Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2020, 01:04 PM

Ybb

Are any other builders making metal frames with a YBB-type of system in the rear? Moots won't do the additional bits and bobs I want to add to its Routt YBB frame.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:51 PM

Dean might give it a whirl. They've just built a new frame with the latest whizz bang couplers.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:54 PM

Other than Moots and Litespeed, has any builder been making softtails in the last 10 years? Seven used to make the Teres, and there were the Dean Duke and Ibis Silk ti. Litespeed still makes the Unicoi, but the shock is in a location that works for a mtb only afaict.

What bits and bobs do you want that Moots won't accommodate? Years ago, before Moots introduced the Routt YBB, I asked them to build me what is essentially a Routt YBB, and they wouldn't do it. I was going to put a Lefty fork on it. Ended up getting a Firefly.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=happycampyer;2816279]Other than Moots and Litespeed, has any builder been making softtails in the last 10 years? Seven used to make the Teres, and there were the Dean Duke and Ibis Silk ti. Litespeed still makes the Unicoi, but the shock is in a location that works for a mtb only afaict.

What bits and bobs do you want that Moots won't accommodate? Years ago, before Moots introduced the Routt YBB, I asked them to build me what is essentially a Routt YBB, and they wouldn't do it. I was going to put a Lefty fork on it. Ended up getting a Firefly.[/QUOTE

Thanks. Water bottle mounts on the seat stays. Top tube mounts. Nothing too outrageous. I just want to carry more water and more food for long and hot gravel day rides, and trips.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:52 PM

Got it. The toptube mounts surprise me, but the seatstay mounts don’t. The frame is already dealing with the stresses of a YBB rear fork, and the weight of water bottles just adds a major unknown to that equation. You could get a Rodeo Labs Spork fork that has water bottle mounts, or have a steel fork made (a rack might come in handy for those types of rides).

The YBB on a bike like the Routt is a pretty unique beast. And the YBB unit is more elegant than any suspension seatpost with a similar amount of travel.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
Got it. The toptube mounts surprise me, but the seatstay mounts don’t. The frame is already dealing with the stresses of a YBB rear fork, and the weight of water bottles just adds a major unknown to that equation. You could get a Rodeo Labs Spork fork that has water bottle mounts, or have a steel fork made (a rack might come in handy for those types of rides).

The YBB on a bike like the Routt is a pretty unique beast. And the YBB unit is more elegant than any suspension seatpost with a similar amount of travel.
Upper and lower rack mounts are an option, if I remember correctly. Therefore it surprises me that a couple of seat stay cages and bottles would present structural and mechanical engineering issues. A rack and bags must be putting more stress on the YBB and stays than cages and bottles.

I was thinking of running a Lauf Grit SL fork. I want a magic carpet ride.

Last edited by jpw; 10-22-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:48 PM

I have a couple of racks that clamp onto seat posts that could probably hold enough for you. One came with an integrated bag that snaps in place but it could accommodate any bag within its size range or you could probably just strap bottles to the rack. I also have an assortment of Rivendell and Carradice saddle bags from medium to huge. All of these worked on my Hampsten Strada Bianca built by MOOTS.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:03 PM
v a n i l l a

Routt YBB is a sweet bike. I came up behind a woman who had bought one for a special present to herself. you could see the rear damping. She completely blinged it with the chirs king matte punch BB, HS, hubs.

what about those hbar bags that go next to the headtube?

I would also rather have the YBB over a suspension seatpost if your comfort needs more than pressure and volume to solve.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:27 PM

Curtlo? I know he did make a soft-tail. Though maybe it had an air shock...?
Old 10-24-2020, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
Curtlo? I know he did make a soft-tail. Though maybe it had an air shock...?
Thanks. I'm looking, but such a slow website to load. Agonising experience.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:32 AM

Chris Dekerf maybe worth talking to. He did a soft tail years ago, now that he is really into custom, he may be willing to do one again.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
Chris Dekerf maybe worth talking to. He did a soft tail years ago, now that he is really into custom, he may be willing to do one again.
Thanks. I'll take a look.

Is the design of the YBB micro suspension unit proprietary to Moots, or is 'YBB' simply the branding of a generic system many builders could assemble? I'm just wondering if Moots fabricates all the components in the unit or if it buys them off the shelf from suppliers.

Last edited by jpw; 10-24-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:36 AM

The term “YBB” was coined by Moots—it’s a whimsical acronym of sorts for “Why Be Beat?” The more generic term is “soft tail.” Sort of like “Kleenex” and “facial tissue.”

The parts that Moots uses for its YBB units are proprietary, and have evolved over the years. The current version is much sleeker than prior versions.

If you look at photos of other builders’ soft tails, you will typically see different versions. Not sure if Moots ever provided YBB parts to other builders bitd, but even if they did, I doubt they would today. Perhaps Butch will chime in—if he wasn’t at Moots when the YBB was developed, he built thousands of them over the years, and could speak to the evolution of the design.

For a while, Moots also made a YBB Air, but haven’t in over a decade. That shock was off-the-shelf iirc. I think the Litespeed Unicoi uses an air shock. Imo I’d be shocked (pun intended) if anyone else can produce a soft tail as refined as a Moots.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
The term “YBB” was coined by Moots—it’s a whimsical acronym of sorts for “Why Be Beat?” The more generic term is “soft tail.” Sort of like “Kleenex” and “facial tissue.”

The parts that Moots uses for its YBB units are proprietary, and have evolved over the years. The current version is much sleeker than prior versions.

If you look at photos of other builders’ soft tails, you will typically see different versions. Not sure if Moots ever provided YBB parts to other builders bitd, but even if they did, I doubt they would today. Perhaps Butch will chime in—if he wasn’t at Moots when the YBB was developed, he built thousands of them over the years, and could speak to the evolution of the design.

For a while, Moots also made a YBB Air, but haven’t in over a decade. That shock was off-the-shelf iirc. I think the Litespeed Unicoi uses an air shock. Imo I’d be shocked (pun intended) if anyone else can produce a soft tail as refined as a Moots.
Thanks for that. I had kind of assumed that it was a proprietary design as I haven't seen any other builders with a system that looks much at all like the YBB.

I think I'll have to contact a dealer and see if they can get Moots to budge on the little bits and pieces I would like to have added to the Routt frame.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:52 AM

Another thought of a person to ask - Steve Potts. He did John Castellano's version of the silk ti and may be willing to do a more custom version.