Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
One last question, Does the seller have to pay fees on the return?
I believe paypal changed their policy recently to not refund the seller the fees they originally paid on the transaction, when the seller refunds your money. It's not your problem but if you really feel badly about it you can tell the seller you'll reimburse him the fees after you've gotten all your money back.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
I believe paypal changed their policy recently to not refund the seller the fees they originally paid on the transaction, when the seller refunds your money. It's not your problem but if you really feel badly about it you can tell the seller you'll reimburse him the fees after you've gotten all your money back.
i would find a way not to feel bad about the fees
Old 11-15-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
One last question, Does the seller have to pay fees on the return?
If he issues a refund paypal will not keep the procentage they take for the transaction as in the end there was no transaction to take procentage of. So dont really know what he means. He should not be out any more cash other than that he now has a broken frame but chances are he allrdy knew that. Or not perhaps..

Edit: Oh okay if there was a recent change about reimbursing fees on refunds that is a possibility. I just know it did not used to be like that.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:31 PM

In my prior experience, PP only keeps the fees if it goes into a dispute and PP decides against you. In theory the seller should also be on the hook for shipping in both directions. If things have changed I would like to know.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
This seems correct. Good to know:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/20/2...rs-controversy

To the OP, I would press him to resolve it with you earlier in his best interest, but it matters little now, as you already started the claim.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:38 PM

OP, I smell a scam here. What the seller said about pp refund fees doesn't make sense. If he refunds you in cash, he is still out the 5% that pp charged him anyway. My guess is he has no intention of refunding you.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
The guy sold you a cracked frame, that almost seems like a dishonest thing to begin with. He either refunds you immediately (Same Day you contact him), or you go through paypal and forget about him entirely. Why are you caring if he gets hit with fees on the refund? You're totally ignoring the crack in the frame. That crack didn't appear magically like Lucky Charms. He knew it was there. Each one of us inspects our frames in the event of a fly landing on them.. A crack in carbon came from a huge impact, so I'm going to go on a limb and say he knew about it...
Old 11-15-2019, 01:41 PM

F this nonsense. take videos and pics of the frame and ship the thing back. upload the tracking info to paypal and let them deal with the seller.
i don't care if it's a bike or book, this is shady as hell.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:47 PM

I greatly appreciate all the feedback. This is my first time having an issue with a paypal purchase. Quite the learning experience.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
this is shady as hell.
i dont know, maybe, maybe not. i like to give people the benefit of the doubt and the chance to do the right thing.

i would not be rude or accusatory in any way, it could have been a simple mistake or oversight. i would just politely inform the seller that you will be using the paypal provided process to initiate a return and leave it at that.

as mentioned, document the crack, and better if you have something in writing from the bike shop confirming that it is a crack.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
If he issues a refund paypal will not keep the procentage they take for the transaction as in the end there was no transaction to take procentage of. So dont really know what he means. He should not be out any more cash other than that he now has a broken frame but chances are he allrdy knew that. Or not perhaps..

Edit: Oh okay if there was a recent change about reimbursing fees on refunds that is a possibility. I just know it did not used to be like that.
Paypal changed it's policy on fees. They are now keeping the 2.9%+$0.30 even if you refund the full amount.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i dont know, maybe, maybe not. i like to give people the benefit of the doubt and the chance to do the right thing.

i would not be rude or accusatory in any way, it could have been a simple mistake or oversight. i would just politely inform the seller that you will be using the paypal provided process to initiate a return and leave it at that.

as mentioned, document the crack, and better if you have something in writing from the bike shop confirming that it is a crack.
Yeah I trust him that it was an honest mistake. He said its his father in-laws and he is selling for him. It just seems like a very strange way to do a return. Before consulting this forum, I felt like I was between a rock and a hard place. Also when i took it to the bike shop, I got a printed receipt and an email confirming the crack, so we are good there.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
Paypal changed it's policy on fees. They are now keeping the 2.9%+$0.30 even if you refund the full amount.
Do does that mean I loose out on the 2.9% even when refunded the full amount?
Old 11-15-2019, 02:56 PM

I don't understand the seller's logic here. If he refunds you in person, Paypal keeps the fee. If he refunds you via Paypal, Paypal keeps the fee.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I don't understand the seller's logic here. If he refunds you in person, Paypal keeps the fee. If he refunds you via Paypal, Paypal keeps the fee.
Excellent point. Did not even think of it that way.

Tags
cracked bike, paypal, scam