Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Peloton will go to the same graveyard as the Bowflex, Tae Bo, the Thighmaster, Jane Fonda videos ab rollers, Wii Fit, boot camps, power plates, Nordic Track, Couch to 5k programs, cleansing/juicing, medicine balls, kettlebells, heavy ropes, Crossfit, and many others too soonforgotten.

Peloton WILL however, be great at collecting dust, hanging your clothes on, and dressing up your living room, where visitors will see it and nod approvingly in the knowledge of how wealthy your are to afford such an expensive subscription device, like cable tv.
You forgot P90X and Shake Weight.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:13 AM

My experience

My kids bought a Peloton without asking me. They both use 2-3 times a week and are happy. I tired when visiting and the class aspect was good and I was doing a recorded class. I have been to hundreds of spinning classes and I thought the experience was good.

I think the power calibration on the one I was using was way off based on my performance. You can't easily recalibrate. i agree w most of the prev comments that another option would be better but for your typical non bike owning person the Peloton is good. For real riders any wheel on trainer such as a Kickr SNAP or others would be much better. Use the app of your choice on a tablet.

I do think Peloton is a real company and onto something here but not for the serious cyclist.

I have a Kurt Kinetic trainer you can buy used for $125 and their $50 power meter and I have a better setup than Peloton.

Alan
Old 10-24-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Yeah, those cracked me up. Then I put up a picture of the master bedroom I'm finishing and that was one of the first cracks--that I needed to get a Peloton...
Hardwood floors, views of the out doors, plenty of dedicated space... Perfect!
Old 10-24-2019, 09:28 AM

It's really hard for me to believe one in a hotel or gym would actually get beat up unless the quality is horrifically bad.

The average person in the gym seems to never pedal the bike above zone 1 compared to cyclists outside.

Granted people do ride harder in the spin classes but good good.. they weigh 50+ lbs most of the time they should never have any flex or anything happening.

We take for granted how amazingly nice our bikes are though. I really notice this with gym equipment and a lot of it is very expensive.

When my wife got her Nordic Track treadmill I assembled that and a $150 Huffy bike the same week that we were giving to a child as a gift. The build quality on the Huffy was worlds better than the multi-thousand dollar treadmill. The build quality on a lot of that gym equipment is so bad the holes/threads are not even accurate to much better than 1/4".
Old 10-24-2019, 09:39 AM

As for Peloton financials that seems to be the new business as usual.

The whole point of the IPO is to leave the public holding the bag for their failed business model.. the CEO/Founders + early/institutional investors will take the IPO money and run. It has become incredibly common. I worked for a software company that did it. (I left way before they pulled off the IPO with accelerating losses as I could tell it was a bad place to be...)
Old 10-24-2019, 09:54 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Haven't followed the whole thread but for $20 bucks per month you can subscribe to the digital progams and run on your tablet, link to a tv etc and just use your bike gears and any trainer to change resistance - then its an at home 24/7 spin class if that's your thing. Also has a ton of yoga classes etc, etc.

I hate indoor riding but need to do something more consistent this winter. I'd tried the free demo project and have done a few of the yoga classes and one spin class. Combined with Zwift maybe I can stand it for rainy day workouts for a few months.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
My wife wants one of these things. I am not gonna lie, I have done a class (not peloton but a competitor) in nyc and it was actually a blast. I could put her bike on my trainer and have her do zwift but its not the same thing, I don't actually think she would enjoy it (and she does not like her bike, more of a 1x townie).

Anyone have one of these? Is this a dumb idea? I figure it will be good and easy (but that I mean convenient) for her, she is usually super busy and this might be great for her. The price is my only thing, $2000 + membership. Not like we don't have bikes that cost that but what will stop her from never using it and here we are out of 2k and with an ugly bike in the office. I know Id probably use it too though, those spin classes are great imo.
Your wife doesn't care what a bunch of men on a bike forum think.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:38 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Your wife doesn't care what a bunch of men on a bike forum think.
lol. after 3 pages I will have to concur.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Peloton will go to the same graveyard as the Bowflex, Tae Bo, the Thighmaster, Jane Fonda videos ab rollers, Wii Fit, boot camps, power plates, Nordic Track, Couch to 5k programs, cleansing/juicing, medicine balls, kettlebells, heavy ropes, Crossfit, and many others too soonforgotten.
Good thing I held on to my sister's Step Reebok and Teen Steam VHS tapes. That is going to fund my retirement.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:09 PM

My live- in GF wanted one...but via the price of the thing and the monthly fee and her previous exercise track record thankfully I talked her out of it...rather, I picked up a barely used Lemond Rev Master for a hundred bucks...which as far as I can tell is pretty much the same as the peloton but without a screen loaded onto the front and no numbers...that thing is well built and will never die as far as I can see...she found some sites on roku and apple tv that have taped spin classes for free...she's happy with the set up...I also rigged up a wahoo speed/cadence thing for her on it using a toilet plunger handle and she does Zwift as well...
Old 10-24-2019, 05:57 PM

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/b...006176432.html
Old 10-24-2019, 07:30 PM

The downfall is beginning...
Old 10-24-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
The downfall is beginning...
damn, listed for barely half of original MSRP...

the ones around here are listed for ~$1800...

on the NYC craiglist, there are quite a few. Variously described as used for less than 20 miles, barely used, used three times.

Lots of expensive cloth hangers...
Old 10-24-2019, 10:08 PM
aka RAEKWON

the ones under 1800 are rare. I am on the lookout an see what pops up... 1100 is a decent price though and maybe I could swing it but I would have to somehow figure out how to transport that thing upstate.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:10 PM

Enterprise rent-a-van would be my choice. Probably $200 ish with fuel and tolls