Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconstyle View Post
Did you ever get the finished product?
Thanks for the reminder to post about it!

The part did arrive quickly from Shapeways:

^^this is 12g lighter than the stock mount

In the end, I'm quite happy with it. I've since realized ways to slim the design and drop the weight (the long M4 screw is a bit heavy-handed for the purpose), and I would integrate the locking mechanism in my next iteration.

By the way, I would also like to share the step-by-step of how I built the model using Solidworks. To build objects in SW, a parametric solid modeling program, you form the object by adding or subtracting solids as opposed to creating a "shell" of the object as you would in surface modeling.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:51 AM

How can one get their hands on RBI’s mount. I like the design, and I love my Variation!
Old 09-15-2020, 07:55 AM

Hey this is awesome! I may try to teach myself these modeling and printing skills, I did a lot of AutoCAD and Pro/E 10-15 years ago.

My project would be getting a decent way to mount GoPro style mounts (with 2/3 tabs) to threaded M5 holes on my front rack. My USB lights have a nice GoPro mount but there's just no good way of bolting that to a threaded hole. I don't like the Problem Solvers style mounts that just give a handlebar style cross section.

Great work!
Old 09-15-2020, 10:30 AM

I want one of these, can someone 3d one for me?

Also trying to mount one on a bike rack with std reflector holes.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
If anyone has a Pro Stealth saddle...I bought this and am very pleased with it. I had them design one a bitter longer so it fits behind my saddle back. Works perfectly!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QS...onId=165478918

I think I’ll try this out. I’ve got two of these saddles and wanted to use the under saddle mount but figured it would only work if I ditched the saddle bag. Great solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram
Old 09-16-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
I want one of these, can someone 3d one for me?

Also trying to mount one on a bike rack with std reflector holes.
There's a guy on the weightweenies forum that designs any mount you want as a shapeways piece. He originally did the shimano pro varia mount upthread at my request. Thread is here: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...05409#p1605409
His username is WheresWaldo
Old 05-24-2021, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmendoza87 View Post
Total price (after Black color surcharge and service fees) comes out to about $19/pc.

It should be in next week. I'll report how it works and most importantly how much better it looks!
Hi, mmendoza87! Do you know if your mount works with a TeamMachine SLR 01 seat post? It's similarly D-shaped as with your RoadMachine.

Also, is your mount available for others to purchase? I have a TeamMachine ALR from 2020. I'm also too new to send PMs, so sorry if this is an inappropriate question!
Old 05-24-2021, 06:52 AM

The guy that designed the pro stealth mount (at my request originally, the short one) is on weightweeinies. His username is where's waldo, and there's a thread in the cycle chat section. He'll custom design any type of garmin or wahoo mount and put it on shapeways. Does it as a hobby/service, and doesn't charge for design time. His username on shapeways is "the revolutionaries" and he has a wide range of stuff already up.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:17 AM

Looks great. Wish I saw this post before I went in another direction! Excellent work.

I was like you and didn't like the factory garmin setup. I picked up a couple of mounts off ebay. Still waiting to get them in the see if they are actually even worth it. Much lighter and easy on/off to transfer to other bikes. But your is a much cleaner solution and solid mounting. I have a feeling the rubber strap on these will be a little flimsy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284222519706?var=585710636590

Last edited by CAAD; 05-24-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_11 View Post
Nice work.

I just use Garmin's version of the same on my D shaped post:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/521461

There's obviously a slight gap at the rear, but I can live with it.
This is what I use too.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:04 PM

I use that one as well. Issue is my not so massive thighs still clip the "ears" when I ride. Love the one that mmendoza87 designed. Love to print it myself using something fancy if he would be willing to share the file.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:11 PM

Hey all,

I switched to a bike that uses a round 27.2mm seatpost, so I ended up redesigning the mount from the original post, greatly simplifying and lightening it (also making it cheaper to print). I made 2 versions: one specific to the Allied Alfa which has a horizontal frame cut-off at the seatpost and one that has a perpendicular cutoff (like what a standard seat post collar would result in.) It uses a grub screw (Mcmaster #92605A100) instead of a nut and M3 screw, like my previous design. The grub screw pushes against a "flap" printed inside the mount which then presses against the seatpost. To prevent any scratching, you just need a piece of tape between the mount and the seatpost. It holds pretty well and looks super slim.

The final weight is just 7g with grub screw.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:30 AM

This is great and that’s the same frame I’m looking to match up with. Really like how integrated you designed this.

Would it be possible to point me in the direction on how I can get one or better yet post a link to the stl file that would be great.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:04 AM
#RYFB

I too would be interested in purchasing one of these (for standard round 27.2 post). If you've posted it to Shapeways, can you provide the link? And if not, perhaps you can share the design so that we could order one?

Even better, maybe -- if there's sufficient volume from forum members maybe someone could arrange a bulk purchase including the McMaster piece? I have no experience dealing with 3D print designs or Shapeways so I'm reluctant to volunteer, but happy to assist.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:14 AM

I would like to purchase for 27.2 also