Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
The bags and kit look nice too.

I really don't recall Campy ever, in my 40 years of riding Campy, being this organized and coordinated for a new product rollout. I'm really stunned and happy for them. I suspect it will sell well.

The partners page is impressive too. Getting in with the big American brands will bump their brand up significantly. The win in the Tour didn't hurt either.
I'm with you - longtime Campy user and this has to about the best introduction of a new gruppo that they've ever done.
And unlike the past, they realize they'll need strong partnerships to make this happen.

Looks like Campy has turned over a new leaf, or management has finally figured out how to be more competitive going forward.

Regardless, hat's off to them and hell, I don't even ride a gravel grinder but am impressed with this announcement.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
And they’ll mistakenly report it as a 2x system.
Triple.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:31 AM

Oh hell. Held on for years and finally bit the bullet on eTap and then.. they announce this. Well, guess I'll see how eTap feels. I'm also not sure about the 1x.

Man.. if I can't hang with the Sram hoods, it may force (heh) me back to Campy. Love those hoods.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:31 AM

I need an Alan scandium frame with Ekar, Shamal carbon wheels, USE stem/post, and Deda bars...

Edit:
Or maybe an Allied...
Old 09-24-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I need an Alan scandium frame with Ekar, Shamal carbon wheels, USE stem/post, and Deda bars...

Edit:
Or maybe an Allied...
I like where your head is at sir!
Old 09-24-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post

Edit:
Or maybe an Allied...
Did you say.... Alan!

But back to the topic at hand. CT recently stated in a podcast that this groupset was make or break for Campy, and that if it wasn't a hit then the company's future was uncertain. Based on what Velocipede has posted so far it looks like they spent their financial, creative and intellectual capital smartly.

Love the graphics, and the gearing is incredibly well thought out. The 10-42 (SRAM) or 11-46 (Shimano) range was always perfect for gravel applications, but the jumps in the middle were too jarring for everyday riding. The addition of two cogs should help a ton.

Wonder if the larger pulley wheels are there to offset some of the additional drag from the 9 and 10t cogs. Can't wait to see the bikes this gruppo is spec'd on.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:52 AM

looks pretty cool.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
I like where your head is at sir!

I am trying to decide if I did the right thing by doubling down on my 2x12 rim brake bike.I don’t need the build above and it would have cost a fair bit more, but it sure would be cool
Old 09-24-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Did you say.... Alan!

But back to the topic at hand. CT recently stated in a podcast that this groupset was make or break for Campy, and that if it wasn't a hit then the company's future was uncertain. Based on what Velocipede has posted so far it looks like they spent their financial, creative and intellectual capital smartly.

Love the graphics, and the gearing is incredibly well thought out. The 10-42 (SRAM) or 11-46 (Shimano) range was always perfect for gravel applications, but the jumps in the middle were too jarring for everyday riding. The addition of two cogs should help a ton.

Wonder if the larger pulley wheels are there to offset some of the additional drag from the 9 and 10t cogs. Can't wait to see the bikes this gruppo is spec'd on.
3T Exploro RaceMax, Pinarello Grevil, Ridley Kanzo Fast, Specialized Diverge, Titici F-GR02, and Wilier Triestina Jena

Some pics here:

https://bikerumor.com/2020/09/24/whe...cialized-more/
Old 09-24-2020, 10:00 AM

https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Cam...spirit_of_ekar
Old 09-24-2020, 10:15 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Did you say.... Alan!

Oddly, a guy in the UK who REEEEEEALLY hates Campy made a similar comment a few months ago. Even saying that Campy would be sold to SRAM.

First thing first... Campy is not going anywhere. They might not have a massive market share. But they own multiple manufacturing facilities in Italy and other countries including Germany and Romania. They are a BIG company.

Second, they have A LOT of money. The Campagnolo family, Campy and the bike division is tiny compared to what they own. They own so much real estate that if they sold the bike division, they could live happily for a 100+ years. They are doing just fine.

Third... LOOK AT THAT GROUP!!! It's beautiful. They crushed it. From the leaks to the extra time they had to the accessories they are offering. It's the total package. Compared to what Shimano and SRAM have in the way of 1x, Campy has it all. Yeah, SRAM has Zipp and Shimano PRO. Great. But Campy has the durability, the repairability, the looks, the options in the EKAR kit.

Anyways. My 2 cents but I think I'm right on the last one. First two, I know those for facts.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:19 AM
Vendor

A Bixxis Fronda with the new EKAR and Shamal Carbons. A 99% Italian build. Deda/PMP cockpit with Bikeribbon/Bixxis bar tape and Selle San Marco saddle. Even Pirelli tires to complete the Italian theme. The King headset kills the 100% mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 11.04.56 AM.jpg (75.1 KB, 354 views)
Old 09-24-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
A Bixxis Fronda with the new EKAR and Shamal Carbons. A 99% Italian build. Deda/PMP cockpit with Bikeribbon/Bixxis bar tape and Selle San Marco saddle. Even Pirelli tires to complete the Italian theme. The King headset kills the 100% mark.
Yummy.

Routt YBB, Lauf, Ekar, and some nice wheels and rubber please.

Last edited by jpw; 09-24-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:51 AM

Everyone's talking about how well priced this is and I still can't believe a mid range group is $2k.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:59 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
Everyone's talking about how well priced this is and I still can't believe a mid range group is $2k.
Carbon fiber, machined 1-piece steel cassettes and technology/design costs money. If you think about the $2k price, hell, it's barely mid-range. It's almost on the bottom of the mid-range. With SR12/EPS, DA Di2 and SRAM Red AXS, that really pushes the range limits down.