Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 09:27 PM

I have a friend that has the hakka and he's got nothing but superlatives for it.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 10-18-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
https://standert.de/collections/erdg...eset-bubblegum

I expect more color announcements and stock in the next month or so. Not a lot of cx race bikes are really meant for a 650b conversion, that's for sure more on the bikepacking side. I'm pretty partial to this brand, and I also don't super love ti. 5 year warranty and a decent crash replacement program. T47, standard everything else. Definitely worth a look imo.
You have one?
Old 10-19-2020, 08:13 AM

The Otso Warakin Ti checks most of your boxes:

https://otsocycles.com/collections/warakin-ti-bikes
Old 10-19-2020, 09:51 AM

I'm a big proponent of the metal gravel bike. If you like lynskey geo why not grab the lynskey. Threaded BB's are great but putting a threaded BB into a carbon frame is so backwards to me.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbellrun23 View Post
I'm a big proponent of the metal gravel bike. If you like lynskey geo why not grab the lynskey. Threaded BB's are great but putting a threaded BB into a carbon frame is so backwards to me.
One of the other reasons I like the idea of the lynskey for myself is the threaded BB. I want to be able to work on it if I have to. I know it'll take a while for me to get better at working on the hydraulic brakes, but I can do a brake job on my cars so it shouldn't be too bad on a bike!
Old 10-19-2020, 10:29 AM

For what it’s worth press fit bottom brackets are just as easy to work on as threaded ones if you just get the right tools.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:32 AM

I did check out the Otso, but it is above my price range. I think if I was to get that close to 3k I would just save up a bit more and go with a Honey or something else from one the smaller custom builders. Much like the Bearclaw thunderhawk, it’s a cool looking frame but if I’m going to spend that much I think I rather jump to something a bit, I don’t know what the word is, not nicer but more boutique?

I’m still trying to figure out the geometry and it has been fun looking at all of the suggestions. I keep leaning towards the GR Race now, but the 1x only aspect of it gives me pause and it’s at the high end of my price range. It’s always, well for a couple hundred more I could get this instead of that. Next I know I’m way over budget.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:13 PM

Merlin

I ordered a Merlin Sandstone a few weeks ago. Right when Ekar was released, so spec'd that. Just added couplers too. I loved my Merlin Extralight (yes, I know that it is not the same builders, but look similar

They were good to work with and the frames are reasonable for custom Ti. You may want to check them out.

I had an OPEN U.P. with a single speed DA DI2 setup. It was a nice bike but I have found I prefer Ti and mechanical. Plus, I'm a Campy guy at hart!

I asked about getting some Enve's with the new N3W but there are none yet.

G
Old 10-19-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpl916 View Post

I asked about getting some Enve's with the new N3W but there are none yet.
I've asked Reynolds too, and was told they're on the way, but not available yet.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:34 AM

The gr300 is tempting but I’m afraid it will climb sluggish
Old 10-22-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
The gr300 is tempting but I’m afraid it will climb sluggish
Yeah the reviews talk about having long chainstays which makes for a more stable ride. But that might impact how it feels on climbs, but I’m struggling with what that really means in real life. I guess I haven’t ever really paid attention on different bikes. Probably just because I’m focusing on the pain to get to the top of the hill in my legs.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
Yeah the reviews talk about having long chainstays which makes for a more stable ride. But that might impact how it feels on climbs, but I’m struggling with what that really means in real life. I guess I haven’t ever really paid attention on different bikes. Probably just because I’m focusing on the pain to get to the top of the hill in my legs.
Yeah it’s very worrying to me, I’m sensitive to climbing feel on bikes. Besides that it checks all the boxes. Maybe it still climbs good though?