Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2019, 09:01 PM

Havent touch one of those things in centuries but the easy way is this, no cotter extractor thingy needed :P

Just lose the small nut a few turns till is flush with the top. Grab a hammer and hit it on top of the nut, if you want to be more carefull use a piece of wood on top and then hammer the wood... samething... as the cotter moves the arm will get lose, pretty obvious after that, remove the cotter and you are good to go.

Same thing with the other arm... no rocket science, if the cotters are ok re use them, if not measure them and replace them but honestly I doubt they will be bad.

Remove the BB axle anyway you want because is pretty much straight forward, remove the nuts blah blah... clean everything as you do with any other bb, reinstall the thing.

When you never had the tool to remove those things you have to get creative.... hammer time!... if you have a rubber mallet I would not use it because you really need to hit the cotter firmly.

Good luck.

ps: i know the ones that do everything by the book will say im crazy... :P
Old 11-16-2019, 10:54 PM
Randomhead

That bike looks old enough to have French threads. Sometime later they switched to Swiss threads, which are the same thread size/pitch as French, but the one cup is left hand threaded like BSA.

I'm glad I don't have to work with cottered cranks any more, but these were decent cranks. If the cotter pin isn't wallered out (technical term) I prefer to reuse them.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:13 AM

If you get the bike and can't borrow a cotter press locally, I'd be happy to loan mine to you. Just pay postage to/from Chicago. Or just buy one. Handy as a paper weight when not being used for its intended purpose. 😉

It's one of those tools I don't use often (just one bike in my fleet at the moment with a cottered crank), but it makes the job easy peasy.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
THAT was funny

To verify the BB threading, according to The Sutherland's Manual, "...if the fixed cup has 8 flats it is left threaded; if it has 2 flats it is right threaded. The manual also has info on how to identify the threading based on markings on the adjustable cup or lockring. You're welcome to PM me and I can help you identify it.

Also, the headset may be likewise non-English or Italian so be aware of this.
BB-if Marked 35by1..French threaded and threaded like Italian, right cup, 'right' threaded and lefty-loosey. If BSC, marked 1.37by 24 and RH cup left threaded, righty-loosey.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:22 AM
n - 1

Thank you for all the tips and inputs. I’ll let you know how it goes. Hopefully simple as what it appears to be.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:11 AM

Hahaha famous last words with cottered cranks
Old 11-17-2019, 10:33 AM

I sprung for a cotter press and life became sooooooooooooo much easier. It's worth it in my book even if you only deal with one of these every year or so.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I sprung for a cotter press and life became sooooooooooooo much easier. It's worth it in my book even if you only deal with one of these every year or so.
Agreed. And I could borrow one from a friend who lives in the general area. Still handier to buy my own.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:45 PM
Randomhead

I resolved never to own a cottered crank a long time ago. Although I think they made decent cottered cranks into the early '60s. They can be very frustrating and that was even back in the days where parts were still made.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:22 PM

To the OP, I and zzy have spoken from lengthy experience with these things.

Backing off the nut and/or using a press offer relatively little chance of not bending the precious, original, hardened cotters.

The "hot hammer" is your friend!

BTW, I do use a press on the majority of cottered cranks that it will fit on, having made such a press from a motorcycle chain pin tool about ten years ago.
It has been quite useful, and has proven strong enough to bend an un-heated cotter with too little effort.
But I now always heat the crank first. No more searching for good replacement cotters.

But, a hammer and thick punch can be ~equally effective at removing a well-heated crank cotter!
Something like a 3/8" drive extension bar or a thick length of all-thread rod can make an excellent punch if you grind a slight divot into the end to retain center over the threaded end of the cotter.
And, if you decide to leave the nut in place (good idea for the most part), remove the washer first to allow needed travel as the nut quickly contacts the crankarm. Then turn the nut so that the nut and the end of the cotter contact the drift punch (or press plunger) simultaneously. No good having all of the force going through the threads (I have seen them become stripped that way).
Original Peugeot cotters tend NOT to be wallered along their flats, as they are very hard, and were very tightly installed at the factory.

Upon re-installation, one must alternate between moderate hammer blows to the head of the cotter and re-applied torque on the nut. Repeat until the nut won't turn any further, and you will have replicated the sort of reliable installation achieved at the factory so many decades ago.

Last edited by dddd; 11-17-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:12 PM

".....and re-applied torque on the nut. "

This works but you have a problem tho, the threads of the cotter pin can go bye bye aswell, IME is not just go and tight that thing till doesnt move no more. IMO is more like how good is the guy at using the tools and how good is at to sense when something is ok and know when to stop.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
".....and re-applied torque on the nut. "

This works but you have a problem tho, the threads of the cotter pin can go bye bye aswell, IME is not just go and tight that thing till doesnt move no more. IMO is more like how good is the guy at using the tools and how good is at to sense when something is ok and know when to stop.
When dddd said "until the nut won't turn any further", they weren't saying that you should keep increasing torque until the nut stops responding to more torque, but that you should repeat the task until hammer taps no longer cause a secured nut to lose preload.

It's not about being good at using tools, it's about understanding what you're doing. Torquing the nut is used to check insertion, and at the end, to just have it be secured on there. The nut is not used to pull the cotter pin farther in, so it should never be getting brought anywhere into the remote vicinity of its torque limits. Even a ham-fisted mechanic shouldn't be at risk of damaging anything, unless they don't understand what the task they're doing is.

Last edited by HTupolev; 11-17-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:36 PM

I do get that... but how do you think I learn to use my tools?.... correct!.... I blew and good ammount of those cotters when i was a kid fixing my caloi 20 inches bike when I was a kid

Like this one but in red... btw no idea who that guy is :P

Got one of those made in chile bianchis aswell after I destroyed the caloi

Old 11-18-2019, 03:08 PM

The blue one looks like a cleverly versatile machine with the step thru and built-on rack of sorts. But trying to imagine what you used it for, as if you had perhaps taken those aggro fork gaiters seriously, lol.

At about your age, I was fortunate enough to have put together a sturdy Schwinn that covered all bases where the roads ended:

Last edited by dddd; 11-18-2019 at 03:12 PM.