Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybike View Post
This is good to know. What temperature range do you ride the velocio in, and how do you find the visiblity (I.e., is the red 'bright' or BRIGHT)? I think they only have yellow for 2020, and it isn't quite out yet.
It gets down to the upper 20's sometimes. But I assure you I rather ride in the upper 20F's than 40F in the freezing fog. The range would be upper 40's to upper 20F's. That feels much colder. The yellow is plenty bright. I have a dark green. The orange (red) is plenty bright not as bright as the yellow. They plan to release the new colors in a week.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
I tried one on at the local rapha store and liked the fit. It is only rated as water resistant so you may still get wet in big rain. I also question chest zips on a rain jacket I think under arm is better for rain protection. That said, the chest zips would be good for ventilation and actually make nice pockets for small items. I was thinking about it for light rain and cold night riding as there are plenty of reflective details on the jacket. It seems like it would be plenty warm down to freezing temps with the right jersey or base layer. The only had black (non starter for me) and brown in the store...no orange. The brown color is a curious color choice to me but looks much nicer in person.
Is it packable?
Old 10-20-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
Is it packable?
Nope.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Thermo regulation is super important to me. Temperatures where I ride can swing quite a bit and the difference being it near freezing fog and clear skies is unbelievable unless you experience it. Plus, a lot of my rides at 2000+ climbs and descents. So, not getting too hot going up and staying warm going down plus all the microclimates make thermoregulation so important. The Velocio soft-shell jacket offers a light pile. I can be over a jersey of simply as a heavy jersey. It thermo regulates very well. The high neck collar really traps in body heat when you need it and simply unzipping it a bit can cool you down a lot. The big zipper allows you to unzip and zip with one gloved hand. It is plenty wind resistant too.
Since I just moved from close to your part of the world (Rescue, east of Sacramento) I get the freezing fog and the need for thermo regulation on climbs. In my new riding environment --- Northern Wisconsin -- I have more need for an insulating jacket. There are not really "climbs" here, just lots of rollers and what seems like almost constant wind. My last ride was in 29 degree weather with a 5-10mph wind and overcast. I wore a 250 weight merino base layer and a stout winter jersey (the only one I have) with a Rapha wind vest on top and bibs with tights. Everything was warm except my feet, despite heavy wool socks and a Defeet wool overshoe. I am going to need warmer jacket for the next month or so and I will check out the one you mentioned when the new colors arrive. But, unless I can keep my feet warm, rides are going to be short.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Which CdC jackets do you like?
I have a Heidi and a Leonie. Both great.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:58 AM

So, the Rapha Winter Jacket is...
not waterproof (can I go out in it when it's already raining?)
not packable/ pocketable (I can't bring it along just in case it might rain)
Is it breathable enough, (why the two chest pockets if it is?) and why have cold air dumping on my chest in the winter if it isn't?
no two-way main zipper

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens...uct/SJK12XXEMP

Rapha doesn't do a very good job of answering the Q&A questions from potential buyers of this jacket, but the questions do sketch out what the perfect jacket might be like.

I like the 30 use and return policy. I may still give it a go.

Assos has a countdown clock ticking away on its website. I'll wait to see what that's all about before deciding on anything.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:06 AM

Rapha race capes are the best wet weather jackets in the biz. Race cut, waterproof and can fit in a jersey pocket.

You do need a slim build for them though.

I’ve been using one for 5 years now, have had 2 jackets over that time. Had to replace just due to weight loss.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Is it breathable enough, (why the two chest pockets if it is?) and why have cold air dumping on my chest in the winter if it isn't?
no two-way main zipper

Rapha doesn't do a very good job of answering the Q&A questions from potential buyers of this jacket, but the questions do sketch out what the perfect jacket might be like.

Assos has a countdown clock ticking away on its website. I'll wait to see what that's all about before deciding on anything.
The same could be said of any softshell - If you want something packable and fully waterproof then wear a shell (preferably gore shakedry) and layer underneath. Softshells are wrong for your use case.

That said, I am sure the water resistance on the new gore infinium does fine even in a deluge.

