollowgram cranks with a Cannondale spider or direct mount rings. A quick scan of ebay shows they make a 165 Si model. Lastly, there's a direct mount 110 spider POWER METER for AXS, from Quarq that bolts on too if you want to measure your recovery.

Sorry about that knee and best of luck getting back out there again!

EDIT: I'm building up a MOOTS RSL Disc with Campagnolo 12 hydro. I've chosen to go with a 175mm Hollowgram crankset with direct mount Cannondale 110/5 spider and 48-32 AB rings. Since they make the Si model in 165, this could work for your nice Alliance too. If money were no object, it'd be fun to try the eeWings.

Last edited by mistermo; 10-22-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:45 PM

There is a solution that meets all your criteria, but you'll have to dig deep into the used market. For a few years in the early 2010's Campagnolo made 165mm carbon 5 arm compact Ultra Torque cranks. These weren't labeled for a particular group, but I believe were roughly at the Chorus level. They can be seen in the 2014 groupset catalog:

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...gnolo_2014.pdf
Old 10-23-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
I love, love, love your Alliance. My first bike ever, as a kid, was a Schwinn Varsity in that same blue. Every time I see yours, I get a happy emotional flashback!

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm delighted it gives others joy too!

...I've discovered and used the Stone brand, which are very nice, cost less, and available in a variety of sizes and mounts. Easily found on ebay, but they come from Asia, so shipping isn't the speediest.

How do you find the regulation point on them -- similar to Rotor (which I like as it's adjustable) and AB? Also, I've seen the Snail brand on eBay. While not sure I want to be labeled like that I wonder about the quality....

...Sorry about that knee and best of luck getting back out there again!

Thanks. Recovery is going well so far

EDIT: I'm building up a MOOTS RSL Disc with Campagnolo 12 hydro. I've chosen to go with a 175mm Hollowgram crankset with direct mount Cannondale 110/5 spider and 48-32 AB rings. Since they make the Si model in 165, this could work for your nice Alliance too. If money were no object, it'd be fun to try the eeWings.
Sounds like a great build. Very happy with my Campag Chorus 11 hydro. The Cannondale looks like a good option; if you have a source let me know as I'm not seeing much out there. And eeWings, mmmmm. and ouch on the pricing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
There is a solution that meets all your criteria, but you'll have to dig deep into the used market. For a few years in the early 2010's Campagnolo made 165mm carbon 5 arm compact Ultra Torque cranks. These weren't labeled for a particular group, but I believe were roughly at the Chorus level. They can be seen in the 2014 groupset catalog:

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...gnolo_2014.pdf
Yes, I saw those in this thread. Hen's teeth, as they say.... but it would be a great find. If anyone knows of any I'm way eager to hear about them.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
The Cannondale looks like a good option; if you have a source let me know as I'm not seeing much out there.
ebay is all I have. They're $299.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:41 PM

Why shorten the cranks after a knee replacement? Did the leg length change or something that requires a fit change?
Old 10-23-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Why shorten the cranks after a knee replacement? Did the leg length change or something that requires a fit change?
There's some anec-data that it decreases knee stress because it increases natural cadence and/or it decreases knee stress because of the change in knee angle.

I'm venturing into this territory as well partially to see if it helps with a nagging knee injury, but also because my anatomy makes it very hard for me to gain knee clearance of my torso in the drops. Shortening the cranks from 172.5 to 165 in my case would probably let me rotate the pelvis forward a bit more and get 1cm or so lower in front.