Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2020, 09:38 AM

I'd suggest that you consider getting something used, perhaps a Stigmata, and riding it hard for a few months to learn about its strengths and weaknesses. You'll then have a lot more information in hand—including whether you like riding gravel—and can decide if you want something high-end, custom, and also what material seems to makes the most sense to you. For my part, I decided that the Stigmata, which is an amazing bike, was just a bit longer and lower than I wanted; that I didn't particularly want a plastic bike for off-road use (not for any especially good reason beyond preference); and that I still prefer 2x setups. I sold the Stigmata for a slight loss that felt like a worthwhile investment and ended up with an off-the-shelf Moots Routt that's served me very well.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
I'd suggest that you consider getting something used, perhaps a Stigmata, and riding it hard for a few months to learn about its strengths and weaknesses. You'll then have a lot more information in hand—including whether you like riding gravel—and can decide if you want something high-end, custom, and also what material seems to makes the most sense to you. For my part, I decided that the Stigmata, which is an amazing bike, was just a bit longer and lower than I wanted; that I didn't particularly want a plastic bike for off-road use (not for any especially good reason beyond preference); and that I still prefer 2x setups. I sold the Stigmata for a slight loss that felt like a worthwhile investment and ended up with an off-the-shelf Moots Routt that's served me very well.

This is solid advice imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Absolutely.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post

Yeah, I'd second that. "Gravel" means so many different things to different people, going custom before you know what you really want feels like it could be a big gamble. If you try something off-the-shelf out, you can better discern what you're looking for if you go custom.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:38 AM

I should probably add that, having ridden the Routt for quite a while now, I'm having a custom bike built for me. It's the first time I've done that, and the new bike's geometry will be quite similar, with a couple of key changes, to the Routt's. All of which is to say, the learning process—not to mention my riding position and style—continues to evolve. (And no, since someone is going to ask, I haven't decided whether I'll sell the Routt once I've got my new bike. I'll figure that out when the time is right.)

Last edited by akelman; 10-15-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
My Air Land Sea XL. frame with Seven Matador fork and non weight weenie build based on his stock package weighs 22 lbs. Not light but only 2 pounds more than my Sachs steel road bike. Different story with the steel low trail fork though - that fork is a beast, a beauty, but a beast.
Huh that's really impressive. I ride a Ritchey Swiss Cross with Dura Ace 9120 and decent wheels and cockpit and with pedals and cages its 21 pounds. I cant believe an Air Land Sea is barely more. I loved loved loved the original artwork for it, and I'm glad to see that after the short run of those bikes sold that he's still making it, with custom paint, and with a Ti option. I'd love to see yours if it's on the forum anywhere or if you've got pictures.

I also really strongly feel that you probably should probably stay away from full custom or really high end ti for your first gravel bike. Once you get some time off road you'll be in a better position to think about going custom.

I think 4-6,000 is a great budget, that gets you most anything off the shelf steel or carbon, and probably mechanical or di2 ultegra/grx/force axs and some solid alloy wheels. I think for gravel gearing/shifting, wheels, and tire choice are all as important as the frame. And, going nicer on the groupset and wheels means that if the frame doesn't give you the position, fit, or handling that you prefer, you can move your parts to one that does.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:19 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. There are some great opinions and I appreciate all of them. It does seem to make a lot of sense to possibly buy used and figure out what would work best for me vs starting with a custom gravel. Ti as a frame material also seems to make a lot of sense even though there are happy riders with carbon and steel.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:57 AM

I was going to suggest used or maybe a budget "starter" as well. I went from Al cross based 2x with 700c to carbon adventure based 1x with 650b (can use 700 as well, but not all can). Couldn't be happier. happy trails (or roads, or paths)!
Old 10-15-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post

Besides the fact that you will be hard pressed to find a good deal on a used stigmata or similar and then you don’t get the frame warranty
Old 10-15-2020, 12:44 PM

Also fwiw the $5000 stigmata is 20lb without pedals, my conquest pro has a dog heavy group (Claris and tiagra mostly lol) and weighs 22.0 with pedals and has 42c tires so don’t discount a cross bike if you can slum it with mini v brakes which btw are fairly powerful.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Also fwiw the $5000 stigmata is 20lb without pedals, my conquest pro has a dog heavy group (Claris and tiagra mostly lol) and weighs 22.0 with pedals and has 42c tires so don’t discount a cross bike if you can slum it with mini v brakes which btw are fairly powerful.
Force AXS mullet with 2 inch tires is the last way I'd choose to build a bike where I cared about the weight. That build is just a drop bar rigid mountain bike. With easton carbon cranks, something like grx di2, and nice alloy wheels with gravel tires I'm sure you could drop about 3 pounds. Most of their builds a few years ago were several pounds lighter when it was marketed more as a cross bike.

If my budget ceiling is 10,000$ I wouldn't even think about mini v's tbh.

Good point about staying away from that bike used though. It's a terrible time to be buying a used bike (a great time to be selling one), and one of the biggest things about Santa Cruz carbon is the warranty.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:21 PM

Your budget allows you to buy an American made gravel bike such as Allied, Alchemy, Moots, Bingham and others. That's where I would go.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob heinatz View Post
Merlinmurphy,
All good questions. I live in Oregon and there are lots of gravel fire roads around where I live but there are also dirt and heavy forested routes near by. Tire clearance 38 - 40 minimum. I would love to stay in the $4k - $6k range if possible but be tempted to spend more for a pedigreed brand.
Where in Oregon are you? Gravel/dirt roads vary widely in this state.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:20 PM

If you want a good solid titanium gravel bike then don't discount Lynskey. Quick turn around, nice riding, made in the USA and cost effective with a lifetime warranty. You can always sell it for less of a loss then most other bikes in this category and you may like it so much that you just end up keeping it! Just sign up for there email list and take advantage of their 20% off discount.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
If you want a good solid titanium gravel bike then don't discount Lynskey. Quick turn around, nice riding, made in the USA and cost effective with a lifetime warranty. You can always sell it for less of a loss then most other bikes in this category and you may like it so much that you just end up keeping it! Just sign up for there email list and take advantage of their 20% off discount.
How much is a frame set from them?