Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2020, 09:19 AM

Mellow Dirt: Bring the Gravel Bike or Hardtail?

Just reread KJMUNC's fun ride report here: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ight=headlands

In the Bay Area, we don't actually have any real gravel. But we have lots of dirt. A few buddies and I are thinking of heading over to Mt Tam/Headlands this weekend. Haven't decided on the route yet, but it will definitely be "dirtcentric" with a little bit of pavement mixed in. Maybe BoRidge and Old Railroad Grade or some combination of the Tennessee Valley Loop.

I haven't cycled any of this area in awhile since Redwood Regional Park/Joaquin Miller is right in my backyard.

For people that have access to mellower fire roads, what's the determining factor in which bike you take? FWIW, my gravel bike is geared 31/36 which should be fine for the climbs in that region.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:27 AM
Resident Slacker

I'd say run what ya brung. You're always going to find yourself over/underbiking no matter what bike you bring if there's any mix of dirt and paement. More important is that you and your buddies are on similar bikes. Otherwise the gravel guys are going to be waiting for the hardtail guys on pavement and hardpack, and the hardtail guys are going to be waiting for the cx bike guys at the bottom of Coast View or anything super loose, rutted or chunky. Fitness and skillz being equal of course.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:01 AM

if not solo...

don't be the one wearing shorts to a pants party

I mean coordinate with your buddies--if they are MTBing, that's how I'd roll.

IF you will head off solo anyway, then to me what makes mellow dirt fun is speed.

When we did a trip to Sedona, my wife and youngest were mainly comfortable on the Bell Rock trail. We all rode together for about 1/2 of it, then my older son and I took off as fast as we could--so much fun.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:40 AM

No shortage of Marin folks here who can weigh in, but when I lived in SF I ran the gravel bike if I was sticking to the South or East side of Mt. Tam and almost always preferred a hardtail on the northern or western slopes. A gravel bike is totally appropriate all over the Tam watershed, though... just depends on how much you want to get bounced around.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwhisperer View Post
No shortage of Marin folks here who can weigh in, but when I lived in SF I ran the gravel bike if I was sticking to the South or East side of Mt. Tam and almost always preferred a hardtail on the northern or western slopes. A gravel bike is totally appropriate all over the Tam watershed, though... just depends on how much you want to get bounced around.
Hey Fish thanks for the feedback (and to others as well). I'm embarrassed to admit that geography is not my strong point. By South and East, you mean areas like Bolinas Ridge and Old Railroad Grade? And the Tam watershed is the Marin Headlands? Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:26 AM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwhisperer View Post
+1

For the route that OP is planning to do (Headlands, ORR), a gravel bike would be perfectly fine. If they plan on doing Bo Ridge, it depends how far into it and which direction they'll be taking. Lower/covered section is fine on a gravel bike since it's mostly loamy stuff. Upper/open section is doable on a gravel bike, but bumpy and uncomfortable (might be an understatement for some). Best suited for a hardtail or full squish IMO.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
By South and East, you mean areas like Bolinas Ridge and Old Railroad Grade? And the Tam watershed is the Marin Headlands? Thanks for the clarification.
Make the East/West peaks of Mt. Tam the center point.

Anything south or to the east, is fine with your gravel bike. North and west of those peaks, might want to consider an mtb. With the exception of the the Tamalpais watershed, which cover the trails around the lake just north of the Tam peaks--Lagunitas, Bon Tempe, Alpine, Phoenix. These are pretty chill.

fishwhisperer's proposed a good general rule of thumb.

Last edited by slowpoke; 10-22-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:32 AM

Specific loop

I think the ideal bike for riding in Marin depends on specific loop.

But here are some things that may help you with your choice.
1.) What are others riding? If they are on mountain bikes- you should too.
2.) What specific loop? Headlands is steep but pretty neutral in terms of surface.
Bolinas Ridge? Riding North from Ridgecrest I much prefer a mountain bike. Same if riding South (from either Olema or Jewell).
But if riding South from Randall- A gravel bike is great.
3.) What distance? Some prefer gravel for longer rides because it offers more positions.

Let us know what loop you choose.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I think the ideal bike for riding in Marin depends on specific loop.

But here are some things that may help you with your choice.
1.) What are others riding? If they are on mountain bikes- you should too.
2.) What specific loop? Headlands is steep but pretty neutral in terms of surface.
Bolinas Ridge? Riding North from Ridgecrest I much prefer a mountain bike. Same if riding South (from either Olema or Jewell).
But if riding South from Randall- A gravel bike is great.
3.) What distance? Some prefer gravel for longer rides because it offers more positions.

Let us know what loop you choose.
Thanks John.

The two options I was thinking about were

A) Starting at the Pelican Inn and heading up the Coast View Trail, connecting with ORR, taking Ridgecrest back to Highway 1 and arriving back at Pelican Inn.

B) Starting at Olema, cycling Bolinas Ridge to BoFax Rd and Highway 1 back to Olema.

It’s obviously a drag taking your MTB on the pavement. I haven’t done Bolinas in a long, long time. It looks like some Forum members think suspension is better there.

Also: we all have both MTBs and gravel bikes, so we could bring either.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:47 AM
Resident Slacker

Quote:
Thanks John.

A) Starting at the Pelican Inn and heading up the Coast View Trail, connecting with ORR, taking Ridgecrest back to Highway 1 and arriving back at Pelican Inn.

B) Starting at Olema, cycling Bolinas Ridge to BoFax Rd and Highway 1 back to Olema.

It’s obviously a drag taking your MTB on the pavement. I haven’t done Bolinas in a long, long time. It looks like some Forum members think suspension is better there.

I'd go up Deer Park over Coast View. Everyone rips down Coast View and there are some tight blind turns where you might run into someone bombing on a full squish.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudAwkning View Post
I'd go up Deer Park over Coast View. Everyone rips down Coast View and there are some tight blind turns where you might run into someone bombing on a full squish.
Agreed, Coastal View is a much better descent (that way you get the views!), and is worth bringing the MTB for. It's actually the trail that got me back into suspension as it's a rough and tumble ride downhill on a gravel bike.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:16 PM

mtb

I think both of those are more mountain bike loops than road loops. But you could tweak either to do even less on the road.

A.) Start by going up Middle Green Gulch, then Miwok back to Hwy. 1, get on Gravity Car to ORR, Then Old Stage back to Pantoll, go down Coast View.

B.) Olema up Bolinas Ridge (really bumpy from cattle) to Randall- Down Randall, Cross the street and go North On Olema Valley trail. Pop out on Highway 1 and you are fairly close to Olema.

Quote:
Thanks John.

Old 10-22-2020, 01:03 PM

How fit are you right now?

I've biked Marin less than others here, but my sense was that most of this is rideable on a gravel bike, but some of the rougher stuff would take more energy. If you're tired, sometimes it's nice if the bike makes the terrain easier. On the other hand, if you're feeling particularly fit and pushing it, sometimes it's fun to have to work the terrain a little bit harder.

If you're looking at a route that you think will be challenging for you, I'd bring the MTB. If you're looking at a route that you think will be a fun route you can push the pace on, take the gravel bike.