Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2020, 07:13 PM
Administrator

wow, that's crazy and great, congratulations. the mental aspect must have been a large challenge also, but i suppose having your wife in on the challenge gave added incentive not to throw in the towel.

it's all perspective also. around here, with covid, we have three kids, two of which are quite young and "virtual" learning and a toddler running around throwing matchbox cars at laptops. i'm working up in the office and it's literally got my wife's hands full between the kids, the school stuff and her own work.

i think all of us are living in different, evolving, challenging times: thanks for sharing a different type of "work from home" challenge gibbo!
Old 09-15-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

it's all perspective also. around here, with covid, we have three kids, two of which are quite young and "virtual" learning and a toddler running around throwing matchbox cars at laptops. i'm working up in the office and it's literally got my wife's hands full between the kids, the school stuff and her own work.

i think all of us are living in different, evolving, challenging times: thanks for sharing a different type of "work from home" challenge gibbo!

We are all at different stages of life and facing different challenges these days. My wife and I are both north of 50 years old, our child is in another state at University and with travel restrictions it is hard to get together anymore, but we still try. I really feel for younger families trying to juggle work, kids, and trying to stay safe/healthy at the same time. We are personally really fortunate to have a LOT of free time. :-)

I worry we are in for more turmoil before things start to get back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2020, 10:15 PM

Awesome, I've always wanted to do this. Now that I'm in the pacific NW I think I could start early and maybe do it on some long climb like Hurricane Ridge. Up and back down, over and over.

I'm not sure I understand how this works on a trainer. Do you put the front higher? Do you also do the downhill? It seems like it would be the same as just going flat on a trainer, maybe more torque required because Zwift makes it more difficult "going up hills?"
Old 09-16-2020, 04:30 AM

I am curious about the descent. How did it work? Pedal a few strokes to get going down, hop off the bike and let zwift think you are coasting while you're off the bike?

That amount of time, regardless of grade on a trainer is crazy to me. I can't even do an hour.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple View Post
Awesome, I've always wanted to do this. Now that I'm in the pacific NW I think I could start early and maybe do it on some long climb like Hurricane Ridge. Up and back down, over and over.

I'm not sure I understand how this works on a trainer. Do you put the front higher? Do you also do the downhill? It seems like it would be the same as just going flat on a trainer, maybe more torque required because Zwift makes it more difficult "going up hills?"

Zwift definitely makes it harder going up hills. It is quite similar to real life climbing when your smart trainer is set to 100% difficulty.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I am curious about the descent. How did it work? Pedal a few strokes to get going down, hop off the bike and let zwift think you are coasting while you're off the bike?

That amount of time, regardless of grade on a trainer is crazy to me. I can't even do an hour.

Yes, once the descent is over 3% the bike will free wheel on its own.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:24 AM

first and foremost, congrats on completing that truly grueling goal, to you and your better half! one question, what is your weight? couldn't help notice your ave. watts were below 160. even w/the downhill that sounds crazy low. what was your ave wattage on the uphill sections? sounds like the key was to manage that uphill effort! again, well done. I'm sure you'll look back on this w/very fond memories one day!
Old 09-16-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laupsi View Post
first and foremost, congrats on completing that truly grueling goal, to you and your better half! one question, what is your weight? couldn't help notice your ave. watts were below 160. even w/the downhill that sounds crazy low. what was your ave wattage on the uphill sections? sounds like the key was to manage that uphill effort! again, well done. I'm sure you'll look back on this w/very fond memories one day!

165 lbs, towards the end my legs were cooked and 170 -180 watts hurt. My HR was low (125ish) but the legs were blown. If I was going up once I would hold around 240-260 watts. My FTP is 257w.