FWIW - I have owned numerous rapha jackets and several assos and I would take the former any day. I know there are assos partisans but I find their designs overly technical to the point where it actually detracts and the materials are not up to par with the latest gore/others (specifically shakedry is currently untouchable and I think others do a much better job with lightweight dwr treated fabrics such as the sportful fiandre light which is absolutely ace for riding in wet changeable conditions).
Old 10-21-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
Rapha race capes are the best wet weather jackets in the biz. Race cut, waterproof and can fit in a jersey pocket.

I’ve been using one for 5 years now, have had 2 jackets over that time. Had to replace just due to weight loss.
I’m looking at one of these as well. What does “slim build” mean in terms of sizing? I usually wear an “XL in Rapha jerseys (usually the brevet line) Should I size up with the race cape?
Old 10-21-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
The same could be said of any softshell - If you want something packable and fully waterproof then wear a shell (preferably gore shakedry) and layer underneath. Softshells are wrong for your use case.

That said, I am sure the water resistance on the new gore infinium does fine even in a deluge.

FWIW - I have owned numerous rapha jackets and several assos and I would take the former any day. I know there are assos partisans but I find their designs overly technical to the point where it actually detracts and the materials are not up to par with the latest gore/others (specifically shakedry is currently untouchable and I think others do a much better job with lightweight dwr treated fabrics such as the sportful fiandre light which is absolutely ace for riding in wet changeable conditions).
Yes, Assos shells disappoint. I would love to see what could happen using Shakedry. Have you seen this?;
https://www.assos.com/EQUIPE-RS-Clim...er=M&color=113
It seems pricey for a shell that's only water repellant.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I’m looking at one of these as well. What does “slim build” mean in terms of sizing? I usually wear an “XL in Rapha jerseys (usually the brevet line) Should I size up with the race cape?
Shakedry or bust - I own a race cape which i like for the snazzy green dataprint styling, but breathability isn’t in the same hemisphere as shakedry. Really, if you are buying a waterproof cycling shell right now its the only choice. My race cape is pretty consistent sizing wise with other proteam stuff.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Yes, Assos shells disappoint. I would love to see what could happen using Shakedry. Have you seen this?;
https://www.assos.com/EQUIPE-RS-Clim...er=M&color=113
It seems pricey for a shell that's only water repellant.
Hadn’t seen that one - I guess the reflectiveness is cool. But I continue to not get the point of this class of jackets/windjackets now that shakedry exists. You can have a packable, ultrabreathable, fully waterproof jacket that comes in at around 125 grams. Yes they are expensive and, I wish they were more widely available in brighter colors, but they work great.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
Shakedry or bust - I own a race cape which i like for the snazzy green dataprint styling, but breathability isn’t in the same hemisphere as shakedry. Really, if you are buying a waterproof cycling shell right now its the only choice. My race cape is pretty consistent sizing wise with other proteam stuff.
Yes, Shakedry or bust. I want the promised colourful Shakedry jackets to show up. Hopefully for this winter. I'm thinking that Covid may have disrupted the supply chain.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
no two-way main zipper

Maybe the latest Assos winter jacket is water-resistant, but in the past, they haven’t been. You need a rain shell if it’s raining or rain is predicted. For me, wind-block and breathability are more important than water-resistance in a winter jacket, since /i try to avoid riding in the rain in the winter. If it’s unavoidable for you, a dedicated and packable rain shell is still probably a better idea.

Winter jackets are not meant to be payable. The old 851, Bonka, Tiburu etc. aren’t packable, and I doubt that the new Assos jacket will be either.

The chest pockets/vents are a curious choice. I suppose they provide a means of regulating ventilation without having to simply unzip the main zipper.

Personally, I’ve found that Assos has gone downmarket in terms of design and materials since the generation of the Bonka, Tiburu, Habu, etc. I still regularly wear my 851 jackets—in the 40’s (for me) they still set the standard in terms of wind-block and breathability.

I’m not saying you should get the Rapha jacket, but I think some of your criticisms (not waterproof or packable) are not unique to Rapha.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:27 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post

I've had several race capes, older RCC version and the current one. I agree with the fit comment above, but disagree with the 'waterproof' characterization. Resistant? Yes. Proof? No, plus you need to refresh the proofing with some regularity to make sure you're protected (ask me how I know).

They do not breathe very well. After hard efforts you'll feel like you've been in a sauna.

P.S. No way will the new model referenced in the OP be on sale next month. If you can fit into something smaller than an XL maybe have a look at the Shadow jacket in the archive sale.