Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
...(snippage)... further limited to mostly -17d angles, though there are some zero degree stems out there. Finding the combo you need in order to use the bar you want is often not possible. Plus the result is likely heavier and less stiff than the above adapter.
For most "languishing old bikes" -17 degrees is the only choice you need unless you have neck or back problems. As far as stiffness goes, I ain't the strongest dude around, but I've never had a single 1 inch quill stem that I felt was noodly. Maybe you stronger guys have, but none of my Cinelli, TTT,
Modolo, or Deda quill stems have ever felt anything but solid to me. I also don't find 26 mm aluminum bars too flexy, but YMMV.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:42 PM

OK, but my actual point was that old bikes are not ‘languishing’ due to a lack of available quill stems. There are three basic degrees (90,73, and whatever extreme angle the Jaguar style stem is) plus those totally variable ones that are kinda popular among the hybrid set. Plus you can get said quill stems in a variety of lengths from, oh, 60 to 130 cm.

In other words, there are plenty of new and used quills out there that work perfectly well with one inch threaded steerers, and that will get any rider where they want to be in terms of both fit and aesthetics.

I like a threaded stem as much as the next guy, have one on my sole carbon bike. Lovely thing, set it up once, never had to change it since. Have an adaptor on another bike, set it up once, never had to change it since.

So, yeah, the piece posted by the OP is pretty neat. Just don’t see it as being a savior of languishing bikes.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Just don’t see it as being a savior of languishing bikes.
I agree. I missed that comment.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:58 AM

I’ve got one too, they’re pretty great
Old 10-22-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith View Post
it's marketed as a way to revive languishing old bikes, and it's hard to imagine most casual rec riders plunking down that kind of money to ride their old bike.....
That's a bit of a disingenuous interpretation of the 'marketing'. Did you even watch the install video? How many 'casual rec riders' have a De Rosa frame and fork in mint condition laying around?

As the guy who designed it and assembles each and every one, I'm well aware that there are cheaper solutions out there. The innicycle headset wasn't created to compete with those solutions, much like plenty of other high end cycling components don't compete with their far cheaper sorta-equivalents (do I even need to list examples here?). I wanted to create a no-compromises solution for using a 1 1/8" threadless stem on a 1" threaded fork. I accomplished my goal and decided to offer it up for sale to like-minded others.

If that isn't your thing, that's cool. To all of the retro grouches of the world, I'm sorry my product and its price insults you. I'm sorry that a few editors of a big website got excited about it and wrote a short piece on it. Maybe if you, too, saw it in person you might change your mind.

If you happen to ride a 52cm or 58cm frame and live anywhere near DE, you are welcome to pop over and ride one of my bikes. I'll even offer to install one on your bike if you decide you like it enough to try it. Hell, if anyone takes me up on this offer I'd probably be happy to give you one just for being brave enough to confront your greatest fear: that something modern might actually be better
Old 10-22-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fat_and_slow View Post
For most "languishing old bikes" -17 degrees is the only choice you need unless you have neck or back problems. As far as stiffness goes, I ain't the strongest dude around, but I've never had a single 1 inch quill stem that I felt was noodly. Maybe you stronger guys have, but none of my Cinelli, TTT,
Modolo, or Deda quill stems have ever felt anything but solid to me. I also don't find 26 mm aluminum bars too flexy, but YMMV.
I was blown away when I moved from 1" threaded stems to 1 1/8" threadless. I loved my Mondonico-built Torelli, but the TTT stems I used (Synthesis and Status models) were noodles. I could never imagine going back. If I ever built up a bike with a 1" threaded steerer again, I would definitely consider this threadless adapter.

Greg
Old 10-22-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejack951 View Post
That's a bit of a disingenuous interpretation of the 'marketing'. Did you even watch the install video? How many 'casual rec riders' have a De Rosa frame and fork in mint condition laying around?

As the guy who designed it and assembles each and every one, I'm well aware that there are cheaper solutions out there. The innicycle headset wasn't created to compete with those solutions, much like plenty of other high end cycling components don't compete with their far cheaper sorta-equivalents (do I even need to list examples here?). I wanted to create a no-compromises solution for using a 1 1/8" threadless stem on a 1" threaded fork. I accomplished my goal and decided to offer it up for sale to like-minded others.

If that isn't your thing, that's cool. To all of the retro grouches of the world, I'm sorry my product and its price insults you. I'm sorry that a few editors of a big website got excited about it and wrote a short piece on it. Maybe if you, too, saw it in person you might change your mind.

If you happen to ride a 52cm or 58cm frame and live anywhere near DE, you are welcome to pop over and ride one of my bikes. I'll even offer to install one on your bike if you decide you like it enough to try it. Hell, if anyone takes me up on this offer I'd probably be happy to give you one just for being brave enough to confront your greatest fear: that something modern might actually be better
Hey, thanks for chiming in and apologies if you took my comments as flak, that certainly wasn't the intention! I was really just feeling for input on the riders here as I think the represent a more passionate 10% of the general cycling community with a broad range of riding/tech interests. It looks like a very slick and well designed product with a perfectly viable use case.

And as far as the marketing bit, I did misspeak, as I was referring to the copy in the Cyclingtips article rather than your own info.

I applaud your innovation, more options (especially good looking ones) are always appreciated